Indian Motorcycle Community

Vacation Plans To Sc. Change Or Not?

So, the wife and I currently have plans to visit Savannah, GA 23-26 SEP and then be in Charleston, SC 26-29 SEP.

QUESTIONS to any/all that live in the area and are in the know: Did the hurricane tear Charleston up enough to change our plans? And: Are the hotels so packed with folks that fled the hurricane that we should give up our reservations to those that may need a room more than we need to visit?

Next thought: If it seems best that we change our plans we have decided to head north to Maine (with short stops in Philadelphia (just to see historical stuff) and Boston (to eat clam chowdah).

QUESTIONS to all familiar with Maine: Where is the best place to stay and what are the best places to visit if Maine becomes our destination? Only thing that MUST happen is the wife has to eat fresh from the ocean lobster (maybe daily!!).

Thanks to all who can pass on some recommendations!!

the Honey Paw in Portland.

Yum Yum !

I've not found a shortage of lobster anywhere in Maine.

For my time and money older spots are the best, and one of the nicest, friendliest inns in Maine is the Herbert Grand Hotel. It's in good riding country as well.

The Herbert Grand Hotel & Pub
246 Main Street (Route 27)
Kingfield, Maine 04947
(207) 265-2000
Innkeeper@HerbertGrandHotel.com

Well, best option was to have a stay-cation. Flooding continues in NC and moving into SC and apparently the "high" season in Maine doesn't end until about mid-OCT (after the leaf watchers depart). So we decided to stay home and relax (and save some money!).

• Like 1

Well, best option was to have a stay-cation. Flooding continues in NC and moving into SC and apparently the "high" season in Maine doesn't end until about mid-OCT (after the leaf watchers depart). So we decided to stay home and relax (and save some money!).

It’s been complete disaster here In Carteret County, NC (worse hit). We’re slowly recovering. Had a 16’ storm surge up several of the rivers. No need to explain anything more really, the news media has/is covering most of it. I am between the two rivers (New Port River & Neuse River) which experienced the 16’ storm surge. Aside from multiple large tree limbs down & the standard one to two weeks of arduous recovery, I was fortunate to walk away with only 30-40 shingle tabs blown off my roof (easily repaired). Others have lost their homes and entire belongings. Had you ventured into SC & attempted to travel Northbound you probably would have spent most of your time backtracking to traverse an open road route (most likely up the Appalachian Mts.) since entire roads have been under flood waters and/or washed away (including I-95 & I-40).

There is absolutely no damage to anything in Charleston area or south of us. All of the damage is Georgetown County (flooding) and north through Wilmington. Dont let the reports from NC members scare you...Charleston, Hilton Head, Edisto, Savannah....totally unscathed. I did not even have any rain until the storm was almost in NC and then was just a slow drizzle. Been sunshine and blue skies since.

Bah Harbaa as the Mainiacs would say...

Just before you cross over to the island on 3 there is a couple of great little fisherman restaurants. In town Gettys is a cool little pub on Main street. Acadia park is a great place too. If you really want to get away and do some fly fishing Grand Lake Stream is the place. I rode my bike up from Florida and stopped at a gas station there on an Indian Reservation. The Chief of police came out of the station and ask if I would wait a minute. He called his wife who brought a camera so he could have a picture of him sitting on my Spirit. If riding be careful. You will see deer, skunk, raccoons, bears almost every five minutes crossing the road. Oh, and no cell service... you will probably find a pay phone at the General Store. One day fishing licenses are expensive. Cheaper to hire a guide. With them you fish for free and they know where to find them. If you are up there during deer season try the mincemeat pie, finest kind... Seafood in Bah Harbaa and fresh trout at Grand Lake Stream.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no damage to anything in Charleston area or south of us. All of the damage is Georgetown County (flooding) and north through Wilmington. Dont let the reports from NC members scare you...Charleston, Hilton Head, Edisto, Savannah....totally unscathed. I did not even have any rain until the storm was almost in NC and then was just a slow drizzle. Been sunshine and blue skies since.

I kind of figured that's how it would turn out. Problem for us was just getting through NC to get to GA/SC. Hearing about all the road closures in NC and the continued rain just made us leery about heading south.

sorry to hear...you could have gone a little west and taken 85 to 26 back to 95....just couple small detours and better riding than staying on interstate. take care.

Even worse my wife said she saw on FB that the Ride to the Barn is happening now. Guess we could've tried to mix that in! Oh well, maybe next year.

yep..the first bike of 2018 just rolled in ..;)

42596901_10212453027657573_7559022804645

• Like 1

Roll that secret hidden Barn Reunion footage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pg2e_TXTr8

• 2 months later...

• Like 1

Dang you were that close to the barn ride and didnt stop on?

No, we never left VA. SC/GA was the first plan then the rains hit. So we switched to Maine. Then it looked like snow/rain was going to hit there so we ended up not going anywhere.