Indian Motorcycle Community

Pistol Storage At Calif. Border

Ok, more gun stuff. Just to recap my holster question a few months ago; I got a couple for Christmas I am experimenting with. And thank you again to the respondents.

Now, I have to plan a road trip to CAL for a wedding. Using the Lake Express ferry to dodge Illinois, I can go all the way across this great nation through CPL reciprocating States until I get to California. (Or possibly Nevada.) Obviously, I need to figure out how and where to store it when I get to an unfriendly State border. I have done some research and saw suggestions for checking it in with a local police station, or using a hotel deposit box. Anther suggested dropping it off at a gun shop for cleaning, but someone responded saying shops can only do that for guns licensed in their respective States.

Anyone have any proven, experience based suggestions?

Thanx in advance.

Where are you traveling in Kalifornistan?

• Like 1

There's an inspection station at the California border... they're looking for agricultural products though, so if you're on a bike you should be able to slide right through.

If you're not flashing your firearm around, the cops and the people around you will never know you have it.

• Like 2

Kens right, keep it with you but unloaded in a locked container , do not give it to local cops , do not let anyone you know you have it

• Like 2

Where are you traveling in Kalifornistan?

Taking 80 all the way to Napa, and likely 80 back to the Black Hills for a few days.

There's an inspection station at the California border... they're looking for agricultural products though, so if you're on a bike you should be able to slide right through.

If you're not flashing your firearm around, the cops and the people around you will never know you have it.

Good idea, especially wth the info TC provided.

Thank you for both posts! I need to look up the storage laws for the other Soviet States now. Never thought of it that way... Xlnt!

• Like 1

Surprised Brock hasn't chimed in yet...

Thanx muchly guys, y'all are the best! Great info - I never thought about locking it up while traveling through the Soviet States. And sorry if my question seems a little overkill, but as a life member of the NRA I do not want to become a negative statistic, or loose my property to an idiot cop who will vote for the Hildabeast.

BTW - I will be posting my adventures for this summer on the IIRA site in the hope that we can hook up for a quick beer if anyone is enroute and intersted/thirsty.

• Like 1

Surprised Brock hasn't chimed in yet...

Thanx muchly guys, y'all are the best! Great info - I never thought about locking it up while traveling through the Soviet States. And sorry if my question seems a little overkill, but as a life member of the NRA I do not want to become a negative statistic, or loose my property to an idiot cop who will vote for the Hildabeast.

BTW - I will be posting my adventures for this summer on the IIRA site in the hope that we can hook up for a quick beer if anyone is enroute and intersted/thirsty.

When are you going?

Push comes shove maybe you can leave it with Tahoe chief while your in Kalifornistan

• Like 1

Or you could do what I do, one in the hole & a full mag with the gun in a shoulder holster inside your jacket, if you need it, you don't have time to unlock a damn box or go into a saddlebag, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and if you don't bring any attention to yourself you won't be hassled.

That said I have also crossed the Country from the Pacific to the Atlantic a few time with only a couple automatic knives for personal protection, I try to mind my own business & be just another JQ Public & have never had issue one with anyone.

• Like 4

Yup, sure could, and I would by ya a beer when ya come by. :Cheers[1]:

Wow the kid scores , I told him I'd buy him a beer in Park City , two beers alone is worth the trip :)

• Like 1

Wow the kid scores , I told him I'd buy him a beer in Park City , two beers alone is worth the trip :)

Two beers with you and Tahoe is worth the trip.... If ya run into Hasbin.... Gonna take a case or two.... 😀

• Like 1

I-80 through Wyoming is a very dull ride - windy, flat and unremarkable for the most part.

I suggest that after leaving the Black Hills you shoot down I-25 and pick up I-70 going east. For an interstate, I-70 through the Rockies - especially the Glenwood Canyon area - is really beautiful. After Grand Junction and Green River UT, you get off the Interstate at Salina UT and pick up US-50. You can then ride across Utah and Nevada on the Loneliest Highway, and follow it right into Reno.

https://goo.gl/maps/5AW1wACkpKz

I-80 through Wyoming is a very dull ride - windy, flat and unremarkable for the most part.

I suggest that after leaving the Black Hills you shoot down I-25 and pick up I-70 going east. For an interstate, I-70 through the Rockies - especially the Glenwood Canyon area - is really beautiful. After Grand Junction and Green River UT, you get off the Interstate at Salina UT and pick up US-50. You can then ride across Utah and Nevada on the Loneliest Highway, and follow it right into Reno.

Yup, that is exactly what I wood do. And will one of these days.

• Like 1

Don't say Green River in the presence of Maldev, when we went to Colorado Springs to pick-up my Scout we rolled in there @ about 05:00 and the sky looked great, 15 minutes there was 6" of snow on the ground & we were headed down the hill with no chains & no snow tyres, I was having a blast drifting his brand new truck in the mess... shortly after we hit the Springs the radio reported that I-70 was closed so we headed South, and that was a another adventure unto itself!!!!

• Like 2

Yup, that is exactly what I wood do. And will one of these days.

My bike knows the way on it's own - I've been over that route ... I don't know how many times. Riding from Colorado out to visit my daughter and her family out in Cali, I go that way a couple times a year at least. One year I did it four times..

• Like 1

Don't say Green River in the presence of Maldev, when we went to Colorado Springs to pick-up my Scout we rolled in there @ about 05:00 and the sky looked great, 15 minutes there was 6" of snow on the ground & we were headed down the hill with no chains & no snow tyres, I was having a blast drifting his brand new truck in the mess... shortly after we hit the Springs the radio reported that I-70 was closed so we headed South, and that was a another adventure unto itself!!!!

Holy crap!! Ok.. we won't tell Maldev. Shhhh...

About 7 or 8 years ago I got the hair brained idea to ride I-70 out to California in March or April on my eGlide. Weather was great at home... and for most of the way along the highway..

However - right after going through the Eisenhower tunnel - there was a big flashing highway sign that read - "Icy conditions" this was on the down-slope down toward Frisco. An eGlide going down a steep hill with patchy ice... not a good thing. I kept the the tire paths of the cars and was ok.. then had to do the same thing over the next pass.

• Like 3

Holy crap!! Ok.. we won't tell Maldev. Shhhh...

About 7 or 8 years ago I got the hair brained idea to ride I-70 out to California in March or April on my eGlide. Weather was great at home... and for most of the way along the highway..

However - right after going through the Eisenhower tunnel - there was a big flashing highway sign that read - "Icy conditions" this was on the down-slope down toward Frisco. An eGlide going down a steep hill with patchy ice... not a good thing. I kept the the tire paths of the cars and was ok.. then had to do the same thing over the next pass.

Pucker factor of 18 on a 10 scale :nod:

• Like 2

Pucker factor of 18 on a 10 scale :nod:

Yup. Somehow or the other, even though I do my best to avoid it, I find myself in these situations from time to time.

• Like 2

Yup. Somehow or the other, even though I do my best to avoid it, I find myself in these situations from time to time.

It's a talent that we both have honed to perfection....

• Like 2

It's a talent that we both have honed to perfection....

In my case at least, this "talent" is otherwise known as stupidity.