Indian Motorcycle Community

My Kid Went Down

So my kid wanted to start riding motorcycles. I thought it would be great. He's 24. He took a few classes, got his license and before I would let him ride one of the big boys, I told him to rent a smaller bike for a few weekends.

So he goes to the local harley place, and signs up for a 883 sportster. I told him that i thought our motorcycle insurance would cover the rental, since it does on the snowmobile rentals, but to call. He calls allstate and they say no, but call him back 5 minutes later and told him yes.

So he declines the insurance. Which had a $2,000.00 deductable and opts for our $500.00 one.

Goes to pick up the bike and they only have a 1200 to rent, complete with bags and window.

we ride home fine and get ready for the ride the next morning.

Of course, 2 miles from home, he lays it down turning the corner. I only hear his engine race and did not see what happened. A car stops and asks if we need help and if that car hit him. Kid has no idea, just said engine started racing and he either had to lay down or end up jumping curb and into the bushes.

He is fine, he was dressed properly, except he could have used gloves.

So now the other part.....Dealler looks at bike and guesses around $15-1700.00...I am like OK, just pay. They then call and say $3200.00! So I call insurance agent. He said the person made a mistake and I have rental coverage, but HE doesn't. But don't worry, I made a mistake....He is a stand up guy. He tells me don't woory, we will get it covered one way or another.

So I look at estimate and harley is charging list price for everything! I mean I could walk in there with my Indian shirt on and save 10-20 % over the counter.

Anyone ever deal with this? Is it better to file a claim and walk away or pay the 3200.00 so I don't loose my 15% good driver discount?

And yes, It could have been worse, I am greatful he walked with a few scrapes and a brused ego.

Has your insurance adjuster seen & evaluated the damage yet?

When I was 24, ( & since the age of 18 actually) I paid my own bills, insurance included.

When I rent anything anymore, I always get the insurance the rental company offers no matter what.

I avoid any entanglements that way.

An agent's opinion is not always consistent with the home office making the payout.

Sorry, not much help, I guess.

15% of what amount of yearly payments? Knowing that would help establish the path of less resistance for you.

Also who are you insured with?

Pick up a used Honda 250 Rebel to learn on maybe $1,000 & sell it when it doesn't get ridden anymore.

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99

you lose the good driver discount and also might see rate increase as well. Buy the bike and fix it yourself.

My 24 year old got his license this May he wanted an Indian darkhorse, yeah right. We found a 82 Honda CB 900 custom for a grand, he went down the first week he had it, thankfully not a bruise or damage. It was a slow sharp turn and excessive front brake, he won't do that again. How much is the used/rental worth? Maybe they give ya a deal. Just a thought.

CT

• Like 3

Most important is that your son is okay, the rest is baby shit in comparison. If Allstate informed your son he was covered on your policy they should be dealing directly with Harley, Of course Harley will pas as much into the repairs as possible but its up to them to agree or not.

Re: the 15% discount, whats the end cost on both cases, is it enough to pay out of pocket the repairs? Most insurenace companies may ding you after a claim and provide the discount back in a year or two, especially if you have been a solid customer and inform your agent that you have been offered better coverage at XYZ insurance for the same coverage.

Best of luck on the outcome

I am with Allstate. Bike was a 2016 sportster. probably worth $10,000?

The kid does pay his own insurance, but is on our policy.

You are right, he should have bought a cheap bike to learn on. As of now, he decided that a motorcycle isn't worth riding. Heck, I was going to let him ride the 03. Glad that didn't happen. Will be selling that now, since I ride the 2015 all of the time now.

Thanks for the responces.

Best to learn in the dirt or sandy area...pavement is an unforgiving landing pad.

Learning the hard way is painful & I am glad your son was not seriously injured.

It's probably best to start riding when young & flexible on smaller machines closer to the ground.

Once experienced, the exhilaration of windy acceleration on 2 wheels can overcome the fears of falling & road rash.

Having fallen, the will to continue to learn ways to keep the rubber side down can become embedded reflexes.

We learn to use the front brake mostly in the straights, not so much when in the turns, etc.

Any chance the Sportster had some defect with the throttle or brakes?

• Like 2

Any chance the Sportster had some defect with the throttle or brakes?

I rode it home. trottle sure wasn't as smooth as our bikes. They thought maybe that turn thumb screw that they call a cruise contro was tight, but it wasn't. I doubt they would admit they were at fault. You guys are right, $3200.00 is nothing compared to what could have happened. I am thankful for that

If he does try again I am with the group get a beater bike to start I know I laid my 1st bike down a few times so did my daughter. When My daughter decided to ride I got a $500 bike off Craigs list we tore it down to the frame together and rebuilt it. She learned alot and knows how er bike works no. After that bike was dropped a few times I stepped her up to a 2 year old 650 nw I am trying to move her to a 1000, and as others have said metal is replaceable.

Edited by toycar10

Not to Hijack this thread, but I just found out one of the youngsters at my old operating office had a get-off this past weekend, he was always coming in the office telling me about the wheelies, burn-outs & other stunts he & his posse would do, I was the old dude that told him to respect the ride and put it on the track if he wanted to play Kenny Roberts, well he had surgery today to put his leg & foot back where it should be and some stainless in the shoulder, rumor has it he is a bit uncomfortable as the road rash is stinging like a bitch.

PEZ, You & your family are living right & that brings good KARMA :nod:

Edit to add: The sawbonz says he should be able to learn how to walk again in 12-18 months

Edited by hasbin

Youthful exuberance and stupidity , we all been there and most of us fortunate to live through it.

Prayers for the young man for a speedy recovery

I learned to ride at 13 on a 1957 rigid panhead dresser with mousetrap and totally worn out motor. If I killed it, it took me 20 minutes to get it kickstarted again.

I hope he learns the correct way to ride and enjoys it for decades.

Glad he is OK. Unfortunatly most of us have done the same thing. I keep a Suzuki 650 (S40) around the house for that exact purpose. Anytime someone starts talking to me about learning to ride i offer them the use of the bike. I just tell them (in an Italian dialect) some day I will ask you for a favor.....

Jeff

• Like 1

The agent has E&O (errors and omissions) insurance to cover fuck ups like this. We all do. It's a requirement. I wouldn't worry about estimates and such. They will pay.... subject to to your deductible. The high estimate is their problem, not yours. Glad your son is OK.

The agent has E&O (errors and omissions) insurance to cover fuck ups like this. We all do. It's a requirement. I wouldn't worry about estimates and such. They will pay.... subject to to your deductible. The high estimate is their problem, not yours. Glad your son is OK.

That was exactly what the agent said, don't worry, his E&O will cover.

• Like 1