Indian Motorcycle Community

Head gaskets

:shocked:

2003 Chief owner, love to ride when its not in the shop.

Attended the Ride on event, started it to leave, rear head gasket blew, was able to trot home to get repaired.

The following weekend went to the Love Ride, blew the same head gasket again, this time it was a $450 tow home.

It appears to be a timing issue, the rear cylinder wasn't firing on time.  The motor was shipped to Florida to be rebuilt since the last time, the Head & Cylinder was stripped right out of the case.

Anyone else with this problem?  I understand that once these motors are rebuilt by this Florida Company.  They are bullet proof!

Just curious but did they machine the head too or just change the gasket. Could be warped and you will keep blowing gaskets unless the head and jug are checked to make sure there flat if not they would machine them. Just wondering, Al

Yea! I had the same problem with my 2003 Vintage. We were out on toy run when my front head gasket blew. I am just lucky that I do my own wrenching. I noticed the bolts were only torqed 15 lbs. When I went back I torqed them 16 lbs + 1/4 of a turn no problem since then.

Indiandrifter!

Ride Hard  :cool:

Yea! I had the same problem with my 2003 Vintage. We were out on toy run when my front head gasket blew. I am just lucky that I do my own wrenching. I noticed the bolts were only torqed 15 lbs. When I went back I torqed them 16 lbs + 1/4 of a turn no problem since then.

Indiandrifter!

Ride Hard  :cool:

My 03 Chief blew the front at 6K miles back in August. Indian was reporting a problem with the factory assembly machine mis torqueing. Also the replacement gasket they sent was different (thicker, dual fiber). No problem since at 7500 miles, though I thought my back one was seeping a little oil. Seems to have stopped for now. Praying it will stay there until my extended warranty kicks in in June.

???

Lucky for warranties!  Yes, I assume that the Engine rebuilder "Blackhawk?" will machine all the right things, and re-time the motor (power plus 100).  I can't wait to be able to ride this puppy for 100 miles without something going wrong again.

I kept blowing the rear head.

I wonder if I'd be better off with the S&S motor, but the dealer recommended keeping it original.

???

Lucky for warranties!  Yes, I assume that the Engine rebuilder "Blackhawk?" will machine all the right things, and re-time the motor (power plus 100).  I can't wait to be able to ride this puppy for 100 miles without something going wrong again.

I kept blowing the rear head.

I wonder if I'd be better off with the S&S motor, but the dealer recommended keeping it original.

you'll be happy with the pp100 when ya get her right. Fortunately I haven't had the problems many have had so I've got to ride a lot. This motor is right. She runs great, sounds great, and looks great.

I had the same problem with my 03 Vintage.  My rear head gasket blew.  I had noticed oil seeping at the gasket a while back.  Then around 6000 miles it started spraying oil.  I do my own wrenching too.  I made it home and changed out the gasket.  No problems so far.

I did notice that the gasket didn't seem right from the time I bought the bike.  The fiber material inside the gasket had sqeezed out from between the metal outside sections of the gasket.  This was in the right rear corner of the rear jug.

Blew my rear head gasket at about 1500 miles the guys at Indian of Mesa told me it was because it wasn't jetted right after i put my new pipes on.  Running to lean got to hot and popped.  they replaced it for me under warranty even though they didn't install my pipes.  The owner of the shop is honoring the warranties of everyone that bought their bike there.

They had a hell of a time getting the right jetting also took them 3 times to get it right.Other wise I been riding it all the time. got about 2500 miles on it and love it.

• 2 months later...
Hmm doesnt sound good havent blown my head gasket yet 1500 miles was wondering what i can do to fix it when it goes or what o can do to keep it from blowing other than parking it

Hmm doesnt sound good havent blown my head gasket yet 1500 miles was wondering what i can do to fix it when it goes or what o can do to keep it from blowing other than parking it

there are a couple threads here talking about it if you do a search...

get a flashlight and look at the gasket and see if it appears to be seperating or has anything coming out of it...like oozing.

if it does or shows signs of the two copper portions splitting or coming apart...then order a new set from the factory or Frank at Blackhawke Motors...

There are threads about changing head gaskets in here where you do not have to remove the tanks and all unless you feel more comfortable....all you need is a service manual, torgue wrench, new gaskets and about 5-6 hours if it is your first time.

To prevent them from going....let them warm up before rolling the throttle hard.

Retorgue the head bolts according to specs to ensure they were done correctly at factory.

Best to replace them before they blow and leave you on the road or burn a cylinder in the process....but that is just me.  Mine blew at Daytona...replaced other when I got back for insurance.  Time will tell how good a job I did for my very first head gasket job... :laughlong:

It is very important with any aluminum EVO motor, Harley or otherwise, to warm up the engine before riding it. The heads should feel warm to the touch before riding it. The aluminum expands so much that the heads are purposely torqued looser than other engines.

Warming up seems to be a major part of the pp 100,my sources told me that the cylinders expand as much as 70 thousands from cold to warm.3,500 miles on a vintage and no major problems yet.

somebody please explain to me how the "rear cylinder is out of time" on a powerplus or any other evo????

mechanically I dont think it is possible..since a single cam is used unlike a Twin Cam or a Sportsters four cams.

Now electronically you can change some things between front and rear cylinders in ignition...but nobody is doing that and unless it was done at factory ON PURPOSE I doubt that is the issue at all...

I think the timing thing was thrown out by a wrench that had no other answers....but only ktowne can tell us where it came from... :uhoh:

I think the timing thing was thrown out by a wrench that had no other answers....but only ktowne can tell us where it came from... :uhoh:

It can be done in the software, not something you'd want to mess with in a street engine, used in racing to compensate for uneven mixture and temp between the cylinders- and then a very small amount of offset. You could check it by connecting to the bike and checking the offset function, but if I were to bet, I'd go with Brock- I'd have to see it in the software to believe it  ???

Archived