Indian Motorcycle Community

Shouldn't fight your brand

From MSNBC. Never much liked the V-ROD myself. Having Porsche design your american harley, doesn't much make sense.

Sportster sales are up 24 percent this year. Harley's attempt to take on the Japanese hot rods, though, isn't gaining traction. The high-tech Harley V-Rod, introduced just three years ago, has sold poorly. Analysts blame its modern styling, a turnoff to Harley's nostalgia lovers. "The V-Rod has not caught on," says Brown, "because it speaks against what Harley is known for."

whole story

My business partner had one.  Terrible biker.  H etraded it this past year with only 2000 miles on it after two years of ownership.

He said it handled poorly at freeway speeds, had a 3 gallon gas takes, got poor mileage, had oddly placed features (such as the oil being down on the bottom, front left side of the frame near the back of the front wheel) and the fit and finish was poor.  When he sold it, he took a bath on the resale.

Funny thing is that I remember someone on this board saying that Indian should have followed suit by making their own version of a sport bike....not you JohnH, but someone else we all debated with that it was a terrible idea and one the marketplace would not support.

My brother has a vrod , he chose that over a spinger classic (bad move) , but he likes it ! Of course he only has 3000 miles on it and its 2 years old , so he rides as much as some of our Indian guys do , polish it, chrome it, ride it to the bar , show off , drive home, let sit in garage another 6 months! Repeat , or sell it!

I guess if thats all the riding your gonna do , its fine! I told him ,if he would have bought the Springer  , he'd be out riding alot more!

I like the V-Rod, wouldn't buy one, but it's cool.

HD was not trying to compeat with foreign bikes. HD is trying to get it's masses use to the existance of liqued cooled Harleys.  They better get use to it because soon that's all they will be able to get from HD.

I dunno. I'm thinkin that Milwaukee wanted to get some of that rice market. After all, it ain't "The Wild Bunch" fillin seats at the Bijou, it's "Biker Boyz". Rad and tech is in, and old skool is for the converted.

For sure, there's a mountain of difference between the Vrod and the Jap screamers, but the demographic is the same. It never had any squeeze with the old guys, and HD didn't waste a lot of PR selling it to us. They concentrated their efforts on getting new blood in the door to ride the thing.

But, like they say, east is east and west is west and ricers can have a 'Busa in the shed for less than a Vrod, so making the sale to them is next to impossible too, especially when Vrodders only know what a 'Busa looks like from behind.

I agree on the radiator business though. The Vrod is a testbed for the next gen HD motors. That transition is gonna be slow and steady. You want a graybeard riding a bathtub, you need to put that can on an FL, not some teenage wet dream. Waay too much culture shock. It's taken ten years to get EFI onto the majority of the HD line and mebbe another five or ten more until they shed themselves of carbureters entirely.

So, I'm pretty comfortable with the notion that I'll see the end of my road without having to worry about antifreeze in my scooters.

On the power thang. There's an eight mile stretch outside of town that has a couple sweepers, but is mostly flat and straight. I took a Vrod out at Open House and hit three digits before I was at the bottom of the entrance ramp. I never did see better than 135 because my friggin RayBans wanted to fly off and my eyes got to tearing, but I could spank that throttle at a buck and it didn't roll to 135, it jumped. I mean RFN. I musta played that game three or four times, but I run out of highway. Come spring, maybe I'll borrow a helmet and try that again. It was fun, but it weren't no Chief. Hell, it weren't no HD, just says that on the registration.

Waay too much culture shock.

Morning Pop, you're up early.

Yep, culture shock is the key.

Myself, I think they're ugly. But I'm old school.

Nuttin' prettier than a Chief!

Meant to mention....85 mph is screamin' to me, course social security ain't that far off....and spent $130 yesterday in court for a speeding ticket. Course with the gearing I got, 85 is only 3000 rpm now. Real nice cruiser.

Hey Injun46,

They call this way of life a "sport". Well, the good thing about this "sport" is, as long as the arthritis doesn't lock up our wrists we can still twist the wick!

Mama gives me hell everytime somebody tells her that I blew past them on the road. I know she means well, but guess I would rather play Junebug to life's windshield than go down quiet.

Anyway, brother, life is dayum good at 85. I could live in that windtunnel all day long.

So far, I kilt more bikes than bikes kilt me. The trick is to keep it that way.

Hey Injun46,

They call this way of life a "sport". Well, the good thing about this "sport" is, as long as the arthritis doesn't lock up our wrists we can still twist the wick!

Mama gives me hell everytime somebody tells her that I blew past them on the road. I know she means well, but guess I would rather play Junebug to life's windshield than go down quiet.

Anyway, brother, life is dayum good at 85. I could live in that windtunnel all day long.

So far, I kilt more bikes than bikes kilt me. The trick is to keep it that way.

:bthumb:

Amen brother!

Having Porsche design your american harley, doesn't much make sense

You do remember that Lotus was involved with the Indian engine design, right?

Archived