Indian Motorcycle Community

Needing to clean and shine the sp[kes on my 2001 Spirit.

I've heard that there are some chemicals and processes that should not be used on Gilroy spokes due to the material and/or coating/plating, becuase certain things could make the spokes duller/ruin the finish.

Are Gilroy spokes chromed, zinc plazted, galvanized, or something else?

Also, what is the best and safest way to make them look as good as possible without ruining their finish?

Chrome............. but there was an aluminum front wheel on the Gray ghost bikes that had Indian chief heads machined into it. I use dish washing detergent or Simple Green, Purple Power (DO NOT USE) is not recommended for use on Chrome or Copper.  Chrome can become etched and will be permanently damaged. It will also damage paint and clear coat. 

Other than simple dish detergent, water, and elbow grease, I like Luster Lace.  Small strips that have cleaner built in and you just wrap around the spokes and pull back and forth.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Injnray said:

Needing to clean and shine the sp[kes on my 2001 Spirit.

I've heard that there are some chemicals and processes that should not be used on Gilroy spokes due to the material and/or coating/plating, becuase certain things could make the spokes duller/ruin the finish.

Are Gilroy spokes chromed, zinc plazted, galvanized, or something else?

Also, what is the best and safest way to make them look as good as possible without ruining their finish?

The spokes & spoke nipples on the 1999/2000 Chiefs are non-magnetic stainless steel.

There is no chrome on them at all.

Try a magnet on those spokes & see for yourself...

I would say they are most likely series 304 stainless steel with high chromium & nickel content in the alloy.

304 stainless polishes up nice with high speed buffers & compound.

Stainless steel is not easy to chrome & why would you anyway?

Most spokes are stainless as the threaded ends engaged inside the nipples are prone to rust especially

when riding or storing near salt water humid air.

Spokes rusted together with the nipples are not a thing that's common anymore ~ a lesson learned,

early on in the last century.

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99
  • 3 weeks later...

if anyone wants some old wheels, let me know...Free, just pick them up or pay for shipping.  Off my 2003.  They do have some pitting, but could be powder coated.  I am outside of Chicago

• 4 weeks later...

If you are still looking to get rid of them I would be happy to pay the shipping to me in Mooresville, NC 28117

Just let me know how much it is going to cost and I can PayPal you if that works.

I was  basically looking around for a rear spoke wheel for my 2001 Indian Chief, but this might work out better  If you get a chance can you please send me a couple of pictures my email is

toget2rob@yahoo.com 

Thank You 

Robert