Indian Motorcycle Community

Gangster Grip - Vietnam Origins?

So I was watching some YouTube videos on pistols and ran across one where Jerry Miculek (an amazing marksman) and a friend were experimenting with the "gangsta" style pistol stance - holding a handgun sideways to shoot. As I watched the video I remembered hearing that this technique had origins in the Vietnam war, but the purpose was not for improving accuracy. The way I heard it, the technique was used when facing multiple charging forces. A right-handed shooter would hold his sidearm sideways and start with targets on his right, and let the recoil of the weapon carry it leftward. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Also, check out this, and other videos from Jerry;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r1jx1TOzxrE

Never hear that.

I heard it started with gangstas shooting from partially opened car windows.

• Like 1

Great way to shoot yourself in the face with an ejecting shell.

• Like 1

Never heard of that, don't mean it can't be true but shooting like them dumbass thugs ( gangsters were shiny suits, eat at a goomba restaurants and have gold pinky rings) anyway shooting sideways doesn't allow good sight and muzzle targeting

A hundred years ago it worked good for me, all the scumbags shits missed

• Like 1

Never heard that but what do you do if the bad guys are coming from the opposite direction of the weapons recoil.

I call bullshit....haha

• Like 1

So I was watching some YouTube videos on pistols and ran across one where Jerry Miculek (an amazing marksman) and a friend were experimenting with the "gangsta" style pistol stance - holding a handgun sideways to shoot. As I watched the video I remembered hearing that this technique had origins in the Vietnam war, but the purpose was not for improving accuracy. The way I heard it, the technique was used when facing multiple charging forces. A right-handed shooter would hold his sidearm sideways and start with targets on his right, and let the recoil of the weapon carry it leftward. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Also, check out this, and other videos from Jerry;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r1jx1TOzxrE

No.

• Like 1