Indian Motorcycle Community

Which Holster? Cpl/ccw

My carry permit should be arriving soon, so I guess I should pick out a holster. A shoulder holster is the obvious choice if I wanna pack my 92FS (profile pic) but what about my Taurus PT709 (pocket pistol)? Ankle holsters I consider for a secondary, so that's out for now. Belt clips are cool, but at my age my pants keep shrinking. This kinda leaves me with a tiny shoulder holster, one that fits in my vest pocket (what if I am in a t-shirt?). Any experienced advice? Please PM me if you do not want to respond publicaly.

Thanx

Shoulder holsters are good for movies. although they are okay when riding a horse

Ankle holsters for back up

A good belt holster is a good thing. Check out "Galco"

Cheyenne Outfitters make excellent leather vests with concealed carry built in.

Just my view from the saddle

• Like 1

Shoulder holsters are good for movies. although they are okay when riding a horse

Ankle holsters for back up

A good belt holster is a good thing. Check out "Galco"

Cheyenne Outfitters make excellent leather vests with concealed carry built in.

Just my view from the saddle

http://www.galcogunleather.com

• Like 1

Milt Sparks...horse leather versa max ll. you forget you're wearing it and most people don't see it. I carry G30s and g19's with it.

• Like 1

Go to a site called Simply Rugged . Com. Rob makes excellent pancake holsters. I've probably got half a dozen of his holsters. www.simplyrugged.com

Edited by twobit
  • Like 1

You may go through several different concealed carry holsters before you find the right one.

I haven't found a practical/functional one that fits me right, but I have only tried a few.

The handguns that I have may be part of the issue concerning holsters, though.

• Like 1

I agree. It seems like I keep buying a new one every month. Local stores don't have a good selection either. I did try the ankle one, pants aren't baggy enough. I am going to try sneakypete.com next. I usually wear a shirt tucked in.

You may go through several different concealed carry holsters before you find the right one.

I haven't found a practical/functional one that fits me right, but I have only tried a few.

The handguns that I have may be part of the issue concerning holsters, though.

• Like 1

Holsters are very individual for each person...and many start building a collection of holsters as they jump from one to another looking for the ultimate in comfort, concealment, retention, durability based on our dress, body shape, activities,e tc. I am no exception and have carried for many years...

Shoulder Holster- wore one quite a bit in military and still do occasionaly when riding as it keeps weapon secure and covered under jacket. I am also a fan if you spend a significant amount of time driving behind the wheel of a car or truck and storing your loaded weapon in an unlocked center console or stash holster under dash is NOT authorized. I prefer muzzle down on these for most instances so I am not sweeping anyone around me when holstering or at least reducing that act considerably. Also the vertical versions are more concealable...especially under light clothing. If you get one...get a good one...a DeSantis New York Undercover, a Galco Miami Classic, or one of the Mitch Rosen styles. On my motorcycle I prefer the shoulder setup unless you have a leather jacket that has a built in holster inside the front where a map pocket is usually found or has a pocket large enough otherwise. A waist carried holster is not optimum as most of mine are open tops with no retention strap and last thing I want is a SIG sliding down I-26 at 70mph. Also with the propensity for wind to ride your light shirts up or to ride up from bending over bars....more apt to be seen by motorists. So either keep it in saddlebags...or in shoulder holster is what I found...and would rather have it ON ME than have to get to my bags to retrieve if needed on road trip, at rest stop or elsewhere. Just my 2 cents after riding with one for years.

Ankle Holster- Not a fan....unless you really need a deep cover weapon capability or a tertiary backup due to your line of work....I would stay away from them. All that I have tried were either uncomfortable, impractical or hard to actually reach your weapon unless kneeling or on your back in defensive position. I would recommend staying away especially as a NEW CCW person. My opinion it takes a real need and lots of practice to make it practical and safe. The top builders are on this list but such a specific need you really need to go try them on and see how they fit and feel on your own...not one you can take a recommendation from someone else in my opinion. Galco Ankle Glove is only one I would consider at this time for long term comfort and that will stay where you put it without riding down or twisting on leg.

