Indian Motorcycle Community

Indian Raptor Update, No Longer A Rumor

The engine was likely destined for a Victory model before Polaris decided to focus on Indian

It’s expected to take on Euro rivals, so the Raptor will likely get an IMU and associated electronics

The engine patent is for easily removable camshafts, suggesting there may be various ‘Stages’ of power upgrade

The Raptor will be designed to stop BMW stealing US sales with their new Boxer cruiser

Until recently, Indian have mostly focused on heritage models, leaving the performance machines for Victory, but the #FTR1200 heralded a new direction – one in which their usual rivals have traditionally struggled.

This move will be important for Indian as European brands look to muscle in on their turf with high-tech offerings.

There’s no official word from Indian but we expect them to unveil it at the Sturgis motorcycle rally in the US, August 2-11, as a 2020 model.

#IndianRaptor

Sitting in the middle of the machine is a brand new water-cooled engine, which we believe will complement rather than replace the existing air-cooled Thunderstroke 111. It’s likely to have a similar displacement (around 1800cc) so that it keeps all that torque but there’s a good chance it will make more power, too.

Given that the Thunderstroke recently got a power boost to 82bhp, despite tighter emissions regulations, we’d expect the new engine to make in excess of 100bhp.

It will likely move the electronics on again (the latest bikes already have power modes) with traction control a distinct possibility as well as cornering ABS and other touring comforts like hill hold braking.

Arguably more important is the front end. Look closely and you’ll notice a pair of hefty looking USD forks and a pair of Brembo monoblocs. While this doesn’t guarantee the final spec, it suggests that Indian want to focus on performance and handling, as well as looks.

ROADEATER

pROBABLY LESS TORQUE than the 111/116 TS

120+ HP

Turbo & cam could get hairy out there

too-much-recoil.gif

FARSCAPE PERFORMANCE

55261_farscapepkscifi_2_122_428lo.jpg

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99

"Raptor" doesn't sound very "Indian like" to me.

Agreed... Now this is a Raptor.

post-965-0-53077200-1556204542_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Harleynot

too-much-recoil.gif

FARSCAPE PERFORMANCE

Catlike reflexes maybe required.

Lppks like a Vix X Country with a radiator to me

Agreed... Now this is a Raptor.

Ranger-Raptor.jpg

Will the off road adventure be Pathfinder

or maybe Renegade?

Indian-Motorcycle-Big-Chief-Custom-Motor

Make some of these here PINDIAN

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Raptor

2020-indian-motorcycle-raven-renegade-ch

RoadEater

2020-indian-motorcycle-raptor.jpg

"Another Victory For Indian", yuk, yuk, yuk, lol!

2020-indian-motorcycle-raven-renegade-ch

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99

It sure does seem to me that Polaris bought Indian so they could release their Victory models under the Indian Iconic name.

If Polaris can put out a really good bike then I would be OK with that but I'll wait and see

• Like 1

Agreed. Aesthetically, far as looks, I do prefer simple horizontal machined fins on motor not diagonal fins.

Or, no fins as mentioned elsewhere & shown below on scout motor.

413584639.jpg

me ride um centennial [MRUC]

Edited by MRUC

It sure does seem to me that Polaris bought Indian so they could release their Victory models under the Indian Iconic name.

If Polaris can put out a really good bike then I would be OK with that but I'll wait and see

20080000-victory-vision-34-3.jpg

Vision Quest lol

• 4 months later...
IMG_1567_zpsbddtrqz2.jpg Edited by Harleynot

Sneaky they are...

med_gallery_3867_171_42061.jpg -2020-indian-motorcycle-raven-renegade-ch

Not bad. Reliable New products are important. Wish there was a reliable IMC dealer within an hour or two from my house. Reliable and friendly would be nice.

me ride um centennial [MRUC]

PowerPlus-108-Engine-058_zps40gi85rn.jpg PowerPlus 108

The PowerPlus will serve as the heart of the new Indian Challenger, an all-new, fixed-fairing bagger that utilizes Indian Motorcycle’s state-of-the-art technology to become the highest-performing American V-twin ever developed. The new engine’s name is a nod to Indian Motorcycle’s iconic history, paying homage to the Indian PowerPlus motorcycle produced from 1916 to 1924.

• Like 1

The PowerPlus 108 adopts several design and performance features from the liquid-cooled 1,133 cc Indian Scout engine, including an overhead camshaft design utilizing four valves per cylinder. But comparisons end there. The PowerPlus was developed with a big-piston, big-torque mindset with an end game of maximum power delivery across the entire curve.

The all-new powertrain features a six-speed transmission with true overdrive, assist clutch to reduce clutch effort, and three ride modes that allow riders to tailor throttle mapping to their riding preferences. Advanced technology also includes hydraulic valve lash adjusters and hydraulic camshaft chain tensioners for ease of maintenance and reliability.

The PowerPlus was tested, refined and proven by one of the industry’s most rigorous development and testing programs, accumulating nearly one million miles of simulated testing, including state-of-the-art dyno testing, and more than 250,000 on-road miles.

“You simply cannot deliver the ultimate bagger without an engine that stands head and shoulders above anything else in its class, and that was the motivation behind the PowerPlus,” said John Callahan, Indian Motorcycle Vice President, Engineering. “We developed the most sophisticated V-twin powerplant in the industry, and then we spent month after month, hour upon hour, putting it through the most intense paces to ensure it could take whatever we threw at it. The end result is something truly special.”

