Indian Motorcycle Community

Is This Something We Don't Talk About?

Is it just me or has this year has been particularly rough on motorcycle riders? Seems every week I was reading about another rider death in Minnesota, cumulating in the death of both parents of one of my employees last week:

Michael and Kimberly Boylan, ages 59 and 55, were killed two-vehicle accident Sunday afternoon.

Police report that the Boylans were driving their 2012 Harley Davidson Motorcycle westbound on Exchange at I-394 when Ravindar Ganla, age 44, of Cleveland, Ohio, was traveling eastbound in a 2004 Hyundai Sonata and attempted to turn left onto I-394 northbound in front of the Harley Davidson motorcycle, striking the motorcycle.

Michael and Kimberly Boylan were both transported to area hospitals for injuries and were later pronounced deceased.

In 2013, the Boylan’s son Patrick died in a motorcycle accident, too, in the parking lot at Crete Monee High School.

He and his girlfriend Kelsey McGill, 18, both died.

We are facing an ever increasingly distracted population on the roads. Does this affect the way you ride? Does it affect the amount you ride?

We just had one last weekend after the Santas Toy run she ran into a Jersey barrier on a small curve , I think it was rider inexperience, Two weeks ago a crotch rocket going to fast missed the turn and his passenger was killed, same weekend a bike high sided on a curve and hit a car,

I hate riding in the city too many bad drivers, I ride like they are all out to kill me.

Afterfour(Rick)

• Like 2

There has been a lot of motorcycle deaths this summer in Washington, half of them crash on sharp corners because they don’t understand how to get the bike to turn that sharp so I think they just try to lean a little harder and discover to late it doesn’t work.

Speed kills & watch for furenoors drivin' Jap cars.

& yes, 'they' are out to getcha 4 sure...

Don't let 'em add ya to their body count.

Ridin' Shadowfax

21c6c3pvoqty.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Too many "phone zombies" staring into the abyss of apps! I'm glad to be away from the metro area, but you have to drive more defensively than ever these days.

• Like 1

Between the electronic junkies, the dope junkies, the too old to drive junkies, and the too young to drive junkies, it's a murder maize out there.

Exactly.

My wife is a pharmacist and is constantly refusing to fill opiod prescriptions early. She has stories every day she works. There's a huge segment of our population out there taking these things, many taking more than prescribed, and driving around. Throw in the "texters", the blind elderly and the stupid (the ones living in the left lane and don't have a clue that that little stick on the left side of the steering column will actually indicate turns and lane shifts) and that leaves around 10% responsible drivers. Not great odds.

• Like 1

We are facing an ever increasingly distracted population on the roads. Does this affect the way you ride? Does it affect the amount you ride?

Yes... people are more distracted. yes it makes me look a lil' harder for idiots around me. No, it does not affect the amount I ride.

'We are facing an ever increasingly distracted population on the roads. Does this affect the way you ride? Does it affect the amount you ride?'

1. Naw.---------- Additionally.... always been dangerous out there and always will be. Stay alert.

2. Nope. ----------To me distracted drivers or not I ride the same....in moderation and stay away from traffic when possible.....

....................med_gallery_3867_171_1209.jpg

Me Ride Um Centennial [MRUC]

cheers

in a blink of an eye. life can change. an today's non drive fucks make it even more so. makes country roads an dodge n critters a lot more appealing. to many lost lives.. PLEASE be CAREFUL

I went from around 10-12 k a year riding to less than 3k. I've been riding more than 45 years. I don't heal as well as I used to. Hell I get scared driving my 3/4 ton Silverado High Country let alone two wheels. No apologies here, I got a lifetime of two wheeled Indian Motorcycle ( and a few harlees) no complaints .

I think we all come close to getting pasted by some clueless idiot behind the wheel on a weekly basis. It has gotten a lot worse over the years , used to be watch the mini vans and older Lincolns and caddies , now it's anyone on four wheels

These days I don't ride to get somewhere , I don't ride on the interstates ( everyone doing 80+ while looking at their phones)

. I ride for the sake of the ride , a quiet two lane hwyway in the country , 60 mph or less, enjoying the view and the smell of the pines , stop for a burger an beer . I ride with the thought that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me , seems that they really are anymore

Be safe all

• Like 3

As for me, I always, always keep my eye on the front wheel of any vehicle I see at an intersection. You can look the idiots in the eye and they will still pull out on you. The wheel movement is your sign of what they mindlessly do while looking you in the eye as you approach while they glance down at the all important phone text message they are usually doing. Stay safe out there and ride defensively. :moped:

• Like 1

This morning my wife and I are taking a left at a big intersection behind probably 6 cars, the car to our right is still there after the car in front of him are gone, i’m Looking at him when he looks up from his phone and looks right at me then notices he’s all by himself and slowly rolls forward to the red light along with the line of cars behind him. No one honked or went around him it’s like everyone has accepted it now and just don’t care. The only way to fix this overwhelming problem is if the car manufacturers and phone manufacturers get together and figure out how to disable every function on that phone except to call 911. My humble opinion of course.

• Like 2

Ya well riding out early on a Monday morning is just asking to fulfill a deathwish ain't it?

Before the '90s cell phone proliferation, used to be the worst time to ride was any time near bar closing time.

Now posting social media vines is the new intoxicant for 'drunk as a skunk drivers'.

MADD got the legal blood alcohol down to .08 with prison for repeat offenders.

Mothers Against Texting Drivers could be the next evolution.

http://www.soy.fi/sot-lehti/3-2006/11.pdf