OWB- Outside waistband holsters are likely MOST COMFORTABLE but if not in a OPEN CARRY situation or job....harder to conceal. I still wear one when going to range, working on propery, or during winter when a jacket will cover it sufficiently. I have a Dillon and another brand....great holsters but only wear them when out working on property for most part or going to shoot at range and not practicing drawing concealed. I have a DILLON (Dillon Supply) and a Mitch Rosen....love them both.

IWB- Inside Waistband Holsters are most popular for concealed carry but are some considerations. Your pants need to be a couple inches larger than normal or have ability to stretch. You will need a solid purpose made gunbelt (dont scrimp here) to support your pants and your weapon and to keep it secure. I have one in black and also one in brown....and a third in black as my working or dirty work wear belt. I have Milt Sparks, Dillon, R Grizz, Remora, Crossbreed, and few others. I find that I typically carry my weapon for general use in console and around house in a REMORA. Protects weapon, soft, light and external texture makes it very secure if you need to slip it in waistband to run into Home Depot or Publix or to dinner out with spouse. A good versatile choice but not most secure or concealable. For concealed carry that is hitting on all cylinders I choose the CrossBreed....yes it looks huge...yes there is a lot of leather...but that thing is so comfortable especially after wearing a couple days and your leather molds to your body contours and you find the sweet spot to attach it to your belt. I usually go to a 3:30 or 4 position for best comfort vs concealment especially if driving first and then walking afterward. The leather protects your body from edges of weapon and protects weapon from sweat if warm weather....best of the best. My R Grizz is also very comfortable...not as much as CrossBreed but better. The Milt SPark Versa Max 2 is a great holster...but after getting CrossBreed I stopped wearing it and is nearly brand new. So if anyone needs a Milt Sparks for a SIG Semi Auto and dont want to wait 3-4 months...let me know. LOL

SOB- Small of Back holsters have fans and fiends both. They are easily concealable, secure, and work well in light clothing...they are uncomfortable if sitting or driving as in small of back or over kidneys usually for placement...and there is fear if you fall on back hard enough it could crush or crack your lower back/spine. I use mine on limited basis..usually when in shorts and a lightweight more form fitting shirt and I will be walking a lot and I want to carry my SIG P220 or P226 instead of the smaller P239 for whatever reason. I have a discontinued Galco SOB....that sits more vertical with a quick clip and allows my hand to go between back and grip to draw with palm out in more natural position. The current Galco and most others as well....are set for palm in draw. Galco and DeSantis are the ones I have liked best.

Appendix Carry- THis is very comfortable for driving and good for crowded situations on public transport, parties, crowded streets, etc. Easier to shield the weapon with arm or item you are carrying to prevent someone from feeling it if they are hugging you for a greeting or if tight quarters where personal space is not possible. Also easier to defend against someone coming behind you. There are areas that need addressing...If you DO NOT have good safety skills to always keep finger off trigger if not shooting...then not for you...as finger on trigger on some weapons while holstering could cause discharge and that is going to point it at your femoral artery...not a good thing. Great position but maybe for more experienced gun owners that have ingrained not sweeping their own bodies with muzzle as much as possible and finger staying alongside weapon and never in trigger guard. Galco Stow and Go or the CrossBreed Appendix Carry variant.

