Jump to content
Indian Motorcycle Community

Recommended Posts

It's been a while since I posted - primarily because I didn't have much to say. Now I do.

 

The time has come, TallRider said, to speak of many things . . . of boots, and bikes, and detail wax . . . of cabbages and kings . . . and why my saddle's boiling hot . . . and whether pigs have wings. My apologies to Lewis Carroll and both the Walrus and the Carpenter.

 

Actually, the time has come to replace my dysfunctional left knee. I had originally intended to have the surgery last October, but lung surgery to remove two small tumors (benign) set me back a wee bit.

 

When we had our single-story house built four years ago we had a comfort height toilet seat and grab bars put in the master bathroom in anticipation of the surgery. Over the last year I've lost 25 pounds and over the last six weeks I've been involved in pre-op physical therapy increasing my knee flexibility from a mere 90º to a painful 115º. My walker will be delivered Tuesday and tomorrow I have my pre-op evaluation with the hospital physical therapist. The Vintage is plugged in to the tender and the full tank has been treated with Stabil. Monday, February 3 is the big day and I'm as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers even though I'll probably be home the following day.

 

So - for those of you that have gone through full knee replacement surgery, beyond the obvious of committing myself to the post-op physical therapy, any tips on how to handle the next three months?

 

TR

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a surgeon that does the tendon sparing technique. It will cut the pain and the recovery time. You will be glD you got it done.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You got this. I cannot speak of knees but I have had both hips replaced and am extremely glad I did. The down time will be minor and you will be happy about getting the function and mobility back.

 

All the best my friend.

 

 

Al

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A close friend has had 3 of 'em, one on the left and two on the right.

 

1st right was done a little wrong. Same doc did both and wouldn't listen to any complaints about something was wrong.

 

2nd doc told my buddy about half of his business was re-doing mistakes.

 

See if your doc has had any recalls.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tallrider, I wish you the best. Most folks I have come in contact with that have had the surgery are uncertain why they waited so long to have it. For me getting put down for surgery is a very unpleasant experience. A friend of my son some years ago had a buddy fresh out of the Marine Corps in great shape went under for a simple tonsillectomy and never woke up. Since that time I ain't liked it except that time the nurse told me I grabbed her turd-cutter whilst under the influence of what ever they gas. you with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with your surgery. As most have suggested, research your surgeon and his successes and failures. Make sure you are comfortable with them and that they put you at ease.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Bob, no fun living with all that pain. Best of luck and be sure to think about how the future will be living pain free !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You will have a quick recovery!

 

me ride um centennial [MRUC]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with your surgery. As most have suggested, research your surgeon and his successes and failures. Make sure you are comfortable with them and that they put you at ease.

 

 

Robert . . . I'e got one of, if not THE top orthopedic surgeon in the Seattle area. I hate having to do all this, but limited mobility is reducing my fun quotient.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Bob, no fun living with all that pain. Best of luck and be sure to think about how the future will be living pain free !

 

Thanks Steve . . . I'm preparing for the post-op pain but know that I can work through it and be back in the saddle before too long.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Robert . . . I'e got one of, if not THE top orthopedic surgeon in the Seattle area. I hate having to do all this, but limited mobility is reducing my fun quotient.

That's perfect. When I had my spinal surgery I sought out the same here in LA. I interviewed nearly a dozen surgeons, compared their techniques, what they suggested and what they said my outcome would be before I decided. I even walked out of one surgeon's office after he kept me waiting for 45 minutes in an exam room without anyone walking in. Funny thing is the next surgeon I interviewed with I related to him my previous interviews including walking out of the one right before. He picked up the phone, called that doc, and had him apologize for wasting my time. Turned out the surgeon I was currently interviewing was the head neurosurgeon at Cedars and his boss. I hired him. Been right as rain ever since and I was kicking myself for living with the pain for over five years.

Since you've made you decision, relax. Let them take care of you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tallrider, I wish you the best. Most folks I have come in contact with that have had the surgery are uncertain why they waited so long to have it. For me getting put down for surgery is a very unpleasant experience. A friend of my son some years ago had a buddy fresh out of the Marine Corps in great shape went under for a simple tonsillectomy and never woke up. Since that time I ain't liked it except that time the nurse told me I grabbed her turd-cutter whilst under the influence of what ever they gas. you with.

I got put under for the first time for them to shove a camera up my ass. Nurse doing the anesthesia told me "don't worry. We use the same stuff Michael Jackson used". I say "you mean the shit that KILLED HIM?"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

My knee replacement surgery was yesterday and early this afternoon I was released having passed the requisite physical and occupational therapists evaluations. The surgeon told my wife Valerie that had hadn't seen so much deterioration in a knee joint in a long time. Now the hard part starts but I'm determined to be back in the saddle in April, weather permitting.

