Indian Motorcycle Community

Best Under Helmet Earbuds For Riding

I'm researching earbuds for listening to music while I ride. So far I like to specs and looks of the Marshall Mode EQ and the Shure SE215 best. It'd be NICE to have the ability to use them to take calls, but I won't be on the phone when I ride, so not a huge deal. I suppose that would be a useful feature if I use them off the bike though.

The main needs I have are they must fit under a helmet comfortably and stay put in my ears. I also want them to reduce outside noise (mostly wind) so I don't need to crank the volume to hear them. I also still want to hear horns/sirens, ect. So not noise CANCELLING, but maybe noise REDUCING.

Anyone have a set they really like? Suggestions?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Personally, I have never liked the idea of covering or putting something in my ears while driving or riding. Loud fairing tunes (under 200 watts) still do not drown out road noises we need to hear. Something about the dynamics of sound; maybe just me. So if you are not 100% against speakers on your handlebars;

I had the "Sound of Chrome" speakers from J&P on my old Vic. They were the 50 watt version, and ok for around town, but over 60mph were inaudible. Hence, I highly recommend 100-200 watt systems for highway enjoyment; my RM's 100 watt system is quite acceptable. The Sound of Chrome setup (and other systems) now comes in a 100 watt version, with Bluetooth. They are a snap to install, and have an unobtrusive appearance.

I bought Jaybird X2's on Sam's Club's auction for $80. Totally self-contained, blue-tooth and the battery lasts 8 hours. I connect to my i-phone and play Pandora while riding.

For short trips I just do without. On long trips they are nice.

I use JVC earbuds, which have rubber pads, and I really like them. I did a bunch of research when I was looking for buds to go with my former MP3 player. I figured I'd end up with BOSE ear buds, or maybe Sennhieser's, since they usually are top rated. After checking out a lot of reviews and comparisons, the Bose's weren't getting good ratings, and the Sennhieser's weren't especially appreciated either, and at their cost, that's not good enough. What DID get a lot of real high marks were the JVC http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX5B-Inner-Headphones--Black/dp/B005K925UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463170968&sr=8-1&keywords=jvc+earbuds. I've had a couple of sets of them. I used to get the 'marshmallow' type, but the 'gummies' have rubber pads that don't block out as much noise. I have a dumb phone, a Samsung slider, since I want a phone that fits in my front pocket, so I've got no opinion on blue tooth, etc. But I run my wire down my back and around my belt loop, then to my tiny ipod in my watch pocket. I'm a geezer, so I don't give a shit about 'high tech' or what's in style. :)And I don't want a fairing or speakers blasting out what I'm hearing for everyone to hear. :( But these buds are, as far as I'm concerned, great speakers for a surprisingly cheap price available just about anywhere. (Best Buy, ebay, amazon, and even though I hate to give the place any advertising, Wallyworld.

It's not legal in this state, not that it stops anyone... EAR plugs are legal though.... Riddle me "that" Batman

• Like 1

Yeah, before I retired from the Ironworkers, I spent a lot of my long days (or sometimes nights) welding, or sitting on a bucket while my buddy welded, so I would have them in all the time, even though they were called 'safety violations' by the asshole safety dicks. One time when our General foreman came up to talk, I pulled one out of my ear so to talk, and he said, "Butch, don't let them catch you with those ear phones in." I smiled and told him, "Oh, these are my special order electronic noise diffusers, Hoppy!" :) He said, "Huh! Didn't know they made something like that. Well, that's probably alright then, just be careful!" "I'm always careful, Hop! This is iron work!" I was never asked about them again. I would run the wire under my neck bandana, through my denim shirt, through the gap between the pearl snaps on my shirt front and into my front pocket under it's flap. Semantics can be fun! Besides, they want you to protect your hearing, but not put those in your ears. I always had them low enough that I could hear my buddy or anybody yelling at us. With the noise level on most jobs, you couldn't hear much, anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Obiejuan- Hahaha! Black electric tape across the ears. Good one. Try Gorilla tape! (But it might pull your ears off when you take them out) :)