Indian Motorcycle Community

Polaris Continues To Distance Themselves From Gilroy

Quote from Forbes magazine today....

*According to Indian chief designer Greg Brew, “A new Chief needed to bridge a 60-year gap in history and kick-start everyone’s memory about what was great about an Indian motorcycle.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markewing/2015/11/05/the-indian-chief-motorcycle-vintage-bike/

post-965-0-29497200-1446746230_thumb.jpg

Well Greg ,you can royally kiss my garlic smellin Gilroy ass , go hug your wal-mart

• Like 3

I think they want to distance themselves from the Gilroy and KM eras due to what they believe the public perception of those eras is.

First - there's a lot of people out there that don't even know that the Gilroy and KM bikes were even made.

Second - those that do know of the Gilroy era probably have a perception that those bikes broke down a lot, and the venture went bankrupt.

Third - very few people even know that the KM era even happened. People might know about the Gilroy era, but not about the KM's. Those that do know about the KM's will say they were over priced.

So rather than include history that might be a problem for them to explain, the new company would rather separate themselves from it. History is written by the winners - as they say. Polaris considers themselves to be the winner (and I think they are), so they'd prefer to erase parts of the brands history they are not comfortable with.

• Like 2

I wonder if they will rewrite their own history and remove Victory from it for same reasons...hahahahahhahaha

• Like 4

A few of us in here have met Greg Brew....he's a really cool dude...

I wish I didn't have to read that nonsense he's quoted as saying in Forbes magazine though...

HE forgets that us "Gilroy honks" take credit for him even being hired by Polaris.....he was a designer for BMW automobiles and apparently had something to do with the Bentley car design back in the day....

*If it wasn't for us labeling The Gilroy's as The Bentley's of the motorcycle World.......Polaris might not of brought him on board.

**that outa keep this thread alive for a bit....

maybe he's pissed cause we punk'ed him about the Victory he rode down.....

crosscountryoilspot_zps22fed269.jpg

Edited by harleynot
  • Like 1

You've got to love your Indian for your own reasons and not care what others say or think for that matter.

I have had a 2000 and a 2003 Chief, so I can understand why Polaris wants to distant themselves from such a bad reputation.

I'm a wrench but I like to ride more than I wrench, my 03 never let me do that even when I paid someone.

If you got a running Gilroy ride with pride and forget about it.

I do miss my 2000 but it does not come close to my Chieftain on any level.

Polaris bought the right to do whatever they want with Indian and so far they're doing pretty good IMHO

Although there is much room for improvement

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone from HD corp was ever heard bashing the AMF era bikes.

My problem with his statement is that 60 years ago, Indian was in the hands of the English. The 1950s was the decline of Indian. He should know his history better than this.

• Like 5

Well the way I look at it is: It's kind of like a guy who gets a gal pregnant on a one nighter............... You can deny, deny and deny...............But the kid is proof it happened.............

• Like 4

Lots of really good comments in this thread, too many to quote. Ken's and Maldev's are favorites.

Reposting my comments from another site on this subject;

I have mixed feelings about this. I love the look of a Gilroy, and suggested in my survey that Polaris should embrace ALL eras of the bike if they want to own the name; a patriotic business ethic if you will. And doing so would make the brand even stronger in my opinion.

When Polaris designed the new Indians I feel they did a good job recreating the original look of the engine where Gilroy (and the KMs?) failed. Again, I love the Gilroy look, but the engine does lack the iconic, original look, primarily regarding the downward exhaust manifold. This is most likely what Brew was referring to.

Still, commentary like what harleynot quoted does not sit well with INDIAN fans because it neglects older versions that Polaris is obviously ignoring. It really sucks that the brand owner is not servicing all eras of the entire brand. Worse yet, all Brew needed to do was to voice some kind of respectful comment about the Gilroys and KMs. Sheesh! I know better than that. Give me his job and I'll make sure the company takes care of everyone who owns an Indian, and at least be more tactful in my comments to major media.

• Like 2

Lots of really good comments in this thread, too many to quote. Ken's and Maldev's are favorites.

Reposting my comments from another site on this subject;

I have mixed feelings about this. I love the look of a Gilroy, and suggested in my survey that Polaris should embrace ALL eras of the bike if they want to own the name; a patriotic business ethic if you will. And doing so would make the brand even stronger in my opinion.

When Polaris designed the new Indians I feel they did a good job recreating the original look of the engine where Gilroy (and the KMs?) failed. Again, I love the Gilroy look, but the engine does lack the iconic, original look, primarily regarding the downward exhaust manifold. This is most likely what Brew was referring to.

Still, commentary like what harleynot quoted does not sit well with INDIAN fans because it neglects older versions that Polaris is obviously ignoring. It really sucks that the brand owner is not servicing all eras of the entire brand. Worse yet, all Brew needed to do was to voice some kind of respectful comment about the Gilroys and KMs. Sheesh! I know better than that. Give me his job and I'll make sure the company takes care of everyone who owns an Indian, and at least be more tactful in my comments to major media.

.... Gilroy did not copy an old style but developed his own look (an engine) and it is iconic in his own rights ,,,,, Polaris did a "copy" but it looks like the job is not finished with the engine ,,,,

• Like 5

OK will somebody please explain to a newby what "garlic" refers to in relation to the Gilroy bikes? I'm slowly learning the history of Indian. I really respect that the beginnings started in 1901 and with a few bumps and hurdles along the way that "Indian" has survived. To me that is a proud heritage I do agree that Polaris needs to respect ALL the Indians all the way back to 1901.

