Indian Motorcycle Community

Lower 48 Motorcycle trip

Hey-

Have any of you ever ridden the lower 48 state motorcycle route? I have done a little research on it and it appears to have several routes, with vastly different numbers of days to complete.

I’m trying to find the best route and advice from someone who has done this before. our plan is to do this next summer, the summer of 2021. So we have lots of time to plan.

Anyone like that on this list?

We are planning a 4 corners ride in 2021. Gonna touch Maine, Washington, California, Florida and all the states between. We haven’t mapped the route yet.

I've touched all four corners during my six cross country rides but never in one ride.  Closest I came was in 2001 which started as the Century Ride from California to Springfield, Mass. and then continued on to Quebec before turning around to head back to Sturgis before coming back home to California.  In 2002 and 2003, I touched all four corners during my Great American Hot Dog Tour where I caught a ball game in every major league ball park in  North America and sampled their signature hot dogs in the process looking for the best ball park frank.  If I can be of assistance, let me know.

Squaw_Magnet.jpg

Edited by mplate

Wow! Love the replies. Mplate- I also love baseball and your journey is interesting. Planning to be in each city during a home game took some planning! Tip of the cap your way. Well done. 

Steve,

Thank you.  I actually had to write a computer program and input all the home game data for all the teams.  The program then told me when to start the trip and what route to take to minimize the amount of time I would have to wait for a home game to be played.  Worked like a charm.  I only had to backtrack once, from Chicago to Milwaukee and back to Chicago. A small price to pay to watch the All Star game on my birthday!  Besides, in the search for the best ballpark frank, I had found it at Wrigley Field so I didn't at all mind coming back to Chicago for more Chicago dogs.  Yumm!

I’m trying to hit every park mplate. I’m about half way there. So far Progressive field in Cleveland is my favorite park. I bleed Red Sox when I’m cut.

Mic,

When I did my ballpark tour in 2003,  it was called Jacobs Field.  Saw the game with IronIndian Red Wazoo who also put me up at his house while I was in town.  Had a great time.  Indians two hit the Yankees.  The next day, Red took me on a tour of Cleveland.

DSC00057.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

Nice town, if you get out in the suburbs there are some excellent ethnic restaurants. My favorite was some paprika chicken at a Hungarian restaurant. 

Red took me to a place that had fried bologna and melted cheese sandwiches on the menu.  My mom used to make that for me for lunch every day when I was in elementary school.  I had them add relish so it was just like mom made.  Wonderful.  Only restaurant I've ever been to that had that on the menu.

Mike do you still have the Squaw Magnet?  Our ride to Lake Havasu from Laughlin in 2002 was sure fun.  I still I have my Millenium and it is still a pain to keep on the road.  Hope you are doing good.

Greyrider,

I still have the Squaw Magnet but I haven't ridden it since my kidneys failed.  I have an appointment next week at Stanford to try and get back on the active list for a transplant which I was taken off of when I got cancer.  I'm cancer free now but Stanford is, understandably, reluctant to give a kidney to someone who may get cancer again.  I've been cancer free for one year but they like to wait two years with my type of cancer.  I've made my case that my cancer will not recur so I'll soon see if that makes any difference.  In any case, my plan is to get a kidney eventually.  When I do , I plan to buy a cargo van and have it converted to a custom camper van.  I will then put the Squaw Magnet on a trailer and drive wherever the hell I want using the Squaw Magnet to tool around once I get there.  My days of fixing the Squaw Magnet on the side of the road so I can continue my cross country rides are over, sad to say.  But, at least, I do, still, hold out hope that my days of riding the Squaw Magnet are not.  Good to hear from you.  Keep riding.

You got a place to stay in Maine or North Carolina Mike depending where I am at the time!