Indian Motorcycle Community

1% Saved My Ass To Day

mechanic changed defective tire ,installed rear rotor ,installed new switch and changed oil today ,about 75 miles from me in the country ,riding home in the middle of nowhere smoke everywhere ,oil everywhere , damn , i stopped in the nick of time ,oil tank empty ,no cell service ,no police came by ,no cages would stop ,i am screwed no house either way for miles ,after 45 minutes or so i hear a v twin , a gang member and wife from georgia stopped ,whew , he checked my bike , and said i will go call your wrentch when i get service , i was thanking him and he said never break rule 1 ,never leave a brother stranded ,no matter what , he did exactly what he said and was the nicest folks i ever met ,wont say the gang name but is a major player ,i didnt even get their names but who ever in georgia thank you !!!!! it was a filter for twin cam instead of evo ,just a mistake . mechanic picked me up with trailer and all is good tonite ,thank you 1 %

• Like 12

Ya there are some good ones out there. Pass it on next time you see somebody down stop.

• Like 6

So far at least, I've had nothing but good experiences with 1%ers. I stay polite and respectful, and I get the same in return. Works for me.

• Like 6

Good job...the wrong filter is a rookie mistake and a potentially SERIOUS mistake....make sure it is annotated in case you have engine issues later. And YES.....always help and pay it forward....stay respectful and honest and 9 out of 10 times you will get the same back. Period!

• Like 3

That's a risky way to flush out the motor...

Had a bad leak from the factory

I repeatedly pointed it out to the dealer service folks.

Got ~ "they all do that" ... warranty was intact so I rode it..

Packed a few quarts of oil & took off.

This was the first summer I owned the Chief.

I had a leak like that on a 200 mile ride years ago.

Got down to about a quart & some drips in the tank.

Oil all over the rear tire ~ a fricken mess~!!

Very nearly smoked the engine.

Prior to the ride...during break in...

Went to 3 different dealers, 1 said 'normal', 1 wanted to send the engine back to S&S.

The 3rd one wouldn't do a dam thing because the bike was not purchased at that particular dealer.

That one actually agreed it was leaking where I said it was, but would do nothing.

Took it in for the 500 mile service ~ same old leak still there.

I ended up finding the problem, and replaced the torn upper pushrod o-rings myself.

This was straight from the Garlick Picker factory prior to the 500 mile service.

The warranty was pretty worthless...circa summer of 2000.

That's when I started going through everything on the bike

Never been back to a dealer or prowrench of any kind for any service since.

That's a risky way to flush out the motor...

Had a bad leak from the factory

I repeatedly pointed it out to the dealer service folks.

Got ~ "they all do that" ... warranty was intact so I rode it..

Packed a few quarts of oil & took off.

This was the first summer I owned the Chief.

I had a leak like that on a 200 mile ride years ago.

Got down to about a quart & some drips in the tank.

Oil all over the rear tire ~ a fricken mess~!!

Very nearly smoked the engine.

Prior to the ride...during break in...

Went to 3 different dealers, 1 said 'normal', 1 wanted to send the engine back to S&S.

The 3rd one wouldn't do a dam thing because the bike was not purchased at that particular dealer.

That one actually agreed it was leaking where I said it was, but would do nothing.

Took it in for the 500 mile service ~ same old leak still there.

I ended up finding the problem, and replaced the torn upper pushrod o-rings myself.

This was straight from the Garlick Picker factory prior to the 500 mile service.

The warranty was pretty worthless...circa summer of 2000.

That's when I started going through everything on the bike

Never been back to a dealer or prowrench of any kind for any service since.

Fucking Polaris...

• Like 3

Fucking Polaris...

Never owned anything from Polaris.

pii had nothing to do with that Garlick stuff & even you know that.

they did make the snowmobile crankshafts as weldments that had a tendency to let go.

Good thing they didn't try that with the motorsickle side of things.

Love how Pii 'improved' the KMs back in '12/'13?

That was a whitewash job right there. :oops:

Holding out for the 'SpringField' release ~ hoping for a steel framed BlusterStroke 111. :rasp:

mechanic changed defective tire ,installed rear rotor ,installed new switch and changed oil today ,about 75 miles from me in the country ,riding home in the middle of nowhere smoke everywhere ,oil everywhere , damn , i stopped in the nick of time ,oil tank empty ,no cell service ,no police came by ,no cages would stop ,i am screwed no house either way for miles ,after 45 minutes or so i hear a v twin , a gang member and wife from georgia stopped ,whew , he checked my bike , and said i will go call your wrentch when i get service , i was thanking him and he said never break rule 1 ,never leave a brother stranded ,no matter what , he did exactly what he said and was the nicest folks i ever met ,wont say the gang name but is a major player ,i didnt even get their names but who ever in georgia thank you !!!!! it was a filter for twin cam instead of evo ,just a mistake . mechanic picked me up with trailer and all is good tonite ,thank you 1 %

