Indian Motorcycle Community

How's This For Gas Mileage?

I just bought a Jaguar F-Type and there is a thread in the Jaguar forum to see who can get the lowest MPG. How's this for gas mileage?

IMG_1115_zps1gc6ongn.jpeg

I'm not driving a Jag, but the thread title got my attn. because I am fairly miserly when it comes to mpg. I'm getting almost 34 mpg average in my Focus.

Is neutral your favorite gear? I tend to shift into neutral (or clutch), not just coast in gear, when coming to a stop sign or light. On my drive/ride to work I get to coast downhill to two of my freeway exits for about a half a mile. This means I am doing 70 at idle - great mileage! Also a few other places I know where I can coast to a stop sign, or traffic light. I aggressively seek opportunities to coast, especially on routine commutes, but I do make sure I'm not pissing off someone behind me. If you are not already doing this, seek these opportunities to coast in neutral (or clutching) and you might see a significant improvement in a week or two. You'll be amazed at how far initertia will take you.

• Like 1

My last Mercedes had a feature where the engine would shut off every time you came to a stop. As soon as you took your foot off the brake, it would start again before you could even get your foot on the gas pedal. Novel concept, probably to save gas but, it drove me nuts. Every day I drove it, the first thing I did was disable that feature.

• Like 2

Yeh, the FType has eco mode where it does he same thing. Drove me crazy too so it doesn't get used!

My last Mercedes had a feature where the engine would shut off every time you came to a stop. As soon as you took your foot off the brake, it would start again before you could even get your foot on the gas pedal. Novel concept, probably to save gas but, it drove me nuts. Every day I drove it, the first thing I did was disable that feature.

I read DK's post this morning, and this afternoon my wife is telling me some of the new Fords have this now too. She said, "That would drive me crazy."

I was gonna post a concern over how much extra gas it takes to start an engine, but apparently the Ford guys say this is not the case with an Eco-boost motor.

Yeah, on the Mercedes, it just jumped to live instantly....no starter cranking or anything. Heater/air conditioner never shut off when the engine was off or even when it restarted. I wondered about the wear and tear on the starter and engine when it did this but it's obviously not a concern to the manufacturer.

Remember the old TV commercials (I think it was a motor oil commercial) that would ask "What is the worst thing you can do to your car"?

The answer was "Start it".

Guess they figured that one out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...