Indian Motorcycle Community

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife asked me, "What are you going to do today?"   I replied, "Nothing".   She said, "That's what you did all day yesterday!"   I said, "I wasn't finished yet".

Tip 1: OWN your house outright - no house payments. Tip 2: Move to a place with low property taxes. Tip 3: OWN all your vehicles - no payments... period. Tip 4: Move someplace conservative.

One thing that is different in retirement - I don't ride as much on weekends. I use those days to catch up on things at home.   Riding from Monday - Friday is damned nice.. no crowds, no weekend pos

I grew up in the Detriot area in fact I just sold my house in Novi last month. I will probably be looking to get a job with the railroads when I move back so I will be looking around the area where the train depots are.

Slick

Guess you don't need so many tips on the areas then 'eh? Lol. Well, as it so happens, I also know a guy that works for a RR company, so let me know when you get here, and I'd be glad to drop a word for ya (for what it's worth) if you're looking for work.

I check my schedule every morning and its always blank. Travelin in the rolling wig wam for the last couple of months and doin lots of exploring on the bikes..... I love the toy hauler... New Springfields too!

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

The plan is coming together.. Picked up this toy hauler this morning....

It was almost a grand slam... my company offered a voluntary reduction in force... 1 week pay for each year of service... I was gone... but my job is exempt.... going soon anyway... just without a package....

0CF4E007-8CFA-4C37-B5E3-F5FD80DB5547.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone who retires in Joisey has a screw loose....

Two of my children and my Grandchild are in Florida, so I guess I will probably end up there some day....

Florida is mostly 10 ft above sealevel ... maybe not for long now.

940ft above sealevel here at home.

If you happen to look in the greater Detriot area/Wayne Co. let me know and I can try to advise. It's about 2.5 hrs to Westbranch from here. Ins. rates are higher than other counties though. The Waterford area is pretty nice too, lots of small lakes with public access. Lotus Lake has a few properties for sale, but pricey.

Yep, that's why I live in Waterford. Can't wait for the wife to retire also. That's what I get for Marrying a younger woman.

• Like 2

Retirement . . . where every night is Friday night and every day is Saturday and where your biggest decision is "where do I ride to today?" Never been happier.

Could not have said it better.

Yep, that's why I live in Waterford. Can't wait for the wife to retire also. That's what I get for Marrying a younger woman.

Oh shit. Then I'm really screwed. I'll be dead and rotting by the time she gets to retirement age.

• Like 1

Well... I went ahead and applied for the voluntary even though they said I'm not eligible... we'll see what happens... doesn't sound like they got the number of peeps they wanted so they may be opening it up... I talked to my boss... he was ok but wants a 6 - 12 month transition... I'm ok with that.. another year and I'm gone anyway... the package just makes it doable early....

• Like 2

They turned down my voluntary layoff request... so.. either March or September 2017... I'm gone...

Loading the toy hauler for a Tennessee weekend... first trip... me and Carrie.., son and his wife... gonna be fun...

• Like 1

I have a different perspective on things. I got divorced in 1995, started a business I could work from home so I could get joint custody of my kids. Spent the next 20 years raising my kids and step kids. Never missed a baseball game (coached him into the Little League world series....all the way to college) or an art show. I worked enough to pay for my lifestyle (but did all right, not wanting to grow beyond my purpose of raising the family. I got to spend time with both my parents before they passed and nothing was left unsaid. I considered myself semi retired during the best years of my life. But as the kidlets grew up and needed me less and less, I lost my purpose. In 2015 I took a job with the company that took over my business. I now manage and get to teach the millennials (oye vey) the finer points of logistics. It is nice to be useful/appreciated again

• Like 2

I have a different perspective on things. I got divorced in 1995, started a business I could work from home so I could get joint custody of my kids. Spent the next 20 years raising my kids and step kids. Never missed a baseball game (coached him into the Little League world series....all the way to college) or an art show. I worked enough to pay for my lifestyle (but did all right, not wanting to grow beyond my purpose of raising the family. I got to spend time with both my parents before they passed and nothing was left unsaid. I considered myself semi retired during the best years of my life. But as the kidlets grew up and needed me less and less, I lost my purpose. In 2015 I took a job with the company that took over my business. I now manage and get to teach the millennials (oye vey) the finer points of logistics. It is nice to be useful/appreciated again

I take a somewhat similar approach. Most people live life like you buy a house. Work your ass off for 30+ years to be able to relax once it's paid for. I take a lease approach. Low payments, but I know there will be a whole big ball of hell to pay at the end.

Just got back from some fine riding in Tennessee... beautiful in the Smokys.... I don't like loading and unloading the toy hauler.. too damn steep a ramp... I gotta figure something else out... but the camping was fun... the riding was great... the weather sucked... but looking forward to the next trip and to my retirement... I think I'm gonna like it.

• Like 2

Retire early as feasible & keep your health good ~ even try to rejuvenate in your spare time.

There is nothing good to enjoy in life if you get stuck with debilitating poor health.

If you get bored, take a part time job.

