Indian Motorcycle Community

The Indian Kool Aid

I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to Indian even though I've owned one since 2003, and like nearly all on here, went through, and still going through the Gilroy trip ups.

Besides this one, I am on several different forums, again, like most of you. This may be just me, but I have never seen so many guys who have swallowed the Polaris Pill regarding Indian. I admit they are a great bike, look great, and ride so much better than what I have. However, they talk about Polaris - Indian DNA going back to the original Springfield bikes. To me, every company makes their own DNA and that is accomplished through decades of building motorcycles.

Secondly, most of the guys on the Indian forums, like Polaris, won't even recognize the Gilroys. They just call them the Harley clones. As most of us know, the 2002 and 2003 had as many proprietory parts as the Polaris Indian does now, we just realized the limitations of what Gilroy built.

Finally, the guys on the other forums are always trying to "sell" how great their bikes are, or so much better than Harley. I don't need to bang a drum or lead a cheering squad for what I ride, I know what I have and what it does for me.

Some of these moss heads are so bad I'm considering just getting off the forums. No offense to any Polaris owners here, as most on this forum realize where Indian has come from....us.

• Like 7

Many times you have to consider the source... I ride what I like & like yourself it could be a Honda, Montesa or a Ural on any given day. Some people need to bash to make themselves feel better about their lives, on that note my 1080cc K-2 will beat your Honda chopper :rasp:

• Like 5

I've had the same experience . . . but as Chris says "consider the source." The other forum that I frequent has far more participants and doesn't have the same foundation that this forum was built on, so I just take their chest pounding in stride. This forum is more like home and the participants here more like family; the other forum has its place but it's just not the same.

When I made the decision to trade-in my 2003 Roadmaster, The Iron Beast, the nearest Polaris Indian dealer wouldn't give me the time of day but the other dealer was willing to work with me and treated me fairly. So even within the new Polaris Indian dealerships there is a range of different attitudes and behaviors. It is what it is.

• Like 1

My Honda chopper has an 836 kit with nitrous, but believe me, it only goes fast in a very straight line. Trying to turn that thing are what nightmares are made of.

I also agree Tallrider, so many of the other forums are Indian guys only with the Polaris introduction and many of them came off other brands as well. They have zero information regarding the Gilroys and other Indian versions. They think owning an Indian for two or three years makes them an authority. They fail to recognize all of the past and failed, and very lousy attempts at resurrection of the Indian marquee.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Polaris sold Indian as well at some future date and just concentrated on their other product lines.

My Honda chopper has an 836 kit with nitrous, but believe me, it only goes fast in a very straight line. Trying to turn that thing are what nightmares are made of.

I also agree Tallrider, so many of the other forums are Indian guys only with the Polaris introduction and many of them came off other brands as well. They have zero information regarding the Gilroys and other Indian versions. They think owning an Indian for two or three years makes them an authority. They fail to recognize all of the past and failed, and very lousy attempts at resurrection of the Indian marquee.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Polaris sold Indian as well at some future date and just concentrated on their other product lines.

My 1080 is a "1/4 mile only" built by Russ Collins of drag race fame, it don't do anything well but go straight, I wish I had the $$ I dumped into that damn engine.

The best bike is the one you ride... then at the end of the day you say "damn, that was sweet. I'm sure lucky to have this bike."

• Like 6

I'm on a couple other forums as well. One I hardly visit anymore because of the all the bickering and bashing.....although it has settled down some. The other has a lot of members and people new to the Indian brand. It's fine but not nearly as personal (or personable) as this forum. There are a lot of asshats there who think that the number of posts they make makes them senior and smarter than everyone else. There's a lot of good info there but a lot of redundancy too. Between this forum and the other, there's a good balance.....although I can say I've actually met a lot of guys/gals on this forum and they're great people.

• Like 5

I like riding my 2003 Chief, my 2015 Ural Gear Up, and my wifes Vulva and dont really care what others think of what I ride.

They all make me happy and put a smile on my face.

:grin:

• Like 2

I know lightning is going to strike me dead, I've been in Fort Myers all week at the Red Sox spring training camp. I flew down, the weather was in the 80's and I was close to the Everglades one of the few places I have never been was tired of being in the Hyundai we rented and wanted to rent a bike.