 

Thanks for all the advice and support . . .

TR

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE: Four weeks from the day of my full knee replacement surgery and after twice a week physical therapy sessions that started the week after surgery, continued daily physical therapy exercises at home, and getting the flexibility in my surgical knee up from 88º the day after surgery to 120º . . . I got the ok from the surgeon to return to "normal activities." Apparently, I have to wait a little longer to return to abnormal activities. Next visit with the surgeon is in another eight weeks.

The weather hasn't been good enough to ride this last week, but I've been practicing getting the kickstand up and down and can do so with no problem as well as get into either the driver side or the passenger side of our cars (Ford Escape & Ford Edge) without turning myself in to human origami. I've been doing scar message to reduce the puckering above my patella and the scar looks pretty good! It compliments my three lung surgery scars which to the uninformed look like knife fight wounds.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice . . . nice to return to "almost normal" within just a month (plus) of surgery. It's still a challenge navigating stairs and long walks as my quads are screaming at me! Now just to avoid getting COVID-19 here in western Washington!!!

TR

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear things are moving forward swiftly and properly!

And...you've always been abnormal in my book.  😁

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, Mikehell said:

I got put under for the first time for them to shove a camera up my ass. Nurse doing the anesthesia told me "don't worry. We use the same stuff Michael Jackson used". I say "you mean the shit that KILLED HIM?"

He died from 13 year old meat in his mouth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 4:57 PM, TallRider said:

UPDATE: Four weeks from the day of my full knee replacement surgery and after twice a week physical therapy sessions that started the week after surgery, continued daily physical therapy exercises at home, and getting the flexibility in my surgical knee up from 88º the day after surgery to 120º . . . I got the ok from the surgeon to return to "normal activities." Apparently, I have to wait a little longer to return to abnormal activities. Next visit with the surgeon is in another eight weeks.

The weather hasn't been good enough to ride this last week, but I've been practicing getting the kickstand up and down and can do so with no problem as well as get into either the driver side or the passenger side of our cars (Ford Escape & Ford Edge) without turning myself in to human origami. I've been doing scar message to reduce the puckering above my patella and the scar looks pretty good! It compliments my three lung surgery scars which to the uninformed look like knife fight wounds.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice . . . nice to return to "almost normal" within just a month (plus) of surgery. It's still a challenge navigating stairs and long walks as my quads are screaming at me! Now just to avoid getting COVID-19 here in western Washington!!!

TR

I am glad it all worked out for you and hope you receive  the all clear for abnormal activities soon! I rode 250 miles on my new to me bike yesterday with 20 stitches in my leg. It was in the 60's here and I had only ridden the bike onto the trailer down in Savannah and off the trailer into my garage here last Monday. I had a tumor the size of a golf ball removed from my inner leg Tuesday. I am still awaiting the pathology report. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to ride the bike! Leg didn't hurt a bit. I really dig the heated seat and the heated grips. I am worried about that Covid-19 being a diabetic, I am in the group that most likely will fucking die from it. I am seriously thinking about heading to my house up in the wilds on Maine. I think Maine is the only state that has no flu yet, at least here out east.  Maybe a boy from Maine had it right all those years ago when he wrote "The Stand" and  the flu Captain Tripps. 

Edited by Micmac
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Micmac said:

I am glad it all worked out for you and hope you receive  the all clear for abnormal activities soon! I rode 250 miles on my new to me bike yesterday with 20 stitches in my leg. It was in the 60's here and I had only ridden the bike onto the trailer down in Savannah and off the trailer into my garage here last Monday. I had a tumor the size of a golf ball removed from my inner leg Tuesday. I am still awaiting the pathology report. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to ride the bike! Leg didn't hurt a bit. I really dig the heated seat and the heated grips. I am worried about that Covid-19 being a diabetic, I am in the group that most likely will fucking die from it. I am seriously thinking about heading to my house up in the wilds on Maine. I think Maine is the only state that has no flu yet, at least here out east.  Maybe a boy from Maine had it right all those years ago when he wrote "The Stand" and  the flu Captain Tripps. 

We're a bit jittery here . . . we stay away from crowds, wash our hands, avoid people our own age, we've even sacrificed a couple of chickens in the backyard. The deaths here seem to be concentrated in an elderly health care facility but because it's a virus with no protective vaccine it's bound to spread. They might as well call it "Boomer Flu"!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered Chinese food last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...