Indian Motorcycle Community

A chief - and three harleys walk into a bar...

Gassing up this moring - I was talking to a few HD riders - And we were comparing the machines.  (Two Road Kings, My Chief, and a VRod)

We were discussing the pros and cons of IMC - Possible HD buyout - Accessories - Etc...

When the VRod rider asked me why I didn't trade "up" to a HD.

I informed him I traded "up" - When I replaced my 2000 Road King with my '03 Chief.

I then asked him how many miles he had on his 2002.  

His proud reply was "Less than 2500 - She's going to be a classic..."

I said that I thought they made fewer than 200 Black/White Chief Roadmasters in 2003 - And since HD made more than 20 times as many 2002 VRods - How did he figure his was a classic - And mine should be dumped.

He looked at the Road King riders and said "I just know - I wouldn't ride an Indian..."

And I simply stated - "And that's the way we Indian riders like it."

The other guys laughed and began ripping him a new one - About how he goes through more wax than gas...

Just then a little hottie walked up to me - And asked me if I had an extra helmet.

All the attention went to the Chief...

F'em.

Thanks, Danny

He looked at the Road King riders and said "I just know - I wouldn't ride an Indian..."

And I simply stated - "And that's the way we Indian riders like it."

YES!!!!

He Shoots... He Scores!!

WTG Danny!! :bvictory:  :bvictory:  :bvictory:  :bvictory:

Was watching the History Channel last nite - History of the Motorcycle.  Half of it dealt with the Indian/HD War.  Through out it noted that Indian was always the inovator and HD just followed all the way to 53.  Stated that Indian closed it's doors in 53 due to Upper Management misappropriations of funds.  That during it's run as the Best Motocyle in the country, when Indian was in Private Hands (H&H and Dupont) the company thrived.  When in Corporate hands, it failed!

HD was accounted for remaining in business and winning the military contract due to the fact that the company reamined mainly in Family Hands (and the fact that it had to build a Military 750cc in order to out do the Indian 500cc).

Here we are in 2003.  Indian Verses HD ws beginning all over again.  Things were heating up and getting fun.

Too bad they put the "C" in IMc.

Rid On!!

I had seen that History Channel show, was real cool. The statement "History repeats itself" really rings true with Indian. Hopefully it won't go like last time when the name got tied up in limbo. I liked that bit about the millitary bikes. They were both comissioned to build 500cc bikes and H-D cheated and built a 750.

It's real interesting to hear what people have to say about "Indian's a Harley clone", "Softail Scout", "S&S", and all the other comments. It's funny to hear a VRod guy asking silly questions. I get a bunch of ribbing from everyone, but it's all in fun for th most part.

I had one H-D guy giving me an earfull, so I asked him what he rode...

"95 Softail stand......."

I cut him off with,

"You mean like everyone else?"

Doesn't matter to me what people ride, I don't know why it matters to others what I ride.

"Trade up to an HD?!!" That individual must be smoking something good courtesy 1973 THI. They say we are what we eat,ware,drive etc.....

I would rather be the lone Indian Rider in a sea of Hardleys then give up the pleasure of riding the best bike on the road bar none! Even with all it's problems......

Indian Riders are not sheep........

Blue Lou :blues:  :rotfl:

I've got an ol' lady (no, we ain't married) thats been packin' on the back of my bike for 30 years. There have been others back there over the years and I've had the chance to ''trade up'' several times,but,I'm stickin' with the classic. 'Nuff said.

Having owned 2 other Harleys in my earlier riding days, I must say that what we are going through is nothing new to the vtwin market.  The very existance of the aftermarket parts, tells of improvement on the poor quality inherrant in OEM parts.  Without the need to improve, fix, or build a better mouse trap, we wouldn't be where we are today(the american vtwin market).  

Indian's have their problems, hardley's definatly have their problems and issues and so does every other american built bike.  If you really look at an 03 Chief, the number of differences are great. Stock chrome front end, tear drop light,chrome controls, hidden wiring, high perf brake system, 100 cubes of muscle, an awesome stock carb, better stock rake, much more comfortable ride than a softail, hidden oil bag, polished parts instead of the crap they have been throwin on the hogs and the pp100 has enough differences to make me happy, yet allows repair options.  

I look at it like this:

I could have built a custom for more money than my Indy.  Only had warranty on the products that actually come with one (I know, I would be ahead on that at the moment) but the issues would most likely been greater than the Chief.  I have something the others don't and deep down, they wish they did.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have an opinion regarding INDY.  

The company screwed up royally and those idiots should have realized that the dot com business model was a dismal failure.  People need to run companies that control excessive costs, make a product that stands out in all categories and excels in it's design and then we will see a product that will last the test of time.  12 execs at probably a quarter mil apiece before bonus, allowances and fat expense accounts; what the hell were they thinking, that an IPO would fix everything.  Investors just want the fast cash and keep making the same mistakes over and over again.  Yes it's a business and yes it should make money and lots of it, but not they way they went about it.

Whatever...My bike is mine, it has never been anyone else's and I aint' ever gonna give up the pink slip.  I can't wait to give it to my 2.5 year son when he's old enough.  It stands out in a sea of cookie cutter harley's with their well used aftermarket additons and people actually notice it's when it's anywhere but in my garage.