. I really tried hard to rent a Chief, closest one I could find was 150 miles away. I went to the local HD shop and rented a FLHTCABCDEFG. It was small for me around the floorboards was only complaint.Bike preformed flawlessly, was well balanced, Ms. Micmac was comfortable it was painted in a Centennial paint scheme. Not ever gonna get one but it was a good ride. Best thing is My CFO (Ms. Micmac) said when the new Chiefs come out we need one! Thank you Harley Davis!

Edited by Micmac
  • Like 5

Good on ya for being a Red Sox fan, I'm one as well. I used to do some work with them as well and furnished some training and rehab equipment. They ended up sending me a BIG box full of autographed and collectible stuff.

I know lightning is going to strike me dead, I've been in Fort Myers all week at the Red Sox spring training camp. I flew down, the weather was in the 80's and I was close to the Everglades one of the few places I have never been was tired of being in the Hyundai we rented and wanted to rent a bike.

. I really tried hard to rent a Chief, closest one I could find was 150 miles away. I went to the local HD shop and rented a FLHTCABCDEFG. It was small for me around the floorboards was only complaint.Bike preformed flawlessly, was well balanced, Ms. Micmac was comfortable it was painted in a Centennial paint scheme. Not ever gonna get one but it was a good ride. Best thing is My CFO (Ms. Micmac) said when the new Chiefs come out we need one! Thank you Harley Davis!

Get her on the back of a Roadmaster... you'll take one home that day....

• Like 2

i myself dont got to shits what they think, give me 2 cylinders an a carb an im happy i can beleave all the shit there adding to bikes nowadays, besides i think the 03 vintage is the best looking one of the lot! no bragg just fact lol

• Like 2

Really feels like I am on the opposite end of things compared to when I rode a '69 Triumph Bonneville, and was an officer in a local Triumph club. Triumph had gone under, then resurrected under new ownership and they wanted nothing to do with the vintage bikes that paved the way for the sales they enjoy today. Yep, I got an old soul attitude. We welcomed them, but the sentiment did not come back in full. Twenty plus years later MTR (Metro Triumph Riders) is alive and well, and there is a balanced blend of new and old bikes, and better community amongst members. Funny thing is; many of my old-school chums are buying new Indians, not Triumphs.

So somebody please send me to my safe space with some Playdough, crayons, and a puppy. I get the Gilroy era attitude, really, but it kinda bums me out that I got this KILLER American bike with new tech enhancing old-school styling that I can ride from Detroit, MI to Bodega, CA without breaking down (not that Gilroys are unreliable). I got a friggin' Indian, and I am damn proud of it! The Indian name is alive and well, and at great expense I helped. Sorry it was made by Polaris - a great company. Pass me a red crayon, no, the blood red one. Sniffle...

And btw - I will happily trade my '84 Sporster (everything rebuilt but the trans since 2013, and low miles) even up for any Gilroy (preferably black) era bike that runs good.

A question(s) though; Did the Gilroy dealers work on the originals? I got a feeling they did not (correct me if I am wrong), and this makes me think some of y'all are busting PI's chops unfairly, although I am equally disappointed PI dealers don't service the Ameican icon BRAND they now own. And what did old-school Indian owners think of people on Gilroy's when they came out?

Back to my crayons.......

ROFL

• Like 1

didn't know the red sox had fans.

Al

Really feels like I am on the opposite end of things compared to when I rode a '69 Triumph Bonneville, and was an officer in a local Triumph club. Triumph had gone under, then resurrected under new ownership and they wanted nothing to do with the vintage bikes that paved the way for the sales they enjoy today. Yep, I got an old soul attitude. We welcomed them, but the sentiment did not come back in full. Twenty plus years later MTR (Metro Triumph Riders) is alive and well, and there is a balanced blend of new and old bikes, and better community amongst members. Funny thing is; many of my old-school chums are buying new Indians, not Triumphs.

So somebody please send me to my safe space with some Playdough, crayons, and a puppy. I get the Gilroy era attitude, really, but it kinda bums me out that I got this KILLER American bike with new tech enhancing old-school styling that I can ride from Detroit, MI to Bodega, CA without breaking down (not that Gilroys are unreliable). I got a friggin' Indian, and I am damn proud of it! The Indian name is alive and well, and at great expense I helped. Sorry it was made by Polaris - a great company. Pass me a red crayon, no, the blood red one. Sniffle...

And btw - I will happily trade my '84 Sporster (everything rebuilt but the trans since 2013, and low miles) even up for any Gilroy (preferably black) era bike that runs good.