Indian Motorcycle PowerPlus Engine Specifications:

• Engine Displacement: 108 cubic inches (1,769 cc)
  • Power: 122 hp at 5,500 RPM
  • Torque: 128 ft-lbs at 3,800 RPM
  • Maximum Engine Speed: 6,500 RPM
  • Architecture: 60-degree V-twin, liquid-cooled powerplant
  • Crankcase: Unit design featuring a high capacity semi-dry sump oil system
  • Timing System: Overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder
  • Fuel System: Electronic fuel injection. 52mm dual bore throttle bodies
  • Compression Ratio: 11:1
  • Transmission: Six-speed with true overdrive, constant mesh
  • Clutch: Assist clutch

The PowerPlus will be built in Osceola, Wisconsin with final motorcycle assembly taking place in Indian Motorcycle’s production facility in Spirit Lake, Iowa.

https://www.youtube.com/392db8b4-6167-4609-ad75-609accd31f5f

Yo CD99 can you fix my youtube links please :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGFk7RybH0&feature=youtu.be

PowerPlus108%20engines%20lined%20up_zpsj

Edited by Harleynot

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/10/22/indian-powerplus-engine-first-look-11-fast-facts/

Indian PowerPlus Engine Specs
  • Type: 60-degree V-twin
  • Displacement: 108 ci (1769cc)
  • Bore x stroke: 4.252” x 3.799” (108 x 96.5mm)
  • Maximum power: 122 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
  • Maximum torque: 128 ft/lbs @ 3800 rpm
  • Redline: 6500 rpm
  • Compression ratio: 11:1
  • Valvetrain: SOHC, 4vpc
  • Fueling: EFI w/ 52mm dual bore throttle bodies
  • Cooling: Liquid
  • Lubrication: Semi-dry sump
  • Transmission: 6-speed w/ overdrive
  • Clutch: Assist
  • Final drive: Belt

Indian says the PowerPlus “was developed with a big-piston, big-torque mindset

with an end game of maximum power delivery across the entire curve.”

With an oversquare bore and stroke of 108.0 x 96.5mm, the PowerPlus 108’s

1,768cc displacement is 122cc smaller than that of the 1,890cc Thunder Stroke 116

found in most of Indian’s heavyweight lineup for 2020,

but the PowerPlus makes more claimed torque:

128 lb-ft at 3,800 rpm versus 126 lb-ft at 2,900 rpm.

The PowerPlus also revs higher, redlining at 6,500 rpm

versus 5,300 rpm on the Thunder Stroke.

Dual-bore 52mm throttle bodies take big gulps of fuel and air, which is compressed at a ratio of 11.0:1.

With throttle-by-wire actuation, the PowerPlus offers three riding modes with different throttle response settings.

The unit crankcase has a semi-dry oil sump that holds five quarts.

To reduce maintenance and improve reliability, the overhead camshafts

have hydraulic chain tensioners and the valves have hydraulic lash adjusters.

The 6-speed constant mesh transmission has an overdrive top gear and a cable-actuated wet assist clutch.

https://ridermagazine.com/2019/10/22/indian-unveils-liquid-cooled-powerplus-108-v-twin/

I wonder how long it will be till the Challenger is actually available.

Good to see that Polaris is releasing it

72881815_415269946060049_171188111987756

#IndianChallenger #PowerPlus108 #innovatenotduplicate #codenameRaptor

Charlotte has 9 coming in. 1 is SOLD

I'm told they are gonna slow roll a few hundred out now..... *available soon not March as previously reported

...like they did with the FTR1200's..

74271987_10216385971907957_8248927056419

Indian%20Challenger%20factory%20front%20

challenger%20side%20view%20inside%20fact

PowerPlus108%20engines%20lined%20up_zpsj

Edited by Harleynot
  • Like 1

#IndianChallenger #PowerPlus108 #innovatenotduplicate #codenameRaptor

Charlotte has 9 coming in. 1 is SOLD

I'm told they are gonna slow roll a few hundred out now..... *available soon not March as previously reported

...like they did with the FTR1200's..

74271987_10216385971907957_8248927056419

I need one of those front fenders for my '99 Indian Wanderer

I wonder how long it will be till the Challenger is actually available.

Good to see that Polaris is releasing it

Indian claims the new mill logged almost 1,000,000 miles during simulated testing and 250,000 actual on-road miles.

“Countless hours were spent in design, development, and testing to ensure this is the best liquid-cooled V-twin ever developed, and I could not be prouder of our team and this incredible motor,” Menneto told us.

https://www.facebook.com/Tim.Sutherland10/videos/10217861531643523/

Edited by Harleynot

Indian claims the new mill logged almost 1,000,000 miles during simulated testing and 250,000 actual on-road miles.

Countless hours were spent in design, development, and testing to ensure this is the best liquid-cooled V-twin ever developed, and I could not be prouder of our team and this incredible motor, Menneto told us.

https://www.facebook.com/Tim.Sutherland10/videos/10217861531643523/

Thats what they claimed with my PowerPlus 100 too... hope this testing is a little more thorough.. ?

• Like 2

I think they made the same claim on the Thunderstroke as well.

• Like 2