Pocket Carry- if you have a mini or micro pistol that will fit...it is a good choice in loose fitting pants with deep pockets. If you drink latte coffee and wear skinny jeans while riding your Polaris Slingshot then dont get this. If you do then make sure your weapon is modified or built for pocket carry...usually all corners are rounded and the hammer is removed completely or shaved significantly so nothing will HANG UP on the draw inside pocket. Also get a quality holster that is able to grip or hang in pocket to keep it in place in event you need to draw. To me this is only option if going shirtless or wearing shirts that are more form fitting but you have cargo pockets or loose fitting shorts. Not that it is not a good concealed option...but that the weapons that fit and conceal properly are very small...and unless you have hands like a midget...are harder to control and shoot accurately when needed. Better than not carrying a weapon but not optimum in my personal experience. Better than ankle....better than small of back. Be sure the holster completely covers the trigger area and does not allow pocket lint into action or cylinder area over extended periods that could hinder reliability of weapon when needed. Galco Front Pocket or a Remora pocket holster.

There are a host of others.....but for my needs...casual carry, carry around town day or night, or carrying with shirt tucked in with sport coat ......the CrossBreed Holster is my favorite after 30+ years of weapon carry. No matter if it is a full size .45, 9mm....or my smaller .40 or .357SIG calibers.

For driving on trips...the Mitch Rosen CounterCarJacking rig is my fav....keep it in car and when I am heading out I switch from current holster to it so that it is accessible with seatbelt on in seated position without requiring me to turn or lean over to retrieve weapon.

If anyone has a SIG P220, P226 or P239 and needs a holster...check with me first as I might be willing to get rid of a couple of mine like the RGrizz (P239) or Milt Sparks (P220/P226)

Prices are going to vary...depending on manufacturer. Blackhawk bought Uncle Mikes so their lines have combined....usually lower price point with heavy use of Kydex...functional but comfort may lack...will need to try them out. Would not consider for true long term concealed carry for comfort and effectiveness...but your results may vary.

Galco is one of the best all around...they have some imitation holsters from more expensive custom leathersmiths...but offer a great value for the money.

Top Tier for me is Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, DeSantis....there are other smaller holster shops that do great work as well...but these guys are tried and true...and if it does not work out the holster will garner top dollar on secondary market to someone else based on reputation alone.

R Grizzle Leather is one of the small shops....I was introduced to this work from an attorney that carried concealed at work in Texas...required a tuck capability for holster and he loved this holster for his SIG P239. I bought his weapon and he included the holster for me with both sets of anchors. Great little holster and one I might keep in vehicle console for times I need it or in saddlebags of bike. Check him out.

Also forgoe the tactical vest....everyone knows you are either photographer or carrying. There are some non-descript attache bags, shoulder bags, purses for your wife if she is licensed...but my favorite NON HOLSTER CARRY is in cooler months. There is a jacket that looks exactly like a Carhart brand...and has built in holsters on both left and front chest areas that seal with velcro...and fits my environment in cool months perfectly whether walking around, working, going to dinner, or driving.....mine is a SIG SAUER jacket but not sure if offered any more.

Anyhow...here is the world according to me from my own experience carrying often in military and now as civilian for past 11 years.

As for weapons I have carried ....... Beretta 92, SIG P226, SIG P220, SIG P239, Springfield XD, SW Airlight, Ruger P85. I have been able to conceal all of them effectively..some easier than others as long as you have good holster, solidly built belt, and dress accordingly for body shape and weather. Typically my SIG P239 is every day carry with P220 and P226 during cooler months or out at property...unless on motorcycle and then it is the big boys with spare magazines in shoulder rig.

Edited by Brock
  • Like 4

Wow! Thank you all. Lots of manufacturers to research now.

Pray I never lose it, and never have to use it.

• Like 1

My carry permit should be arriving soon, so I guess I should pick out a holster. A shoulder holster is the obvious choice if I wanna pack my 92FS (profile pic) but what about my Taurus PT709 (pocket pistol)? Ankle holsters I consider for a secondary, so that's out for now. Belt clips are cool, but at my age my pants keep shrinking. This kinda leaves me with a tiny shoulder holster, one that fits in my vest pocket (what if I am in a t-shirt?). Any experienced advice? Please PM me if you do not want to respond publicaly.

