Indian Motorcycle Community

Minn. trooper writes 205 mph ticket

WABASHA, Minn. - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license — and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

___

Information from: St. Paul Pioneer Press, http:// www.twincities.com

it was not uncommon in my youthful days in the Army( brainwashed idiot) to cruise up and down 44 at well over 140. My buddy and I used to make quick trips from Ft. Sill, Oklahoma to Oklahoma city....90 miles away...but...we might pass at best 3-4 cars in that 90 mile stretch....wouldn't dream of doing that here in Ohio, although my 900 ninja would see 135 on occasion to warm her up going down 71. Used to love racing those docs in the porsche 911's, and a a 308 gti ferarri once....blew them both totally away...now that I'm twice that age....I know better...besides...I no longer have free health care from the military.....the hayabusas supposedly have a gyro in them, that prevents you from wheelying over backwards from what I'm told...helll they'll be on auto pilot in a few more years...I want tha chief hovercraft......like the star wars land speeders......oh by the way...ddi lay my first ninja down 4 times..al with racing suit on...totaly shredded the pants, and forearms of the jacket..that's at 125...I can imagine how fast that cow is going towear out on you at 200.....

got clocked at 135 accelerating on my Interceptor years ago, Cop said he probably would'nt have caught me, but I pulled over because I missed my exit (didn't know he was back there)

Bright side is i talked him into writing the ticket for 75mph so i could take defensive driving :rasp:

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license — and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

Key-rist , if that some of bitch can live to tell the story he should get a waiver for his license!

That kid outta be taken out and shot.  I could give a shit if he splays himself all over a bridge abuttment at 205 mph . . . but this is the kind of reckless behavior that gets some poor innocent killed.  I've lost too many friends on the highway because of the selfish acts of some moron who thought he was invincible.

I agree Tallrider.  That's the kind of shit that starts mothers screaming for helmet laws.  Here's an idea moms.  TEACH YOUR KIDS SOME RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!   Dipshit didn't even have a license.  I'm glad he survived but I'll bet the only thing he's thinking is, "Shouldn't have gotten caught.  .....next time..."

:P ...I'm an old fart...well,an OLDER fart actually.I'm ridin' with the slow pokes.....Me and my gray hair are used to wakin' up each day to take another ride...long as we don't get fukkin run over like what happened to Deepseadvr and Cotton a while back..... :wave:

RIDE SAFE...LIVE LONG

:moped: And I was there, LOL, but the Chief don't do 200 :rotfl:

It was at the annual fall flood run. Nice day to ride for some of us!

8 other's were ticketed for 100 m.p.h., 4 accident's and 1 dead rider (who slammed into a Ford Areostar full force, no braking) and his passenger is not doing to well. Saw the van and scoot on a tow truck, scoot wasn't even recognizeable.

This area is full of twisties, tourist's, deer, etc., etc., ect.

And I agree, one unhappy judge and set's a real bad tone for the rest of us who ride, F'n idiot! :banghead:

Had one here in Joisey not to long ago. Ricer pops a wheelie

between 80-90 mph and starts to loose it. Manages to bring it down and what does the Darwin nominee do? Pops another wheelie and does loose it this time. Slides across the lane infront of his buddy , who promptly runs him over.. killing him instantly and injuring the friend.

Well, at least he was wearing protective gear.

Here at Lake Ozark, MO., I see way to many idiots wearing shorts and sandels. I bet full protective gear at 200 mph would not look as bad as shorts and sandels at 80 mph.

I don't know why these fools pis me off, but they do. :bomb:

You know this guy was goin' really fast when none of the liars on this site even try to say they've gone faster.

My Cousin Joe went faster than that...on his Sportster.

And then my cousin Joe died - Joe Louis - and I took it hard. Maybe too hard - I tried to kill myself. Yeahh.. I did kill myself! Sure! I was medically dead for a week and a half! It was a woman that brought me out of it - Indira Gandhi! Yeah, right.. And she told me about Pathological Liars Anonymous. Oh, you'd be surprised how many famous people belong. In fact.. at one of the meetings I met my wife - Morgan Fairchild! Yes, I'm a change man now, and all because of Pathological Liars Anonymous. Why, I - I even have my picture on the cover of Newsweek magazine. Yeah. Every day! Yeah.. that's the ticket! Yeah, you betcha!

liar.jpg

You know this guy was goin' really fast when none of the liars on this site even try to say they've gone faster.

My Cousin Joe went faster than that...on his Sportster.

And then my cousin Joe died - Joe Louis - and I took it hard. Maybe too hard - I tried to kill myself. Yeahh.. I did kill myself! Sure! I was medically dead for a week and a half! It was a woman that brought me out of it - Indira Gandhi! Yeah, right.. And she told me about Pathological Liars Anonymous. Oh, you'd be surprised how many famous people belong. In fact.. at one of the meetings I met my wife - Morgan Fairchild! Yes, I'm a change man now, and all because of Pathological Liars Anonymous. Why, I - I even have my picture on the cover of Newsweek magazine. Yeah. Every day! Yeah.. that's the ticket! Yeah, you betcha!

liar.jpg

my faith is restored.

Well that is because he was on the open highway. Now if you wanna talk about speed on a closed course....  :moped:

Closed course...That would be the guy clocked at 160mph here in Chicago. On Lake shore drive. Unbelieveable!

A girlfriend and I got a ticket for doing 69 in a parked car.

Seems I was in a school zone...

Thanks, Danny

Well, did ya learn anything?

Archived