Indian Motorcycle Community

So, How Was Your Weekend?

With minimal motorcycle related contact, and not all that interesting, here is a brief summary of my weekend.

So my girlfriend was stuck in NYC with her Kid, just had oral surgery so I stayed on Long Island Saturday to catch up around the house. Nothing remarkable, just minor home repairs, wax my SUV, and change the clutch cable on my Vintage. The gasket ripped so know I am waiting for my local shop to order a new one. So during the day I took a couple hours off to go mountain biking. Cool and quiet in the woods, just perfect. So I was doing a fast decent I have done 100 times and it seems my pedal caught something sticking out the ground. This caused the bike to spin hard to the left throwing me off said bike square into a tree. Fortunately the tree was about 2" in dia and dead. So I cracked the tree and half and rolled about 10 ft down the hill. Got up, shook the leaves and sticks out my shirt and continued the ride without further incident. I drove into NYC that night to see my girl, she gave me a ton of shit about the giant red mark and scratches on my back and how at my age I shouldn't be doing these dangerous sports.

Sunday it was windy, the Marine forecast was 15-20 kts. WINDSURFING! Packed up the trailer and hit the beach. Made my very un-scientific wind assessment and chose a large, (7.5sq meters) but not giant sail. If I am not on full plane it is not worth it, so I need the power. Started out a great day, right in the power band, fully powered up, jumping over the 1-2 ft swells, cranking! Later the wind picked up, gusting to at least 25kts, so now when I hit the wind line I am way overpowered, meaning I cannot get the sail into the proper position so the board is unstable and holding on feels like you hooked into a the bumper of a tractor. Further when overpowered the board will start to lift out of the water and ride on the fin. When the board "tail walks" it is a wild ride, uncontrollable and all over the place, like hitting ice on a bike. I should have down-rigged to a smaller sail, but that is a 45 min ordeal I was not going to do ( stupid) So I was sailing for about an hour like this, getting tired but having a wild time. I AM the fastest guy on bay! Later I took a bad fall, no biggie but instead of falling forward or to the side, I went over the back of the board. So I am in the water and the sail is still up and board sails about 100 ft without me. FUCK! Now I have to swim to catch up with a board that is quickly drifting down-wind. Here I go swimming at full speed for about 10 min to catch up. If you have ever swam in a rough ocean it is not easy. I get the board totally out of breath and shot. I tried to water-start a couple of times ( use the sail power to pull myself onto the board) but was too tired to get everything in the right position. So I have to stand on the board and up-haul . That is just pulling the sail out of the water. However large sails hold so much water that until you get it up high enough to drain, it weighs about as much as a small car. Took me about 5 min to do something I can do in 20 seconds. Just had nothing left in me. Limped back to the beach at half power and lay in the sand for about 30 min. Done for the day. I stupidly told my girl the story...that didn't go well for me. She inquired as to the location of the life insurance policy.

All I can say is thank God my bike was out of commission! Not good weekend for risk.

So, what were you up to?

Edited by Blu
  • Like 2

Life experiences make us who we are. Glad your ok scratches on your back aren't usually that easy to explain to the little lady.

Al

Just remember ,never show up with scratches on your back and a smile at the same time .

Just tell her your dominatrix was a bitch instead of fabricating all this stuff.

Don't loose your (3) marbles.

Just tell her your dominatrix was a bitch instead of fabricating all this stuff.

Don't loose your (3) marbles.

Dominatrix? :SmackBottom:

You are correct, the truth is always the best policy. However if I was to say that to my girl she would have run downtown to buy a selection of whips and things to beat me with. She has often said " I don't why I like hitting you, but it makes me happy". So this a door I prefer to leave closed.

Howard, you're old enough to know better

Every little adventure you just described is for young folks.

Getting old SUX.

Howard, you're old enough to know better

Every little adventure you just described is for young folks.

Getting old SUX.