Hey Hardley... :rasp:  :laughlong:

:moped: I for one do not believe that we need to down talk any bike, let it be HD or any other make. We, along with everyone else, know what our bikes look like, and what they can do. Forget about IMC and lets get on with it, if it comes back greate if not, oh well. Lets just ride them and enjoy all the good vibes and  complements when on the road.  :D

ENGINE JOE, RIGHT ON! THE ONLY THING I'M COMPARING IS THE VALUE IN PERFORMANCE AND APPEARANCE(BANG FOR THE BUCK) APPLE TO APPLE. I WORK ON HARLEYS ALL THE TIME AND WOULD STILL BE RIDING ONE IF I DIDN'T HAVE THE EPIPHANY THAT THE INDIAN BRINGS. KNOW WHAT I MEAN? BUT, EVERY CUSTOMER I HAVE TALKED TO SAYS MAJORITY OF HD RIDERS ALL HAVE NEG COMM AND I GUESS ITS HUMAN NATURE TO JUSTIFY YOUR PURCHASE AS IT TENDS TO DEFINE YOUR OUTWARD APPEARANCE.

Owning 2 bikes built in the USA all I can say is I enjoy riding both.

2000 Chief made in the USA

2002 Gold Wing made in the USA

Both have their ups and downs both are a gas to ride.  Both have had recalls and warranty work.

Next bike may be an HD or a Guzzi, but I'll have to wait till I can afford a bigger garage cause it'll be parked beside the other 2.  One of the downsides to being a working class American.

Work to Live and Live to ride, whatever you plant your ass on be sure to enjoy it!

:moped: I for one do not believe that we need to down talk any bike, let it be HD or any other make. We, along with everyone else, know what our bikes look like, and what they can do. Forget about IMC and lets get on with it, if it comes back greate if not, oh well. Lets just ride them and enjoy all the good vibes and  complements when on the road.  :D

:moped: AMEN...........

SHIT,..in my younger days ,I rode a 500 Thophy, N "I" was #1 COOL DUDE   :rasp:

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Guest kycochise

Not quite sure why HD riders want to tell everyone what to ride! Personally, I own a 2001 Spirit and a 2001 HD Ultra, and my wife has a 2003 Scout. We love um all. That is the main reason I ride with the freedomcruisers. They believe in "what you ride, is YOUR choice". I have had a lot of different ones over the years: Kuckle, Hondas, Kaws and each one has its own quirks, but in their own ways, I loved them all! I just LOVE to ride, not tell everyone what KIND of scoot to ride on.

kycochise

Kentucky Freedomcruisers

My 02....

Anybody that compares or makes fun is not worth taking to - childish shit.

I have always owned HD's - but ------

I love the Chief, and Big Dogs.  Oops... Big Dogs - hey they are "kit" bikes.... screw the wise mouths..

When somebody knocks something, it shows me their confidence is up their poop shoot. If I ride a HD, Indian, Honda - no need for me to knock somebody else - no rides are superior. I'm sure many will agree that HD rides are more stable then Indian due to alot of nonsence from iMC quality, but if somebody wants an Indian - GOD BLESS - you don't need to answer to any asshole.

I know people that would never ride electric start or FI - they want kick start and carb, no Evo or Twin cam - so they know fellow late model HD's - more nuts....

Peace and ride on.......lets get a superior buyer that is serious about Indian and build on......

Jersey

Had a funny one happen Thursday.  Beck's commuter broke down and she managed to limp it into the parking lot of this little bitty Custom Bike shop.  After I got her to work and went back, pulled my trust .357 and put it out of it's misery, then proceeded inside to tell the owner that I had a tow truck on the way.  He said no prob and then noticed my Indian Cap and Jacket.  He asked if I was riding one of them there "Cloned Bikes" and I said not today.  After the typical debate (he did most of the talking) I looked back in his shop and noticed a bunch of nice looking customs.  I asked what he was building and he PROUDLY stated "HD Customs, one of a kind for the people he builds them for."  I looked him square and got the last word.  Told him it was kind of funny, Indian Comes back and you call them "CLONES".  On the other hand,  you chop and stretch a HD, put a fancy paint job on it add a LOT of Chrome and its a "CUSTOM".   My Clone came from the Factory complete, didn't need to be altered in any way shape or form to set me apart from the rest of the riders.

With that we smiled at each other, I told him I'd be back, cause I like his shop and his work, and I headed out the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of riding is bugging your friends about their ride. It's all in fun. The only people that are usally clued out are the one's who never rode, never even had a bike licence but they would be quick to point out that they wouldnt be got dead on anything not by HD. It's to those type of people I say f#!&off

The rest who I bug about there rides usally have a good comeback that is funny. We usally end up laugjng and going for beer's anyways. Mind you I don't normally need an excuse to go for beer's. If you get pissed at what people say all the time you should look at the source. If the person means nothing to you tell him to shut the fuck up and move on. Just my say cause I've noticed some people take offence to some of the slam's in this forum that I've found really funny.

Later Al

According to progressive insurance, Indian IS a custom.

:joker:

rode my 01 in to work today, 32 degrees F.  My fingertips froze off.  the ride home will make it all worthwhile.

:moped:

yeah and its 1500/year to insure one. what the fuck do they know.

I love it! I get the same stuff when my neighbor and his HD Roadking and I and my Black 03' Chief Roadmaster go riding. 9 times out of 10, I get the positive comments and he get's a simple "Hello". :charger:

Archived