Indian Motorcycle Community

Side Project, Gold Top Flying V Guitar

Gorgeous work! I always loved the Flying Wedge guitars but, I'm about as musical as a bowling ball.

• Like 1

I play in 3 flats and get thrown out of all of them , it's amazing how many songs you can play knowing 3 chords G, C and D

I really suck be seem to get better with booze.

" the smoker you drink the player you get "

Nice guitar

• Like 3

I play in 3 flats and get thrown out of all of them , it's amazing how many songs you can play knowing 3 chords G, C and D

I really suck be seem to get better with booze.

" the smoker you drink the player you get "

Nice guitar

Yeah.

A Jazz musician plays 30 chords in front of 30 people.

A Rock musician plays 3 chords in front of 30,000 people.

• Like 3

I scrolled down slowly wondering what the finished product would look like... Wow! Nice work indeed.

If you are interested, check out Hamberguitars. I jammed with Bernie many many years ago for a short stint in a cover band, and knew him just long enough to see his guitars progress from above average to phenomenal. He has an interesting story too. Also noteworthy among my old acquaintances, if you can find him, is a luthier named Greg Allen Moore who has some very unique designs.

Your work looks right up there with both of the above. Kudos

• Like 1

Great work on the guitar, by the way.

How does it play/sound?

Thanks! It plays as good as, if not better than my Les Paul, which is pretty cool. I've really enjoyed building it. And it's been pretty rewarding for sure.

Here's an album with the progress pics..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207470845597640.1073741827.1483310533&type=1&l=fddb68e517

Edited by Sundaram
  • Like 1

As both a woodworker and a guitarist (bass), I say: "wow". Now if you tell me that is your first effort at building a guitar, I will hate you forever.

• Like 2

As both a woodworker and a guitarist (bass), I say: "wow". Now if you tell me that is your first effort at building a guitar, I will hate you forever.

Yes and no. The first one I made was a kit guitar, it was a Gibson Explorer style... This was my second one... Thanks!

As I'm sure you know, Gibson necks very from narrow/thin to fat/wide - with all permutations and combs thereof. Did you base yours on anything other than what felt good in your hand?

Edited by Blue Diesel
  • Like 1

As I'm sure you know, Gibson necks very from narrow/thin to fat/wide - with all permutations and combs thereof. Did you base yours on anything other than what felt good in your hand?

Yep. I have a les Paul that was my main guitar. I thinned it down to a little less thick than that one. I made the fretboard width a little wider though. I like a large playing surface to play on and building one gave me the opportunity to customize it just right.

• Like 2

Sounds like the neck on the 73 or 74 Goldtop Deluxe that I bought new and kill myself for trading - but I'm a bass player and needed an amp. It's a long story. But being a bass player with short stubby fingers, I liked the thin, wide neck. It's much nicer to play chords when all the notes aren't muted ....

You've inspired me - I think I'm going to build a non-functioning prototype out of old 2 x 4's, just for fun.

• Like 1