Indian Motorcycle Community

Once A Gas Tank Issue, Always A Issue.....

I had a 1998 CMC 88". When I received this there was never a consistent time or fuel level when bike went to 'reserve'. And it seemed I was never able to scavenge all the gas after going to reserve. I , (as I had made a warrant claim ), replaced the fuel petcock (pingle) via Indian, as they had now purchased CMC. Now, 3 Harleys later, I bought a new Indian. 5.5 gal tank....low fuel indicator isn't @ all consistent either as to how much fuel is remaining. IE. there will be anywhere between 3.6 and 4.2 gal. to fill up. So.....yesterday I ran out of gas.....put a gallon in and 5 miles later filled 'er up. took 4 gallons. I still have the impression I am not able to scavenge 'down to the fumes'. But.....once the indicator goes below the O in the fuel gauge, this unit runs out of gas. I 'spect they may be between .7 & 1.0 gallon of gas unusable. @ 130 mi., the CMC needed gas & 140 mi. my new RM with trike conver, is about to run out.

Not whining. It just brings back a memory of my having the SAME issue with the SAME manufacturer 13 yrs later... so I am grinnin'

Glad you are happy with your wheels, Jed.

The electrical fuel pump needs a bit of gas to act as a coolant for it's innards don't burn up I reckon.

Watch for ruts on those mountain roads that wanna lead you over the edge.

Best Regards, Doc

Did you say over the edge? Ya there are some on here that are over the edge. :ooh2:

Yours came with a RUT???

Didn't notice a rut...came bored & stroked with social restrictors in the pipes though.

http://www.hillbillystills.com/

makem own spirits

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99