Indian Motorcycle Community

Damn, that brings back memories. I had a '69 Bonneville way back. My hands always smelled like gasoline from tickling the carbs. Mine had a one-piece fiberglass cafe body (tank, seat and rear fender) in metal-flake green. I thought it hauled ass back then. :no:

I've learned since in my old age to never sell any more guns or bikes. I've regretted selling each one.

Mine was a '69 Bonnie, rebuilt more times than I can count while I owned her (and want her back GC20521). Had a rigid rear, and 14 over springer - and that's what I learned to ride on! Last build included a plunger rear end, Boyer-Benson ignition, and brand new re-issue Amal carbs. Took it to Ron Finch to rebuild the front end (brought the stripped frame too in case he might recognize the rake job), and he confirmed he was likely to have been the original customizer. That was cool to learn.

Sold and traded a few bikes, but never a gun, except the ones I gave to my sons.

• Like 1

I was drinking High West's "a mid winters nights dram" one the Best they have produced, very limited and hard to get.

I always have a good supply of Jameson and Ted Breast as well, Good stuff , -1 and snow over my head, not sure when I will get the toys out :(

Jameson! Didn't know you were Irish me friend. Will NOT miss you next time through..

• Like 1

Flavor-Aid damn it.

Flavor-Aid. Not Kool-Aid.

I like riding my 2003 Chief, my 2015 Ural Gear Up, and my wifes Vulva and dont really care what others think of what I ride.

They all make me happy and put a smile on my face.

:grin:

is the Vulva the automatic or 6 speed ?

• Like 3

My Spirit was posted on evil bay , took one look and had to have it , anything over 65 mph she feels like my old Honda 50, I'm good for about 100 miles at the most, my hips hurt, my knees hurt, my shoulders hurt and my back hurts, but then again I'm becoming an old bastard, something a few of my friends didn't have the opportunity to do.

Bottom line, my bike is just too cool , at least to me, parked outside the No Name Saloon someone always walks past the HD's and takes her picture, not that it really matters anyway. Like. Lot of things we all do to clear out head, she gets me in the wind, while we do our dance on a twisty road breathing in the pines or the hay fields, for a brief time it's just me and my bike and everything else is in hold

The older I get , the less I care about what anyone else thinks, I have met some of the people on this forum in person and some only online. Just one more thing my Indian has given back to me are the fine people on here ( and IIRA). The help when something is broke, a pleasant argument when it comes politics or social matters , a lot laughs with crude humor , the ability to soil aisle 5 and kind word of encouragement when someone close is sick or broken.

So much for the deep thoughts as I sit here in front of the fire in 2 degrees under 400 inches of snow, lab sleeping on my lap and good glass of whiskey in my hand .

Enjoy the ride my friends !

You need to come to Durango this year. I think KenB and I were the only ones holding up the Irish side last year. :grin:

Not much into hard liquor but my brother and I visited the local Indian dealer today and then a couple pubs. We only tried 14 new beers.....for some reason, I can't remember the ones I liked.....

• Like 1

You need to come to Durango this year. I think KenB and I were the only ones holding up the Irish side last year. :grin:

Not much into hard liquor but my brother and I visited the local Indian dealer today and then a couple pubs. We only tried 14 new beers.....for some reason, I can't remember the ones I liked.....

I plan on being there with you all, I'll even bring a mop for aisle 5 :)

• Like 1

is the Vulva the automatic or 6 speed ?

I thought they were all manuals.

• Like 2

I thought they were all manuals.

And the older ones are hard to start and sometimes quit all together

• Like 1

And the older ones are hard to start and sometimes quit all together

The older ones sometimes need a little lube to get started then the run fine

• Like 1

The best bike is the one you ride... then at the end of the day you say "damn, that was sweet. I'm sure lucky to have this bike."

Finally was able to get my '02 Chief out for a 100 mile ride yesterday - outstanding weather! You know when you still love your bike when you're at the last 10 miles of the ride and you keep trying to come up with reasons why you "need" to extend the ride and arrive late to the upcoming dinner party. I love that Chief - definitely worth the fussing from the wife for getting home late!

NC-Chief

• Like 3

I'm a fan of the gilroy era bikes, I planned to buy a new one when they first came out but the lack of a tear drop light made me hesitant.

I still haven't got passed that, so I still ride my gilroy and may pick another up before they get even more rare to find.

Edited by Weber
  • Like 1

I'm a fan of the gilroy era bikes, I planned to buy a new one when they first came out but the lack of a tear drop light made me hesitant.