A question(s) though; Did the Gilroy dealers work on the originals? I got a feeling they did not (correct me if I am wrong), and this makes me think some of y'all are busting PI's chops unfairly, although I am equally disappointed PI dealers don't service the Ameican icon BRAND they now own. And what did old-school Indian owners think of people on Gilroy's when they came out?

ROFL

The Gilroy dealers and mechanics wee just fuck'n phenomenal.... 😜

• Like 2

The Gilroy dealers and mechanics wee just fuck'n phenomenal....

The fact that the Garlick era dealers were less than stellar produced the best damn Indian Motorcycle Forum

In The World. :rauch08::Rulz[1]:

• Like 6

I like riding my 2003 Chief, my 2015 Ural Gear Up, and my wifes Vulva and dont really care what others think of what I ride.

They all make me happy and put a smile on my face.

:grin:

That comment put a smile on my face.

Thank you!

ROF

Damn, that brings back memories. I had a '69 Bonneville way back. My hands always smelled like gasoline from tickling the carbs. Mine had a one-piece fiberglass cafe body (tank, seat and rear fender) in metal-flake green. I thought it hauled ass back then. :no:

I've learned since in my old age to never sell any more guns or bikes. I've regretted selling each one.

• Like 1

didn't know the red sox had fans.

Al

I used to follow the Winnipeg thrashers, but they moved to kamloops
  • Like 1

My Spirit was posted on evil bay , took one look and had to have it , anything over 65 mph she feels like my old Honda 50, I'm good for about 100 miles at the most, my hips hurt, my knees hurt, my shoulders hurt and my back hurts, but then again I'm becoming an old bastard, something a few of my friends didn't have the opportunity to do.

Bottom line, my bike is just too cool , at least to me, parked outside the No Name Saloon someone always walks past the HD's and takes her picture, not that it really matters anyway. Like. Lot of things we all do to clear out head, she gets me in the wind, while we do our dance on a twisty road breathing in the pines or the hay fields, for a brief time it's just me and my bike and everything else is in hold

The older I get , the less I care about what anyone else thinks, I have met some of the people on this forum in person and some only online. Just one more thing my Indian has given back to me are the fine people on here ( and IIRA). The help when something is broke, a pleasant argument when it comes politics or social matters , a lot laughs with crude humor , the ability to soil aisle 5 and kind word of encouragement when someone close is sick or broken.

So much for the deep thoughts as I sit here in front of the fire in 2 degrees under 400 inches of snow, lab sleeping on my lap and good glass of whiskey in my hand .

Enjoy the ride my friends !

• Like 7

My Spirit was posted on evil bay , took one look and had to have it , anything over 65 mph she feels like my old Honda 50, I'm good for about 100 miles at the most, my hips hurt, my knees hurt, my shoulders hurt and my back hurts, but then again I'm becoming an old bastard, something a few of my friends didn't have the opportunity to do.

Bottom line, my bike is just too cool , at least to me, parked outside the No Name Saloon someone always walks past the HD's and takes her picture, not that it really matters anyway. Like. Lot of things we all do to clear out head, she gets me in the wind, while we do our dance on a twisty road breathing in the pines or the hay fields, for a brief time it's just me and my bike and everything else is in hold

The older I get , the less I care about what anyone else thinks, I have met some of the people on this forum in person and some only online. Just one more thing my Indian has given back to me are the fine people on here ( and IIRA). The help when something is broke, a pleasant argument when it comes politics or social matters , a lot laughs with crude humor , the ability to soil aisle 5 and kind word of encouragement when someone close is sick or broken.

So much for the deep thoughts as I sit here in front of the fire in 2 degrees under 400 inches of snow, lab sleeping on my lap and good glass of whiskey in my hand .

Enjoy the ride my friends !

Soooo... what are you drinking? I've really been enjoying the Jameson... but have dabbled with some Ryes... crown Royal is a good one... and some other Irish... Red Breast is a good one...

I was drinking High West's "a mid winters nights dram" one the Best they have produced, very limited and hard to get.

I always have a good supply of Jameson and Ted Breast as well, Good stuff , -1 and snow over my head, not sure when I will get the toys out :(

• Like 1

I was drinking High West's "a mid winters nights dram" one the Best they have produced, very limited and hard to get.

I always have a good supply of Jameson and Ted Breast as well, Good stuff , -1 and snow over my head, not sure when I will get the toys out :(

I never let the Jameson run low... it's my go to...

Enjoy... never had High West..