I should, but I clearly do not know better and I have no intention of knowing any better in the near future. I live for this stuff and I can still outperform many who are 20 years younger. Even if I cannot, I am having fun and I will have no regrets. I just don't heal as fast as I used to. I appreciate your advise and caring, but as it has been said..."Better to burn out than is to rust". I am actually feeling a little "rusty" this morning.... :blush:

I should, but I clearly do not know better and I have no intention of knowing any better in the near future. I live for this stuff and I can still outperform many who are 20 years younger. Even if I cannot, I am having fun and I will have no regrets. I just don't heal as fast as I used to. I appreciate your advise and caring, but as it has been said..."Better to burn out than is to rust". I am actually feeling a little "rusty" this morning.... :blush:

Yeah, it really is no fun sitting and rusting away. I do miss racquetball in particular and riding bikes with the wife and playing any kind of ball with my youngest son and grand kids.

Yeah, it really is no fun sitting and rusting away. I do miss racquetball in particular and riding bikes with the wife and playing any kind of ball with my youngest son and grand kids.

So I've started the mountain biking and am back to racquetball... Life is good again...

Wow! We just rode in a truck for 10 hours to sell Millie...no one got hurt, tears were shed though...

Glad you're ok!

Rough day for me is golfing, smoking, drinking and taking a nap. Not sure what all this physical shit is about...... :no:

Rough day for me is golfing, smoking, drinking and taking a nap. Not sure what all this physical shit is about...... :no:

Both will kill us, just a matter of who goes first and by what method. I am however more likely to make the papers, not sure if that is good a good thing or a bad thing.

With minimal motorcycle related contact, and not all that interesting, here is a brief summary of my weekend.

So my girlfriend was stuck in NYC with her Kid, just had oral surgery so I stayed on Long Island Saturday to catch up around the house. Nothing remarkable, just minor home repairs, wax my SUV, and change the clutch cable on my Vintage. The gasket ripped so know I am waiting for my local shop to order a new one. So during the day I took a couple hours off to go mountain biking. Cool and quiet in the woods, just perfect. So I was doing a fast decent I have done 100 times and it seems my pedal caught something sticking out the ground. This caused the bike to spin hard to the left throwing me off said bike square into a tree. Fortunately the tree was about 2" in dia and dead. So I cracked the tree and half and rolled about 10 ft down the hill. Got up, shook the leaves and sticks out my shirt and continued the ride without further incident. I drove into NYC that night to see my girl, she gave me a ton of shit about the giant red mark and scratches on my back and how at my age I shouldn't be doing these dangerous sports.

Sunday it was windy, the Marine forecast was 15-20 kts. WINDSURFING! Packed up the trailer and hit the beach. Made my very un-scientific wind assessment and chose a large, (7.5sq meters) but not giant sail. If I am not on full plane it is not worth it, so I need the power. Started out a great day, right in the power band, fully powered up, jumping over the 1-2 ft swells, cranking! Later the wind picked up, gusting to at least 25kts, so now when I hit the wind line I am way overpowered, meaning I cannot get the sail into the proper position so the board is unstable and holding on feels like you hooked into a the bumper of a tractor. Further when overpowered the board will start to lift out of the water and ride on the fin. When the board "tail walks" it is a wild ride, uncontrollable and all over the place, like hitting ice on a bike. I should have down-rigged to a smaller sail, but that is a 45 min ordeal I was not going to do ( stupid) So I was sailing for about an hour like this, getting tired but having a wild time. I AM the fastest guy on bay! Later I took a bad fall, no biggie but instead of falling forward or to the side, I went over the back of the board. So I am in the water and the sail is still up and board sails about 100 ft without me. FUCK! Now I have to swim to catch up with a board that is quickly drifting down-wind. Here I go swimming at full speed for about 10 min to catch up. If you have ever swam in a rough ocean it is not easy. I get the board totally out of breath and shot. I tried to water-start a couple of times ( use the sail power to pull myself onto the board) but was too tired to get everything in the right position. So I have to stand on the board and up-haul . That is just pulling the sail out of the water. However large sails hold so much water that until you get it up high enough to drain, it weighs about as much as a small car. Took me about 5 min to do something I can do in 20 seconds. Just had nothing left in me. Limped back to the beach at half power and lay in the sand for about 30 min. Done for the day. I stupidly told my girl the story...that didn't go well for me. She inquired as to the location of the life insurance policy.

All I can say is thank God my bike was out of commission! Not good weekend for risk.

So, what were you up to?

Man your a good writer, thanks for taking the time to share this story with us. Glad you made it through the weekend ok, now you can plan for next weekend.

• Like 2