Hobbies are good if you can somehow justify the time spent.

Keep moving don't sit still.

• Like 2

Just got back from some fine riding in Tennessee... beautiful in the Smokys.... I don't like loading and unloading the toy hauler.. too damn steep a ramp... I gotta figure something else out... but the camping was fun... the riding was great... the weather sucked... but looking forward to the next trip and to my retirement... I think I'm gonna like it.

I have this ramp it works very well, I hate how high it is though,but it is nice and wide for your feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr4UFJC5Ozo

I have this ramp it works very well, I hate how high it is though,but it is nice and wide for your feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr4UFJC5Ozo

Oh and it's aluminum so it doesnt weigh much,one guy can move it and set it up, I take a ratchet strap from ramp to tow hitch to prevent potential slide out of ramp.

my problem with the ramps is .. the fishtails take a hit most of the time... ... few more times and the interfering metal will be gone :)

Agreed. One of the local Cycle Rescue operations out here uses trailers which have a drop down, hand crank/gear operated, floor. This "drop down flat trailer floor" puts the bike loading surface about 2.5 inches above a flat asphalt paved road. It's pretty sweet & as can be seen in the photo ( see Link below ) one trailer has multiple chocks up front for two full size centennial chiefs.

http://paulscyclerescue.tripod.com/

me ride um centennial [MRUC]

cheers

• 1 year later...

Well retirement plans have solidified... vacation next week... going to give notice while I'm gone... come back a week.. another vacation week to Florida to camp and ride.... come back for two weeks... and boom... I'm done...

Although they already have me scheduled for some contract work the week after I retire... my boss already knows.. I'm just not telling HR....

There'll be enough contract work to keep me out of the poor house and to enable travels around the country....

Since these plans are done.. we've extended our trip out west to go from Durango/Denver up to the Black Hills for 4 days before we come home...

I already know I'm gonna like retirement....

• Like 3

Well retirement plans have solidified... vacation next week... going to give notice while I'm gone... come back a week.. another vacation week to Florida to camp and ride.... come back for two weeks... and boom... I'm done...

Although they already have me scheduled for some contract work the week after I retire... my boss already knows.. I'm just not telling HR....

There'll be enough contract work to keep me out of the poor house and to enable travels around the country....

Since these plans are done.. we've extended our trip out west to go from Durango/Denver up to the Black Hills for 4 days before we come home...

I already know I'm gonna like retirement....

You damned right you're going to like retirement...and; don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. :ooh2:

I read your earlier post regarding the height of the back door on your toy hauler and it's (often) too high. I've been down nearly the exact same route as yourself when I retired - 5th-wheel, a couple toy haulers, gone for x3 months out West, etc.

Regarding getting the motorcycle in & out. You're most often going to be leaving the motorcycle 'out' of the toy-hauler while you're 'parked' at an RV campground facility or elsewhere for the duration of your stay. Find an area either within the RV facility or out of the RV facility to unload your motorcycle. Find an area where the toy-hauler's back-end (rear) is about 12", 16", 24" or whatever 'below' grade and off-load your motorcycle to a nearly level area. Much easier and fast to find an area below grade to off-load and load - just back up to the 'slope' of the hill, drop your rear door and off-load. Easy peasy.

BTW, FWIW, I carry a 10' square canopy and set-up that 10' canopy. It's great for keeping the motorcycle under (or anything else including the motorcycle) while you're enjoying your stay. You can pick-up a very well built 10' square canopy at Dick's Sporting Goods for about $100.00.

You damned right you're going to like retirement...and; don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. :ooh2:

I read your earlier post regarding the height of the back door on your toy hauler and it's (often) too high. I've been down nearly the exact same route as yourself when I retired - 5th-wheel, a couple toy haulers, gone for x3 months out West, etc.

Regarding getting the motorcycle in & out. You're most often going to be leaving the motorcycle 'out' of the toy-hauler while you're 'parked' at an RV campground facility or elsewhere for the duration of your stay. Find an area either within the RV facility or out of the RV facility to unload your motorcycle. Find an area where the toy-hauler's back-end (rear) is about 12", 16", 24" or whatever 'below' grade and off-load your motorcycle to a nearly level area. Much easier and fast to find an area below grade to off-load and load - just back up to the 'slope' of the hill, drop your rear door and off-load. Easy peasy.

BTW, FWIW, I carry a 10' square canopy and set-up that 10' canopy. It's great for keeping the motorcycle under (or anything else including the motorcycle) while you're enjoying your stay. You can pick-up a very well built 10' square canopy at Dick's Sporting Goods for about $100.00.

Thanks for the toy hauler loading advice... but... Ive moved to an RV pulling an enclosed trailer... so much easier to load and unload.. plus I have a place for the bike in bad weather and can still sleep in the RV...

Well probably never be gone much more than 3 weeks in a stint... my wife is a homebody and starts to miss the grandkids as were pulling out of the driveway... 😂

Same...I think I will be working until I am 70. I do dream of retirement though as those days will be time for me and what I want to do!