Indian Motorcycle Community

Be Advised--If You Have An Aluminum Tool Tube

So my bike came with this aluminum "Indian" tool tube, the previous guy had it bolted in the front frame rail, I had some wrenches, electrical tape, pliers screw driver, etc in there. Every time I go to get on the bike I do a walk around, checking for lose bolts, hanging stuff, leaks, etc, (force of habit I guess).

So Sat I ride over to an event about 20 miles away, coming home I'm on the a two lane at 55 mph, I hear a clang, followed by the ass end of my bike bucking up like a bull (seemed about a foot or two, doubt it was that much). I hold the bike steady, off the throttle, no brakes and glance in the mirror to see parts (some BIG ones) bouncing behind me. I thought the framed broke and my drove train or engine was departing.

I slowed and still heard the engine running and finally slowed down enough where I tried the rear brake and pulled into a lot, Bike still running well, clutch in and stand down, I look and have a WTF? moment, look back on the road and see some parts and one of my bags. lucky nobody ran over it.

I shut the bike off and walk out to retrieve by bag and notice the tool tube all scrapped up and the thick aluminum brackets broke at the same spot. my bag had one tiny scuff.

Appears the tube brackets broke, the tube went under me and hit the rear wheel the force of the ass end hopping unlatched my EZ bracket and popped the bag off upon landing. Lucky for my it didn't get into the spokes and tear the wheel off, I got the bag back on and the tube is sitting in my garage, I may make it into a pooper scooper.

Ride safe Kids

My experience with and knowledge of our Gilroy bikes: Question, analyze and consider the worst. Put that shit in a saddlebag.

• Like 1

That was a popular option. Lucky you didn't lose the bag.

I'd not reinstall the tool tube, JM2C.

Makes me wonder about the integrity of the aluminum holding our forks ?

• Like 1

why do you need to carry tools anyways?

😂

Al

Interesting. On my 2001 chief I have had one of the major fasteners ( aprox 5 inch bolt from heel-toe shifter linkage ) back out and almost fall out. I don't think it was poor design. Would have been nice to have correct allen wrench at the time. I just retruned home on a back road...real slow.

Usually ride 10 miles on a straight back road before entering the 101 freeway out here in californication..Think factory heel-toe unit was by thunderheart. I too walk around the bike looking and poking before takeoff.

me ride um centennial [MRUC]

• Like 1

There was a fix for the forks because the factory welded fender brackets were cracking, sounds similar to your tool tube fiasco.

Glad you made out OK , coulda been worse WOW

• Like 1

Thanks brother, I do have the updated brackets for the front fender , still makes me wonder now

I remember every one was loosing the cap off of those back in the day. I’d sell it to the FNG’s on eBay. Just put “rare” and “Indian Motorcycle “ in the title.

I had a 1982 ? FLHS . It had a two year only transmission. Third gear decided to fly out of the transmission case where I-40 &I-85 intersect during rush hour in beautiful downtown Greensboro, NC. I experienced the same dynamic you did with the rear wheel

“ shimmy shimmy cocoa puff” maneuver. The difference being my rear wheel locked up and I skidded at least 20 feet.After scooping the shit out of my pants, I saw what had happened andUpon reflection I feel I am lucky to be typing these words 37 years later.i believe you are as well. Our earthly work is unfinished it seems.

• Like 4

The guy I bought my Ariel off of had the mounting point for the rear wheel snap when he was going through an intersection. Needless to say he laid the bike down as it was hard to ride without the rear wheel. He welded it up rode it for another year and parked it. I bought it from him a couple years later. Oh the fun of owning motocickles.

Al

• Like 1

Close call

Glad you made it through ok

Those tubes were clearly meant for storing papers & stash not so much heavy tools...

You make a good point

Aluminum can go brittle with age.

Moocho Aluminum bones ~ the new generation 900lb Indian Chief lineup.

• Like 1

The guy I bought my Ariel off of had the mounting point for the rear wheel snap when he was going through an intersection. Needless to say he laid the bike down as it was hard to ride without the rear wheel. He welded it up rode it for another year and parked it. I bought it from him a couple years later. Oh the fun of owning motocickles.

Al

You got a square 4 Al?
  • Like 1

No shit, they are highly coveted machines.

I had a 1952 pan head too. My advice to all the young bike guys NEVER sell any motorcycle you will come to regret it.

Al