Indian Motorcycle Community

Calif.law

looking at a bike discription that a guy in calif. bought out of florida.  if i,m understanding this right he cannot title it in cal. due to a law (7500 mile calif. registration law).  

WTH is this?????????????

can a calif. res explain this to me..........  thanks    gw

If I remember correctly, this is indeed a law here in CA that was implemented for a couple of reasons. One, it prevented people from buying new cars (vehicles) out of state that did not meet CA emissions requirements. By having them have at least 7500 miles on them, it pretty much made it that the car was indeed used, not anywhere near new.

I guess it also kinda protected the new car dealers in state also, they couldn't be undercut by someone out of state very easily.

If I remember correctly, this is indeed a law here in CA that was implemented for a couple of reasons. One, it prevented people from buying new cars (vehicles) out of state that did not meet CA emissions requirements. By having them have at least 7500 miles on them, it pretty much made it that the car was indeed used, not anywhere near new.

I guess it also kinda protected the new car dealers in state also, they couldn't be undercut by someone out of state very easily.

:laughlong:  :laughlong:  :rotfl:  :laughlong:  :laughlong:

Those PENGUINS ROCK!!!!!

That's it. People were crossing the satea line to avoid sales tax and smog equipment

I bought my Spirit new from North Carolina , brought it back to Calf , no problems , just make sure you go through the CHP and not the DMV for registration ! The DMV doesnt know anything , you'll go through the whole process with them and they wont have a clue! Just drive down to the local CHP office and one of there mechanics will do the once over on it and you'll be fine! They are looking for the numbers to match (engine & frame) , thats it!

thank you all for explaining that.   sounds like you better stay up on the rules in calif..    what happens to folks moving to calif. without calif. emmission vehicals?  stoped at the boarder?    uh      sounds like we just need to send all our out of state cars to mexico and let them drive in.....   gw

colo.gw -

you can read all about purchasing and registering an out-of-state vehicle/motorcycle on ca.gov's website..  Here's a link to take you there > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm  AND >> http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/noncaveh/noncaveh.htm   :nod: Like 02IndianSpiritRider said,  that's all I did...  :moped:  :moped:

They are looking for the numbers to match (engine & frame) , thats it!

The factory must have gotten at least one correct...

Thanks, Danny

thank you all for explaining that.   sounds like you better stay up on the rules in calif..    what happens to folks moving to calif. without calif. emmission vehicals?  stoped at the boarder?    uh      sounds like we just need to send all our out of state cars to mexico and let them drive in.....   gw

Moving to CA from another state is a different story. You are allowed to bring those vehicles into the state, and always have been. It used to be that there was a smog impact fee of $350 that was charged for vehicles that did not have the CA emissions stamp on them, but that was overturned a  few years ago.

In the late 80's I registered a pickup in CA that had a hot rod motor in it I drove from CT. Went to get a "Smog Certificate" and they told me I had to bring the truck to the "Referee". He was a judge and made decisions on what emmission controls I needed and didn't need. Then he assigned it a "Calibration Number". That was interesting. "Smog Impact Fee", I remember getting hit with that one. And a "VIN Verification" and a "Weight Certificate" and about $1,500 later.  What a pain in the ass.

I see where it is suggested that you take it to the CHP in stead of DMV.  I also have a bike from FL - Fatboy - that I need to register here ASAP (so I can ride the damn thing!) but it has a new engine in it with only 6500 miles on it.  (I have a solution for mileage.... hehehehe) It's a 1990 though.  Anyone have any clue as to what I am in for?

It's the mileage on the bike, not the engine. You had better have all the docs on your engine. Be prepared to wait a long time at the CHP.

It depends where the chp office is (for the wait) ! But the vin# is most definitley checked , so is the engine # and frame# , if the bike was bought through a dealer all the registration shit is already done (for calf bikes) , where all this shit came from was the custom shops , Calf didnt make a dime off the custom guys , then they put the matching engine /frame thing in and they started taxing the shit out of them!

By the way , there are companies that actually handle the paperwork for you , you still have to do the CHP thing , but they have connections that get you in and out fast , for a fee (like $100) . Its a small price to pay , but without it you'll be in for the run around , thats how I skimmed the system with a new bike , I may still have the name of the company if your interested!

Archived