Indian Motorcycle Community

Thank You Veterans

It must be said, "Thank you vets," and I guess I am up earlier than most, so there it is. Thank you, and God bless you.

Here is a funny story about my near-USMC career for your amusement;

My dad had served in the Air Force for five years in the 50's, though he never saw any combat. If he did, he never spoke of it. Years later dad has this long-haired, rock star wannabe, teenager with no direction or job that he has to support (yes, that's me). Dad talks to me about the advantages of joining the service. An example he made was that if I joined and got into some form of med duties, I would have college money, and upon graduating have experience to go with it, making me more employable. Make sense? Mind you, this was not a father and son counseling; it was a "get off your ass and do something" talk, lol.

Dad made sense, and the idea of honorably serving my country in ANY branch of the Military, so one morning I went to the recruiting station (early 1980's). All four branches had offices there, but of course, a USMC officer stood diligently nearest the door, hence, this is who I spoke with about my potential career move.

The officer asked me some general questions, then got to the concept of, "What would you like to do in the Corps?" Reflecting on my talk with dad I noted college money and experience, and used dad's example of "med corps." "Son, the Marines are in the business of killing, not healing," he quickly remarked with a slight tone of disgust, "We do not have a med corps." The conversation went down from there, and quickly ended, thus ending my military career. Medical training was just an example. If only I had said I'd like to fix tanks...

I look back on this with laughter (medical Marine, bahaha), and remorse. To be counted among you eludes me. So again, my sincere thanks to all of our vets, as well as my confession of a little jealousy. God Bless You, and God Bless America!

http://www.navysealfoundation.org

• Like 1

My Sincere THANK YOU to all of that served, you are what makes us proud. !!

patriot2.gif

• Like 1

Add my thanks to my family members who served, those serving, and those who have served all over the world.

• Like 1

Yep, thanks to all who served or are still serving. Although I enjoyed flying, 40 years and one day in the Army was enough for me........ :nod:

• Like 2

My Papa was a WWII Veteran serving in the Navy stationed on the ABDS-3 (portable floating dry-dock) in Guam in 1944-45.

First picture is him and his dog pre-war in Del Rio Tx on is 1935 Harley 74.

Second picture is the drydock about 1944 holding the Battleship Pennsylvania up out of the water for repairs.

Third picture is the ship's company picture with the Pennsylvania behind them. Papa is top row far left. He was an E-3 machinist.

Papa%20on%20Harley_zpscpidiwwy.jpg

ABSD-3.jpg

crew.jpg

Edited by twobit
  • Like 2

Yep, thanks to all who served or are still serving. Although I enjoyed flying, 40 years and one day in the Army was enough for me........ :nod:

40 years!!!! My hat is off to you. That's a long time for taking orders.

But if you are married I guess you know about taking orders. :D

Seriously, Thank You for your service. As well as everyone that has or are

presently serving.

• Like 2

It must be said, "Thank you vets," and I guess I am up earlier than most, so there it is. Thank you, and God bless you.

Here is a funny story about my near-USMC career for your amusement;

My dad had served in the Air Force for five years in the 50's, though he never saw any combat. If he did, he never spoke of it. Years later dad has this long-haired, rock star wannabe, teenager with no direction or job that he has to support (yes, that's me). Dad talks to me about the advantages of joining the service. An example he made was that if I joined and got into some form of med duties, I would have college money, and upon graduating have experience to go with it, making me more employable. Make sense? Mind you, this was not a father and son counseling; it was a "get off your ass and do something" talk, lol.

Dad made sense, and the idea of honorably serving my country in ANY branch of the Military, so one morning I went to the recruiting station (early 1980's). All four branches had offices there, but of course, a USMC officer stood diligently nearest the door, hence, this is who I spoke with about my potential career move.

The officer asked me some general questions, then got to the concept of, "What would you like to do in the Corps?" Reflecting on my talk with dad I noted college money and experience, and used dad's example of "med corps." "Son, the Marines are in the business of killing, not healing," he quickly remarked with a slight tone of disgust, "We do not have a med corps." The conversation went down from there, and quickly ended, thus ending my military career. Medical training was just an example. If only I had said I'd like to fix tanks...

I look back on this with laughter (medical Marine, bahaha), and remorse. To be counted among you eludes me. So again, my sincere thanks to all of our vets, as well as my confession of a little jealousy. God Bless You, and God Bless America!

http://www.navysealfoundation.org

Exactly how I ended up in the Marines instead of the Army, the very smartly dressed snap and pop Marine was at the door b-4 I could pull the handle on the Army door. Went something like this " If your going to serve, wouldn't you want to be the cream of the crop, the best of the best",,,yada,yada. I fell for it, and don't regret a moment. Semper Fi

• Like 1

FYI. Marine corpsmen are actually sailors attached to the Marines. One of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima was a Navy corpsman He should have sent you over to the Navy desk, but that was probably too much to ask.

• Like 1