OH by the way Polaris...send me my damn welcome kit. It has been 14 weeks and I've already talked to you about it once. That is the only fly in the ointment at this time because our new Vintage Chief is A+ .....but I want my damn welcome kit!!!

Gilroy, CA - Garlic capital of the world. Gilroy and garlic go together. Roadside stands featuring garlic products are all over the Gilroy area.

• Like 5

Hmm....couldn't get the article to come up. Anyway, let's see......60 years since 1953 would be 2013. OK, never mind.....I got everything I need to know.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, folks don't refer to Indian Motorcycle as CMC or Stellican, when comparing to Polaris. Shouldn't it be to compare CMC to Stellican to Polaris? Maybe compare Gilroy to Kings Mountain to Spirit Lake? Nothing like arguing for the sake of arguing. :ooh2:

This isn't surprising, and this selective memory and revisionist history has been adopted by some dealers as well.

Some dealers can't distance themselves fast enough from Gilroy bikes; others are more knowledgeable about the Gilroy era bikes and know the entire Indian history.

Not to stir the pot . . . but to stir the pot - regardless of the quality issues associated with the Gilroy bikes, if it weren't for the Gilroy era, there may never have been a Polaris/Spirit Lake/Indian era.

Who knows - maybe in time Polaris will forget why they built their new painting facility.

Just my 2¢.

• Like 4

All you have to do is tell the truth. It's easy. I don't know if they are lying or just ignorant. Brew is lying. He knows better. He also knows he didn't design the Chief alone. Or near alone..... In fact he wanted to go in an entirely different direction. I hear...

Gilroy, CA - Garlic capital of the world. Gilroy and garlic go together. Roadside stands featuring garlic products are all over the Gilroy area.

Thank you. Some us us Texans don't know much about California except to stay away from there :oh:

• Like 2

Yeah, what I hear on the grapevine is Brew and team wanted an entirely different and modern looking engine design, a new and entirely modern looking bike design.......and was shocked when some on his design team revolted and said the original ideas were ugly as shit and there better not be a Victory engine or Ness influence involved. So I hear...

All we need to do is keep the Gilroy's running and on the road..

That way Polaris will never be able to deny Gilroy Indian Motorcycle ever existed..

I had another one of those silly comments from a guy looking at my bike, saying that's probably the nicest Indian he's ever saw..

Said he was shopping for a new HD, I told him to take a ride down to Hollister to check out the new Indian's, said he was on his way..

Your welcome Polaris..

"All we need to do is keep the Gilroy's running and on the road..

That way Polaris will never be able to deny Gilroy Indian Motorcycle ever existed.."

I had another one of those silly comments from a guy looking at my bike, saying that's probably the nicest Indian he's ever saw..

Said he was shopping for a new HD, I told him to take a ride down to Hollister to check out the new Indian's, said he was on his way..

Your welcome Polaris..

The Amish do the same with the horse and buggy, we have not forgotten. :rasp:

• Like 1

Yeah, what I hear on the grapevine is Brew and team wanted an entirely different and modern looking engine design, a new and entirely modern looking bike design.......and was shocked when some on his design team revolted and said the original ideas were ugly as shit and there better not be a Victory engine or Ness influence involved. So I hear...

They ended up using that design for the Vision, didn't they?

OK will somebody please explain to a newby what "garlic" refers to in relation to the Gilroy bikes? I'm slowly learning the history of Indian. I really respect that the beginnings started in 1901 and with a few bumps and hurdles along the way that "Indian" has survived. To me that is a proud heritage I do agree that Polaris needs to respect ALL the Indians all the way back to 1901.

OH by the way Polaris...send me my damn welcome kit. It has been 14 weeks and I've already talked to you about it once. That is the only fly in the ointment at this time because our new Vintage Chief is A+ .....but I want my damn welcome kit!!!

Hey Bro,

If no one answered yet, the Gilroy's were Canadian owned but manufactured in Gilroy California which is the "garlic capital of the world." Someone please check my work, I am learning too.

Got my RM in April. Welcome kit came mid-late July. Be patient, and do not blame the Post Office, lol...

Hey Bro,

If no one answered yet, the Gilroy's were Canadian owned but manufactured in Gilroy California which is the "garlic capital of the world." Someone please check my work, I am learning too.

Got my RM in April. Welcome kit came mid-late July. Be patient, and do not blame the Post Office, lol...

Well it's a bit more complicated than Canadian, there was a bankruptcy court, an old guy who technically was the last Indian dealer in existence, he filed tax returns as Indian dealer, CMC, and some other venture capital companies and lets not forget Ray............... Actually the Canadians were clothing manufactures..............Fuck the story is too long to tell................ all be it was an interesting one.............

• Like 1

Well it's a bit more complicated than Canadian, there was a bankruptcy court, an old guy who technically was the last Indian dealer in existence, he filed tax returns as Indian dealer, CMC, and some other venture capital companies and lets not forget Ray............... Actually the Canadians were clothing manufactures..............Fuck the story is too long to tell................ all be it was an interesting one.............

Lol, and then there's Phil... And yes, an interesting, even mind-boggling history.

• Like 2