Club member*

• Like 2

mechanic changed defective tire ,installed rear rotor ,installed new switch and changed oil today ,about 75 miles from me in the country ,riding home in the middle of nowhere smoke everywhere ,oil everywhere , damn , i stopped in the nick of time ,oil tank empty ,no cell service ,no police came by ,no cages would stop ,i am screwed no house either way for miles ,after 45 minutes or so i hear a v twin , a gang member and wife from georgia stopped ,whew , he checked my bike , and said i will go call your wrench when i get service , i was thanking him and he said never break rule 1 ,never leave a brother stranded ,no matter what , he did exactly what he said and was the nicest folks i ever met ,wont say the gang name but is a major player ,i didnt even get their names but who ever in georgia thank you !!!!! it was a filter for twin cam instead of evo ,just a mistake . mechanic picked me up with trailer and all is good tonite ,thank you 1 %

I gotta agree with RobF.....I know you meant no dis-respect.

No need to go all Waco PD in here...

yeah club then ,no biggie ,club sounds like sams ,cosco ,even goin to the ole vfw club

yeah club then ,no biggie ,club sounds like sams ,cosco ,even goin to the ole vfw club

No...it can be a biggie. Club member, MC, or 1%er (if they are a 1%er) is the proper term. Gang is what the media and government calls them, which is not proper.

Edited by CraigB1960
  • Like 4

Last month I was out in california - and one day I was waiting for a buddy to join me at a coffee place near his house. So I arrived early as I normally do and I'm sitting outside enjoying a nice cup.

I was wearing my IIRA cut with the big IIRA patch on the back...

So anyway this guy comes up and strikes up a conversation.

Him: Iron Indians huh... what are you guys about?

Me: Well, we're Iron Indian Riders - so we ride Indians.

Him: (laughing) so are you guys hooked up with the 81? (Hells Angles)

Me: No. We're not a MC, and not a 1% group at all. We're a Riding Association, and we claim no territory. We just all enjoy riding Indians.

That pretty much was the end of the conversation.

The distinction between a MC and an RA is an important one. We are not a 1% group and claim no territory, and we just ride. The "MC" tag comes with a lot of politics, and I think it's best to just stay out of that.

I think I'm one of the few - and may be the only IIRA member in Colorado that sports the big IIRA patch on my cut. Because of that it's important that I don't ruffle any of the feathers of the established MC's, especially the 1% MC's. So far no trouble at all.

In this world labels and how you present yourself is damned important.

• Like 2

"Took it in for the 500 mile service ~ same old leak still there.

I ended up finding the problem, and replaced the torn upper pushrod o-rings myself."

- I had the same issue when the bike was new way back in 2000. Same solution. I guess old

Paco had a problem jamming those o-rings in when he couldn't slobber red locktite all over the unit.

• Like 1

I could not agree more with CraigB1960.

Referring to any 1 percent MC member as a "gang" member would be received as offensive. From your post, Glassguy2, I know you didn't intend it that way.

no ,my bad i guess ,i did appreciate the help and they were nice folks , like i said my bad

• Like 1

No...it can be a biggie. Club member, MC, or 1%er (if they are a 1%er) is the proper term. Gang is what the media and government calls them, which is not proper.

MC's absolutely hate the reference to them as gangs, that's a tag put on them by the Waco LE to demonize the bikers and catagorize them as all being part of a criminal element so they can apply RICO laws to prosecuting them and the media has picked it up as well. The term 1% percent is used to refer to the 1 percent of bikers that are associated with MC's that possibly engage in criminal activity. That means that 99 percent of MC's are law abiding clubs. And probably only 1-5% of all the members of 1% clubs have participated in criminal activity. If glassguy2 had said the word gang while in ear shot of his road angel his experience would have been a lot different.

• Like 1

MC's absolutely hate the reference to them as gangs, that's a tag put on them by the Waco LE to demonize the bikers and catagorize them as all being part of a criminal element so they can apply RICO laws to prosecuting them and the media has picked it up as well. The term 1% percent is used to refer to the 1 percent of bikers that are associated with MC's that possibly engage in criminal activity. That means that 99 percent of MC's are law abiding clubs. And probably only 1-5% of all the members of 1% clubs have participated in criminal activity. If glassguy2 had said the word gang while in ear shot of his road angel his experience would have been a lot different.

I completely agree.

My belief is that in ANY group - be it cops, priests, boy scouts, religious MC's, or 1% clubs - about 10% of the people in that group are up to no good. Sure there's a tolerance on that 10% with some groups having a bit more and others having a bit less, but I think that generally the 10% rule holds true.

• Like 1