Indian Motorcycle Community

Niagara Falls?

Call me crazy... I've been called worse.

Three trips this year and three tow truck rides for my bike - the last one resulted in a dented front fender. The Fates seem to be saying something to me...

But I've still got that itch.. the burning need to seek out horizons unvisited, to see what I've not seen before.

So here I am, a day after returning home from a trip with another rear tire flat and a tow truck ride and a dented front fender... and I'm looking at routes for a trip east to Maine.

So all that aside...

The wife says that since I'm going to be in the area of Niagara Falls I should give it a look.. but it looks like a big ball of traffic congestion to me... more trouble that it's worth. So... has anyone visited Niagara Falls (on their bike)? and is it worth the trouble?

Right now it looks like too much hassle, and it would be nicer to take a ride along the southern shore of Lake Ontario. Opinions?

We rode to Maine a few years ago on our Ol' Gilroys.

We went from Spring Green, WI, around the southern part of Lake Michigan through Michigan to Pot Huron and into Canada. Rain on and off.

We were shooting to get to Toronto to spend the night, and then on to Montreal for a day, and then drop down into Maine. We made it to a suburb of Toronto and stayed there because of the thunder storms. We were drenched by then anyway.

Looking at the weather, we thought it might be better to head back into the States through Niagara Falls. More rain.

Didn't spend too much time at the Falls because of the weather. We got rained on through the entire State of New York until we pulled over at Troy to spend the night. The rest of the way to Maine was nice, as was the weather while we were there (in Ogunquit). On the way home...yep rained on us through Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana. We rode non-stop from Erie, PA to Hartford, WI.

Though we got soaked, it was still an awesome trip.

No problems with the bikes, but when I got home my rear drive sprocket looked like this:

081.jpg

Edited by indian T

Went to the falls about 15 years ago when the kids were young (so not on the bike) about 15 years ago. Stayed on US side. Nice little walkways, and plenty of tourist crap. An enjoyable trip, although the falls are the only real attraction I remember. I would suggest visiting so at least you can say you've been there.

If you are packing (a pistol {déjà vu}) I am sure you know to avoid Illinois all together, though most other States reciprocate your CPL between Colorado and Michigan. New York, maybe not so. Probably best route for you is South of Ill., but if you want to go North through Michigan both of the Lake Michigan ferries will accommodate. If you decide to cut through Michigan I got a spare room, hot dinner, and delicious home brew if you need a place to rest. Also have a bike stand to aid in fixing flats... Sorry, couldn't resist.

We rode to Maine a few years ago on our Ol' Gilroys.

We went from Spring Green, WI, around the southern part of Lake Michigan through Michigan to Pot Huron and into Canada. Rain on and off.

We were shooting to get to Toronto to spend the night, and then on to Montreal for a day, and then drop down into Maine. We made it to a suburb of Toronto and stayed there because of the thunder storms. We were drenched by then anyway.

Looking at the weather, we thought it might be better to head back into the States through Niagara Falls. More rain.

Didn't spend too much time at the Falls because of the weather. We got rained on through the entire State of New York until we pulled over at Troy to spend the night. The rest of the way to Maine was nice, as was the weather while we were there (in Ogunquit). On the way home...yep rained on us through Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana. We rode non-stop from Erie, PA to Hartford, WI.

Though we got soaked, it was still an awesome trip.

No problems with the bikes, but when I got home my rear drive sprocket looked like this:

081.jpg

Dang man... that sprocket looks pretty worn...

Regarding the weather - what time of year did you go? I'm planning on a September trip.

Better yet , go to the Blue Star and have a good dinner, go home and open up a cold beer

• Like 1

Went to Niagra Falls several years ago (by car though) and it was worth it. The better view is from the Canadian side and as Mikehell stated, you'll need a passport nowadays. If you decide on making the trip and come through central Ohio, let me know. I have a garage, tools, a spare room and beer.

• Like 1

Dang man... that sprocket looks pretty worn...

Regarding the weather - what time of year did you go? I'm planning on a September trip.

We went in August.

There were some gorgeous roads.

The rain was from a storm system that stalled over the Great Lakes. It was moving in a big circle, so we were getting hit by the same storm over and over. Not the worst thing that could happen on a trip...we still had a blast.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A Texan's comment on Niagra Falls.....

First a little background; ............My wife and I have been married 28 years next week. I'm a fifth generation native Texan (translation= my ancestors got here from Alabama shortly after the Alamo and while we were still THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS). She is from upstate NY but got here as soon as she could and had been here over ten years before we met. Her brother and his family still live in their birthtown of Brockport NY. Her father and step-mother in nearby Rochester. Over twenty years ago, and after about five years of marriage, she dragged me kicking and screaming up there to meet them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Brockport is a small town out in the country, on the Errie Canal. Farming and dairy land. I instantly liked my brother and sister in law. The stepmother was, well think of worse than Hillery Clinton and you get close. She looked down her damn yankee nose at me immediately, and I immediately looked for a long handled shovel cause that's what we Texans whap a rattlesnake with! I spent two wonderful weeks up there. Wonderful except when step mom dropped by. I got real good at glaring! All the rest of the family hated her also, so I got along great with my new in law brother & sister.

OK here is the Niagra Falls part (FINALLY)!

Stepwitch insisted we all go to Niagra Falls (so she could show it off to a lowly Texan). Drove an hour or two to get there and we all piled out on the US side and went up to the railing....I'd been thinking of a good reply to the witch's boasting so when she said " Isn't that magnificent! There's nothing in Texas that can touch that!...I replied in a bored tone with a question "When did they they build this?" Her expression was priceless (mad as a hornet) and she blurted out "Nobody built this, it's a natural wonder!" My Reply...."Well if we wanted one of these in Texas.... we would have built it, and we would have built it a hell of a lot bigger than this." She turned redder than @#$!%. My brother and sister in law became instant family and thank me to this day for my expert handling of that witch. She died a couple of years ago and I asked my brother in law if they were going to throw her over the falls? He dropped the phone laughing.

Back to the original poster's question; I think the falls are nice, not super great, like seeing the Grand Canyon, but if your close then go see them and get the T shirt for it. What I enjoyed in upstate NY is the small town antique stores and small fairs and farmer markets. In Lockport is a great museum on the Errie Canal about the canal. Did you know it was built by hand (shovels, wagons, and mules) by mostly Irish workers? The canal, not the falls were built by hand .... :grin:

Oh we travel up there every five years or so from Texas and last trip we went up to Lake Ontario to a beach. I don't think them folks have ever seen Padre Island or they might not call the shore of Ontario a beach.

Edited by twobit
  • Like 1

I usually steer clear of crowds whenever possible... so my inclination is to NOT visit Niagara Falls. I was also thinking about visiting Salem MA while I was back in the area, but after looking at the map on Google I've decided to avoid it.. looks like a nightmare.

I've had three trips on my bikes this year - each ended up including a ride on a tow truck.

1. VCM blew on my 2014 Vintage - complete electrical shut down.
  2. Rear tire blow out on my 2010 Darkhorse.
  3. Rear tire flat on my 2014 Vintage.

Being the superstitious sort that I am - I figure the Fates are trying to tell me something, so I've postponed my trip to Maine until NEXT year. Hopefully my Ju-Ju will improve by then.