Thanx

I carry an XDM .45 full size (Winter gun) and XDM .45 compact (Summer gun) looking at getting the XDS .45 for pocket carry. One pistol really does not fit all occasions or levels of dress.

I use a shoulder holster (for the XDM .45 full size) from http://www.armoryexpressoutlet.com/HOLSTERS-CUSTOM_c_57.html when I ride as it is easy to carry concealed with a jacket (Watch the video to see a comparison of a custom built rig vs commercially available rig). I actually wore it once (open carry) over a long sleeve T-shirt riding from Vegas to Sedona as both are open carry states. No issues with open carry in NV or AZ, rode by several highway patrol and local PD, in both states with no issues.

I use an Aliengear http://aliengearholsters.com/ for CCW - Keep in mind that you will want to buy a quality leather belt (again see armoryexpressoutlett) and you will want to buy pants a waist size larger than you normally wear, i.e. 34" waist buy 36" waist as the gun will fit between you and your pants. For the price you cant beat this holster.

I also have a http://www.n82tactical.com/comfort-zone but honestly I don't like it and prefer my Aliengear over this one.

I also have an appendix carry http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/ProductViewer/tabid/113/slug/Appendix-Carry/Default.aspx for my XDM .45 compact, not very comfortable when sitting, and like any IWB holster get your pants one size bigger and don't forget a quality leather belt. I like this holster but you will need to wear a t-shirt as it's not very comfortable against your skin.

I actually drove through the state of NV last month in the car and open carried my full size XDM .45 everywhere with out issue, Wal-Mart, gas stations, truck stops, grocery stores, national parks, etc. no issues. got some stares but no one said anything good or bad. Again several LEO saw me, none batted an eye, and yes the gun was plainly visible and obvious. I am pretty new to open carry and it is actually less restrictive than CCW and I really just wanted to see how things would go if openly carried my pistol on my side.

Anyway, good luck with your holster quest. The biggest problem is you might be able to try the holster on in a store, but until you wear it daily with your pistol you wont know if you like it or dis-like it, and it can get expensive trying to find something that suits your comfort and needs.

Edited by Satdiver
  • Like 2

True words....until you wear it every day you wont find that sweet spot or determine if it is a great combo or a bust and then keep looking.

Damn,

Almost forgot you should seriously consider CCW Insurance. Various companies out there that offer it. I have http://ccwsafe.com/ and I would also recommend a subscription to https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ lots of good information in each issue.

And by all means watch and learn from a lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k-1Cnb3ZJ0

in the event you use your firearm, right or wrong, you will need a lawyer. Even if your shooting is justified and you avoid federal / state charges you can still get hit with a civil lawsuit from the dead dudes family. Just my 2 cents worth of information.

Edited by Satdiver
  • Like 2

my opinion is not gospel...just an opinion. others here have as much or MORE carry time than myself. just wanted to give options....

Damn,

Almost forgot you should seriously consider CCW Insurance. Various companies out there that offer it. I have http://ccwsafe.com/ and I would also recommend a subscription to https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ lots of good information in each issue.

And by all means watch and learn from a lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

in the event you use your firearm, right or wrong, you will need a lawyer. Even if your shooting is justified and you avoid federal / state charges you can still get hit with a civil lawsuit from the dead dudes family. Just my 2 cents worth of information.

Good stuff! Will check out those links!

Additionally, if in such a situation; The ONLY response to the responding officer is; "I have no comment before speaking with my attorney." This is ultra important! Do not assume you are slick enough to speak after shooting another human being. The consequences of a mis-made comment could be (held against you in court) devastating.

I also understand it is very important when, if you are the one to call the police after an incident that you request an ambulance, thus circumventing later accusations of malice.

Carrying a firearm is not comfortable....carrying a firearm is comforting. Good holsters and good belts are mandatory.

Get trained, Go armed.

My firearms training started when I was five. Now I am 55 and the training never stops. 50 years of hunting and shooting. 30+ years of daily carry.

• Like 1