I still haven't got passed that, so I still ride my gilroy and may pick another up before they get even more rare to find.

Seems like Polaris made a deliberate effort to ignore the Gilroy and KM portion of Indian history.

I would have preferred a tear drop headlight as well, but my SL bikes are much more comfortable to ride and reliable.

I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to Indian even though I've owned one since 2003, and like nearly all on here, went through, and still going through the Gilroy trip ups.

Besides this one, I am on several different forums, again, like most of you. This may be just me, but I have never seen so many guys who have swallowed the Polaris Pill regarding Indian. I admit they are a great bike, look great, and ride so much better than what I have. However, they talk about Polaris - Indian DNA going back to the original Springfield bikes. To me, every company makes their own DNA and that is accomplished through decades of building motorcycles.

Secondly, most of the guys on the Indian forums, like Polaris, won't even recognize the Gilroys. They just call them the Harley clones. As most of us know, the 2002 and 2003 had as many proprietory parts as the Polaris Indian does now, we just realized the limitations of what Gilroy built.

Finally, the guys on the other forums are always trying to "sell" how great their bikes are, or so much better than Harley. I don't need to bang a drum or lead a cheering squad for what I ride, I know what I have and what it does for me.

Some of these moss heads are so bad I'm considering just getting off the forums. No offense to any Polaris owners here, as most on this forum realize where Indian has come from....us.

If you don't own a 'new' SL bike, the 'other' forum has no value, IMHO. It's mainly populated with newbies that think Indian didn't exist between ''53 and '14 ( model years ) .. and the new SLs are proof of it to them. When a new Gilroy or KM owner pops up there, I redirect them here.

"Another forum" that started up previous to the 'other' one... is barely getting by .. few folks that couldn't handle the pressure on this forum on it mainly ... and there is "yet another' forum that is populated , by folks that got butt hurt on the 'other' forum..... are you still with me???

Most of the folks that are new owners ( not all of course ) .. don't get it , and may never. They sit around and wonder what they're going to do tomorrow.. stressed .. if PI goes under or something.. because.. just look at the poor Vic guys. Apparently all their bikes quit running and they were left stranded on the side of the road....

p.s. Why do I go spend time at the 'other' forum? Because, it's an excellent, vast resource for the new SL bikes , just like this one is.. for the Gilroys and KMs... Just a ton of BS you have to sift through .... it's sort of the Facebook of Indian Forums....

p.s.s. If you need a 2017 Calendar .. head over to the "other" forum. They are going cheap!

Edited by RickkciR
  • Like 3

If you don't own a 'new' SL bike, the 'other' forum has no value, IMHO. It's mainly populated with newbies that think Indian didn't exist between ''53 and '14 ( model years ) .. and the new SLs are proof of it to them. When a new Gilroy or KM owner pops up there, I redirect them here.

"Another forum" that started up previous to the 'other' one... is barely getting by .. few folks that couldn't handle the pressure on this forum on it mainly ... and there is "yet another' forum that is populated , by folks that got butt hurt on the 'other' forum..... are you still with me???

Most of the folks that are new owners ( not all of course ) .. don't get it , and may never. They sit around and wonder what they're going to do tomorrow.. stressed .. if PI goes under or something.. because.. just look at the poor Vic guys. Apparently all their bikes quit running and they were left stranded on the side of the road....

p.s. Why do I go spend time at the 'other' forum? Because, it's an excellent, vast resource for the new SL bikes , just like this one is.. for the Gilroys and KMs... Just a ton of BS you have to sift through .... it's sort of the Facebook of Indian Forums....

p.s.s. If you need a 2017 Calendar .. head over to the "other" forum. They are going cheap!

If it wasn't for reading those other forums, I wouldn't know if I should wave to other bikers or not and all that other important stuff :oops:

• Like 4

Lots of FNG's here in Daytona who never head of indian 18 mos ago.went to the Indian breakfast this morning with some who heard of it 80 years or more ago

• Like 2

I thought the breakfast was tomorrow?

I was surprised to see so few gilroy or KM Indians at Daytona, I seen a lot of Polaris Indians all over the place.

• Like 1

I got mine!

• Like 1

I saw Blue Chief, Scottdawg and 335 at the race track I was with Glace and the Insane one. I had to leave unexpectedly yesterday and couldn't accept Louie's gracious invite to dinner yesterday.

I went to the race as well, took my 3 sons.

So if you sat in the Indian section and seen a guy with three young boys, that was us.

• Like 1