Indian Motorcycle Community

Wichita Kansas

Working in the middle of America for a month or so.

Pulled the bike down for some riding time on the weekends,

Any good places to go down here ?

Dropped the bike off at the Indian dealer for a once over ,and a clean up from the drive down, Seemed pretty willing to get the ole Gilroy taken care of.

Might even take a ride to Colorado Springs on a 3 day weekend,

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks,

Red

If your going to Colorado Springs then you should ride Pikes Peak. I rode this last June and the scenery was incredible.

Also I was told that they were going to stop letting people drive to the top due to all the traffic. It will be shuttle rides only.

i found little to do during my travels through Kansas. I am still struck by what Kansans considered a scenic vista, a slaughterhouse. If you decide to avail yourself of the view, make sure you're upwind. My only recommendation for Kansas is an excellent Italian restaurant in the middle of nowhere, Courtney's Place in Toronto, about 90 miles from Wichita. I was there in 2005 but I checked and it's still there. Sorry, that's all I got.

• Like 1

Courtney 2005

DSC00040.jpg

The Magnet will draw squaws of every degree of hotness!!!

Squaws feel a need to ride in that shotgun seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1C8qKa-tjA

The Magnet will draw squaws of every degree of hotness!!!

Squaws feel a need to ride in that shotgun seat.

Statements that I can attest to. During my travels with the Squaw Magnet, I always contended that I was just along for the ride. But, what a ride it was.

DSC00030.jpg

• Like 1

Hey

Thanks for the input, I see there is a rally in the ozarks coming up

Bikes, blues, and bbq September 26-29.

Think Ill catch some of that.

Maybe a ride to Oklahoma this weekend .

Colorado Springs 1st week of October.

Did some skeet shooting north of park City with a friend , lot of fun.post-42-0-32345600-1537213896_thumb.jpegpost-42-0-22144500-1537213910_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I love that my original review of Courtney's Place from 2005 is still accessible on this forum. Here it is:

I'm in Lebanon, MO at a Holiday Inn. I'm not staying here but they kindly let me use their wireless internet access as I could find no internet cafe's in town. I'm actually staying at a campground about 10 miles north of Lebanon on the Gasconade River. Yesterday took me through most of eastern Kansas which, from Wichita on, is actually pretty nice to look at. Green, gently rolling hills. Lakes, rivers and the occasional oak tree made for some pleasant riding. Spent last night at Toronto Lake campground. I was the only one there. Apparently, I just missed 10 inches of rain in the area. The lake was so high, they had to close the road closest to it. Toronto is the only town I've been to so far on this ride that did not have a way to get on the internet. Nevertheless, it is not without its charms. The only place in town that was open for dinner was called Courtney's Place. Courtney is a real sweetheart and a hell of a cook. She opened the place a year ago and features excellent Italian fare. I had stuffed manicotti. The marinara sauce used tomatoes instead of sauce and was laced with home grown basil. It was accompanied with asparagus in a red pepper and walnut sauce. Throw in a drink and the whole thing will set you back a whopping $8.95. I recommend that you guys in the Kansas City area, about 120 miles away, consider riding down there for the day. Tell Courtney hi from Sidecar Mike.

Kansas was an adventure in gas mileage due to the almost constant and brisk south wind. The good news is that, due to the heavier flywheel, I was able to cruise in 5th gear at about 60 mph and 2500 rpm. The bad news is that I got my worst gas mileage for this trip, 22 mpg. Today, I tried 4th gear at 2800 rpm around 52 mph. This brought me up to 28 mpg, a marked difference. Today's ride said goodbye to Kansas and hello to Missouri. Almost immediately, I was greeted with the characteristic limestone mountains that the state is known for. Surprisingly, the humidity it is also known for was absent. It was an absolutely beautiful day. Stopped for lunch in Nevada, MO just across the state line before continuing on to my destination for the day. Had dinner at an amazing place in Lebanon called Dowd's Catfish House. All the catfish, shrimp, chicken, ribs, okra, hush puppies, cole slaw, potato salad, beans and tomato relish you can eat for $13.99. The catfish was exceptional.

Tomorrow begins the actual start of the Lewis and Clark Trail portion of the ride. I'll stop at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis to mark the official start before continuing on my way up the Missouri River. Really looking forward to this part of the ride. I'll be doing a lot of stopping at Lewis and Clark points of interest where I expect to be taking a lot of photos. The bike's still running fine although the air horn fell off in my hand today while I was trying to adjust it. I have to take the compressor off to fix it so it will have to wait until I have the time. No big deal. Otherwise, things look good. Knock on wood, the electrical gremlins haven't caught back up with the bike yet. I did have to put about a half pint of oil in the bike today, the first oil I've added in the two weeks I've been riding. Also, had to put some air in the rear tire. It was down to 36psi so I bumped it back up to 40. Plus, my highway peg was starting to vibrate loose. These are the kind of problems I can deal with. Let's hope it stays that way. Talk to you later.
  • Like 2

Now i'm hungry, and inspired!

Indians face the Royals 26-30 to finish the season . going to catch a game or two .

Any good advice for chow there Mike ?

Now i'm hungry, and inspired!

Indians face the Royals 26-30 to finish the season . going to catch a game or two .

Any good advice for chow there Mike ?

Hey Red. Hope things are going well for you. If you have the time, the inclination, and the money, try the Golden Ox for an outstanding steak on 1600 Genessee Street.

https://www.facebook.com/goldenoxkc/

Enjoy.