Indian Motorcycle Community

Waterpatrol Officer Charged With

Since we are having a new ralley at the Lake in July, this bit of info just popped up.

About 1.5 years ago, a water patrol officer arrested a 20 year old for BWI. The young man put up no resistance and was very cordial as were his friends who actually helped him get in the waterpatrol boat.

The officer handcuffed the man with his hands behind his back. He did not put the life jacket on correctly, but just wrapped it around him like a shawl.

The officer took off hell bent for leather in extremely rough water, and the young man fell out - flew out and drowned.

For some strange reason the video camera on board wasn't loaded so no video of the incident. When it was investigated, the original prosecutor excused herself because the highway patrol had let her son off a drug charge.

An "investigation" found the officer not guilty. A special prosecutor was named and the officer was arrested for involuntary man slaughter. He posted the $50k bail today, and this story was all over the news as it has been a real political football between the state of Iowa and Missouri.

Here is the officers defense..."it wasn't my fault, I didn't have enough training to be a waterpatrol officer".

A lot more to follow.

i lived on a houseboat for 10 years ,at dusk i seen a ski boat upside down in the middle of the lake ,so i called the water patrol i was told to check it out and drag it to shore that she did not have the gas to launch again and come see , pathetic

Let me first say that I have LEO's in the family & have a few as friends.

That cop needs to be prosecuted to the fullest, once you are in his custody your life is his responsibility & this asshat failed.

• Like 3

Let me first say that I have LEO's in the family & have a few as friends.

That cop needs to be prosecuted to the fullest, once you are in his custody your life is his responsibility & this asshat failed.

And if he "..didn't have enough training..," who put him on a boat? Is there someone higher up that is equally responsible by way of putting an undertrained office in this situation? Wow!

This is a system failure that sheds light on the general lack of common sense nowadays.

Red Cross & Coast Guard provide water safety programs.

Every officer should be obliged to be certified as having completed a water safety instruction course.

Negligent homicides are easily prevented with training & every day attention to details :rock:

• Like 1

And if he "..didn't have enough training..," who put him on a boat? Is there someone higher up that is equally responsible by way of putting an undertrained office in this situation? Wow!

Under trained is one thing, but the lack of common sense is a poor trait for a LEO... Just sayin

• Like 2

Under trained is one thing, but the lack of common sense is a poor trait for a LEO... Just sayin

Agreed indeed!!

And can you imagine if this had been a white cop and a black victim...

• Like 2

I hope he don't skate because of lack of training, hell when my daughters were 5-6 years old they knew how to put on a ski vest & snap the latches, one would expect the same from a grown man.

It only takes a few morons to give the whole community a bad name :nod: