Indian Motorcycle Community

Stranded In St Paul

Engine started cutting out yesterday. Want bad, just every once in a while. Left Duluth this morning. Cutting out got worse. It's not constant but seems to come on in waves. Bad enough that I'll be stopping at the St Paul dealer.

On my way there big thunderstorm hit. I'm stopped at a Mc Donnalds waiting for the storm.

Next long trip I'm taking my truck.

• Like 5

Hey I buy Indian items on ebay from Twin City Indian in St.Paul. If that is where you are going, talk to Linda. I had to email her about missing a small screw from an ebay purchase and she went above and beyond to make it right.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the troubles your running into Ken. Good Luck while in St. Paul! Hope all goes well for you. While there introduce yourself to the owner, then he'll be able to tell you how great he is!!

• Like 4

Gary: Ken's an IIRA member and good shit. I've rode with him. Can you, Zit or others in NW chapter offer a hand. Too far for me. He isn't married to St. Paul dealer. Take him to yours.

Edited by PPScoutrider
  • Like 4

It was a hell of a day.

Opened my drapes at my motel this morning and it was POURING rain.. It's been sunny for the last few days. Damn.

Then after I wait until the storm passes - lost almost 2 hours - I get out on the road and my bike starts sputtering really badly. This actually started the previous day, but the stumbling was so slight are rare that I thought it was my imagination. Nope. The bike would sputter, like the engine was kicking off, then go back on. This would happen in waves, where it would sputter really bad for a few miles, then suddenly it would run fine. I thought about the battery cables, but the lights and instrumentation was operating fine, the problem seemed to be with just the engine. Well crap.

Fortunately we have the luxury of dealers these days - so at a gas stop I called the St. Paul dealer to let them know what was happening and that I was on my way in. Then I got back on the road. The rain had died down by then so I though I was in the clear.. nope - that was a wrong assumption. As I got into St. Paul the skies just opened up... it was pouring.. so bad I had my emergency flashers on so people could see me. Finally it got so bad that I pulled off and found a McDonnalds. The parking lot had at least 2 inches of running water. Got parked, went in, had coffee.

Rain cleared up so I finished my ride into St. Paul. Got to the dealer and met up with Dusty and Joe. They treated me well, and Joe started work on the bike. He found a crimped throttle position wire from the PCV that he thought might cause trouble. Then he checked the battery and found a loose connection on the negative battery terminal. VCM was fine and he also looked at the error codes. Seemed to me that the problem was probably the negative battery terminal.

Rain had moved in while I waited, so after my bike was finished Joe pulled it around front and I waited at the dealer for the weather to clear up. Finally at about 4:30 I decided that the weather was as good as it was going to get so I headed out.

I got on the freeway and the bike was purring right along - everything seemed great. Wrong again. A guy in a car pulled up beside me and yelled out the window that my saddle bag had fallen off. Holy crap.

I circled back 6 or 7 exits before the guy yelled at me but didn't find my bag. Well sonofabitch. Fortunately nothing expensive or really necessary was in the bag.. but still fuck - replacing it will be expensive.

When I stopped for gas I called the St. Paul dealer and talked to Dusty. He said they did not remove the bags, so I'm just out of luck. After the call I checked my remaining bag and noticed that whoever closed the bag also used the snaps to secure the lid. This is something I never do - I just connect the clips and call it good, so I believe they did take the bags off.

Well anyway I rode further, not anywhere near as far as I intended to ride today, but it was getting dark. So I found a hotel and here I am.

Hell of a day, eh?

• Like 1

That sucks , but you're safe and okay other than the stated pains in the ass

Ride safe

A couple of Nordlocks, a 10mm wrench and a saddlebag later ~ all better.

Maybe next time show the machine a little mercy & stop to tighten up the batt cables?

• Like 1

damn Ken...sucks about the saddlebag. Cant trust anyone anymore to do things right or to own up when they fuck up.

• Like 1

damn Ken...sucks about the saddlebag. Cant trust anyone anymore to do things right or to own up when they fuck up.

No shit. Spose I guy should make and follow through with a checklist of things to look at after anyone else works on bike, but before riding it. Shouldn't have to tho.

• Like 2

It was a hell of a day.

Opened my drapes at my motel this morning and it was POURING rain.. It's been sunny for the last few days. Damn.

Then after I wait until the storm passes - lost almost 2 hours - I get out on the road and my bike starts sputtering really badly. This actually started the previous day, but the stumbling was so slight are rare that I thought it was my imagination. Nope. The bike would sputter, like the engine was kicking off, then go back on. This would happen in waves, where it would sputter really bad for a few miles, then suddenly it would run fine. I thought about the battery cables, but the lights and instrumentation was operating fine, the problem seemed to be with just the engine. Well crap.

Fortunately we have the luxury of dealers these days - so at a gas stop I called the St. Paul dealer to let them know what was happening and that I was on my way in. Then I got back on the road. The rain had died down by then so I though I was in the clear.. nope - that was a wrong assumption. As I got into St. Paul the skies just opened up... it was pouring.. so bad I had my emergency flashers on so people could see me. Finally it got so bad that I pulled off and found a McDonnalds. The parking lot had at least 2 inches of running water. Got parked, went in, had coffee.

Rain cleared up so I finished my ride into St. Paul. Got to the dealer and met up with Dusty and Joe. They treated me well, and Joe started work on the bike. He found a crimped throttle position wire from the PCV that he thought might cause trouble. Then he checked the battery and found a loose connection on the negative battery terminal. VCM was fine and he also looked at the error codes. Seemed to me that the problem was probably the negative battery terminal.

Rain had moved in while I waited, so after my bike was finished Joe pulled it around front and I waited at the dealer for the weather to clear up. Finally at about 4:30 I decided that the weather was as good as it was going to get so I headed out.

I got on the freeway and the bike was purring right along - everything seemed great. Wrong again. A guy in a car pulled up beside me and yelled out the window that my saddle bag had fallen off. Holy crap.

I circled back 6 or 7 exits before the guy yelled at me but didn't find my bag. Well sonofabitch. Fortunately nothing expensive or really necessary was in the bag.. but still fuck - replacing it will be expensive.

When I stopped for gas I called the St. Paul dealer and talked to Dusty. He said they did not remove the bags, so I'm just out of luck. After the call I checked my remaining bag and noticed that whoever closed the bag also used the snaps to secure the lid. This is something I never do - I just connect the clips and call it good, so I believe they did take the bags off.

Well anyway I rode further, not anywhere near as far as I intended to ride today, but it was getting dark. So I found a hotel and here I am.

Hell of a day, eh?

WTF ! I would push the issue on the bag. You rode how long and far b-4 they had to mess with your bike ? I would really be pushing, at the least come to an agreement of cost.

WTF ! I would push the issue on the bag. You rode how long and far b-4 they had to mess with your bike ? I would really be pushing, at the least come to an agreement of cost.

Yep... Agree... Should be pushed. But it's tough when you aren't local to the shop....

• Like 2

Been stuck in a gas station or cafe' outside of Minneapolis more than once waiting for a thunderstorm to clear, so I commiserate. Too bad about the saddlebag. Over the years(actually, it took about a month), I developed what I considered to be a healthy mistrust of motorcycle mechanics. To the extent that I would insist on watching everything they did to my bike. Just had too many issues with new problems popping up as soon as I left the bike shop. Your bag falling off may be your bike trying to warn you. Do yourself a favor and put a 10mm wrench in the one saddlebag that you have left.

Made it home to Colorado. Beyond the lost bag, everything done by the St. Paul dealer was fine. Bike ran fine all the way home.

I'll be ripping the PCV out of the bike in the next few weeks and will be going with the Indian download instead. I've reached my limit of problems with it, so it has to go. I'll probably write some warning reviews on J&P and Dennis Kirk to warn others not to make the mistake I did.

• Like 2

Ken, Sorry to hear about the problems you have had. I took a job recently and have not been on line as much, Had I known you were coming through town, I would have bought you a meal. Had I known you were having issues....

• Like 1

Ken, Sorry to hear about the problems you have had. I took a job recently and have not been on line as much, Had I known you were coming through town, I would have bought you a meal. Had I known you were having issues....

..you would have run like hell LOL

I was born with issues.

• Like 4

Made it home to Colorado. Beyond the lost bag, everything done by the St. Paul dealer was fine. Bike ran fine all the way home.

I'll be ripping the PCV out of the bike in the next few weeks and will be going with the Indian download instead. I've reached my limit of problems with it, so it has to go. I'll probably write some warning reviews on J&P and Dennis Kirk to warn others not to make the mistake I did.

yeah but that is like saying your operation and visit with the surgeon went well other than them forgetting to remove their forceps out of your abdomen during the appendix removal and it caused internal bleeding and additional trauma to location....but the other work they did was perfect!!!!

LMMFAO

• Like 2

Ken...as much as you ride you need to clean your pockets out...you have some bad luck in there