Indian Motorcycle Community

Sold the electra glide... sold the wife's solstice.... sold my Dakota.....

Bought a new RAM 1500 ecodiesel.... in the process of buying a toy hauler....

2 years max ... and I'm done.... can't wait....

• Like 5
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife asked me, "What are you going to do today?"   I replied, "Nothing".   She said, "That's what you did all day yesterday!"   I said, "I wasn't finished yet".

Tip 1: OWN your house outright - no house payments. Tip 2: Move to a place with low property taxes. Tip 3: OWN all your vehicles - no payments... period. Tip 4: Move someplace conservative.

One thing that is different in retirement - I don't ride as much on weekends. I use those days to catch up on things at home.   Riding from Monday - Friday is damned nice.. no crowds, no weekend pos

I tried it at 65...................

22 months of boredom.....................

Went back to work...........................

Biggest problem with being retired is ya don't ever get a day off.........................

Cain't tell Tuesday from Saturday.....................

Now I look forward to weekends and holidays..................

Lots better...................

YMMV......................

• Like 2

Retirement is everything it's cracked up to be. :nod: I retired four years ago and never plan on working again......unless it's for fun. I've been so busy since I retired, I don't know how I had time to work. The wife's retired too so that makes it better......if you like your wife. :grin:

• Like 5

Retirement . . . where every night is Friday night and every day is Saturday and where your biggest decision is "where do I ride to today?" Never been happier.

• Like 3

I'm hoping I can handle retirement.... 😜

• Like 3

I retired in 2006.

For reasons that I now don't understand I decided to try working in a HD dealer to see what retail employment is like. I lasted for 2 years - doing their on line sales, marketing, and website all for < $10 (good thing I didn't need the money) - A new GM came on and thought that "asshole" was part of his job description.. I wrote a 2 sentence resignation letter, that went something like this:

I took this job because it was fun, but it's not fun anymore. Today is my last day.

Now, as DK mentioned, I'm busier that I ever was. I volunteer at a no-kill animal shelter, take karate lessons, write, and ride. Retirement is fucking awesome.

• Like 5

Serving three to five more years before I am free. You guys are killing me - I must be turning several shades of green right now.

• Like 1

Tomorrow it should be 19 months max for me if my plan works they way I have it figured out. CANNOT wait to turn every day into a Saturday like y'all have said!! :moped:

• Like 5

One thing that is different in retirement - I don't ride as much on weekends. I use those days to catch up on things at home.

Riding from Monday - Friday is damned nice.. no crowds, no weekend posers. When I stop some place for lunch it isn't crowded.

• Like 8

I think I am just lazy enough to make retirement work....

• Like 5

I think I am just lazy enough to make retirement work....

People told me I'd get bored and have to get a job sometime after retirement to keep my sanity. I told them that they underestimated my laziness. :nod:

• Like 6

I retired a year ago yesterday and I absolutely love it. I initially thought the same but took the stand that its my time now and I haven't stopped enjoying it yet. I totally concur with KenB. The quiet weekday mornings are the very best to ride on here. Why would you battle traffic and crazy 4 wheelers on the weekends anymore?

I don't miss work at all. Seriously? management bureaucracy, corporate reviews, 28-32 hour air travel process to Israel and other countries, Extremely difficult (but great) customers, none of it. Was called and asked if I would come back as a contractor. My reply was NFW!

Finishing up long overdue home to do's now. Finishing up the Man Cave (28x44" detached garage #2) to create a full Bike service shop, big screen entertainment, Thursday night poker room, this winter. Prepping for fall Salmon run in 2 weeks. Every other morning out for walks at the state park beach on Lake Michigan. Real golf time now. Back out to the beach again to watch the sunset w/ wife tonight after dinner. I tell you it only gets a little bit better than this!

All I can say is just embrace it when the timing is right. You will know when. I did.

Edited by Kenai

Retired from teaching school in northern Michigan 13 years ago. Cut nails and pounded wood for a contractor for a dozen years until I was really ready to kick back. As nice as it sounded, retiring at 52 was too young and without something to do, I was afraid of getting old and fat. Funny thing is we ride fewer miles now than when we both worked. It's not something that has to be crammed into a weekend.

I'll be working forever, probably. I didn't plan. I spent all the money I SHOULD have put to retirement on motorcycles and other shit. yeah, I'm s stupid fucker.

• Like 2

Hell I start my first retirement next year. I will probably take a 2-4 month vacation and start my second career, hell I will only be 39 by that time. So where is a good spot to live in MI, my cabin is near West Branch and that might be to much of a commute back to the city.

Slick

I'll be working forever, probably. I didn't plan. I spent all the money I SHOULD have put to retirement on motorcycles and other shit. yeah, I'm s stupid fucker.

My career goal was always to retire. I had a magic number that I kept - and adjusted - and when I reached that number I turned in my resignation. I enjoyed what I did for a living; design work is always challenging and interesting, however I prefer riding my motorcycle and not having to answer to a boss (other than my wife).

• Like 3

I know I will be doing a lot more retired than I do working.... But it will be stuff I enjoy doing and NOT something I am told to do. YMMV

• Like 2

That's the truth of it. Your activity level will increase but it's your activities/ actions at your schedule/ pace. If you decide to blow off a day then you do it. It's all good.

Edited by Kenai
  • Like 1

My wife asked me, "What are you going to do today?"

I replied, "Nothing".

She said, "That's what you did all day yesterday!"

I said, "I wasn't finished yet".

• Like 10

You retired guys are making me all shades of jealous....

• Like 2

Hell I start my first retirement next year. I will probably take a 2-4 month vacation and start my second career, hell I will only be 39 by that time. So where is a good spot to live in MI, my cabin is near West Branch and that might be to much of a commute back to the city.

Slick

If you happen to look in the greater Detriot area/Wayne Co. let me know and I can try to advise. It's about 2.5 hrs to Westbranch from here. Ins. rates are higher than other counties though. The Waterford area is pretty nice too, lots of small lakes with public access. Lotus Lake has a few properties for sale, but pricey.

• Like 2

If you happen to look in the greater Detriot area/Wayne Co. let me know and I can try to advise. It's about 2.5 hrs to Westbranch from here. Ins. rates are higher than other counties though. The Waterford area is pretty nice too, lots of small lakes with public access. Lotus Lake has a few properties for sale, but pricey.

I grew up in the Detriot area in fact I just sold my house in Novi last month. I will probably be looking to get a job with the railroads when I move back so I will be looking around the area where the train depots are.

Slick

Tip 1: OWN your house outright - no house payments.

Tip 2: Move to a place with low property taxes.

Tip 3: OWN all your vehicles - no payments... period.

Tip 4: Move someplace conservative.

• Like 9