Indian Motorcycle Community

I Dumped Paypal. Has Anybody Else Heard Of This Stuff?

Not long ago somebody mentioned that they ditched paypal, and a bunch of their friends did too. Told me that the July 1st, update to the "agreement" you sign to use it has some not-acceptable terms in it. So, I read a short thing on the web and dropped mine too. All I really knew was that they had a right to your "intellectual property" that you don't want them to have. Then I came across this youtube video that explains it in depth. Thought I'd pass it along. I'd want somebody to tell me if they were trying to screw me. note-not saying I back everything this channel puts out, but the 7 1/2 minutes that these two guys reported verbatim what the contract says is really worth hearing. They say they own your stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLMTMPZEq_s

• Like 2

Although I'm guilty of using PayPal for convenience and buyer's protection, they're very political (owned by Ebay). They are very anti-gun and many pro-second amendment people will not use them for anything. Unfortunately, they're about the only game in town when it comes to safely paying for internet purchases.

Yeah, as time goes on, I keep hearing more about different internet things, including Google, which I use. (probably not for long). I absolutely refuse to use facebook. I ordered some Durabeads for the bike tires the other day and they only showed that they would take my credit card through paypal on ebay, so I hit the button to go to their "store", where I got their phone number, called them up and they took the order that way, which bypassed paypal. I've got some rollers for the wire to order for my Miller welder, but again, the place I found a good deal at only uses paypal, so I'm going to call them on Monday to tell them I won't use Paypal now. I may end up having to pay more somewhere else, but I'm not going with PP anymore. I didn't realize how deep (and bad) this was getting until I watched the above video. (BTW, I googled Paypal Intellectual Property Complaints to get more info, and this video was the one with the most evidence of things I was curious about.)

Edited by lvbutcher

I found that paragraph about the "intellectual property" and sent it to my uncle, a retired lawyer, and now a judge down in Texas. Following is his response;

"I have read this 6 times I think what it says is if you ever, or have ever, used Pay Pal you forfeit your balls and all children, grandchildren ad infinitum to them forever. This is what in the legal world is called a contract of adhesion.

No I have no idea what it means. "

YMMV.........................

• Like 1

More on this. My uncle sent it to his son, my cousin, senior counsel for a worldwide corp, The first response;

It says a few things. If you post content on PayPal, you grant PayPal a free, worldwide, perpetual license to essentially use the content for anything it wants. So you’re not giving up your ownership rights, but you’re giving PayPal a free right to use. You also waive any rights you may have which would provide you a cause of action against PayPal. Finally, you represent and warrant (i.e, you promise) that your content does not infringe anyone else’s rights. The language is just shy of requiring an indemnity for any such infringement – so it could be worse!

Adhesion? Such an ugly word.

Then his next response;

But just to put a finer point on this – if Robin creates something really cool and posts it on PayPal, and then PayPal turns it into a Pepsi commercial and makes a bundle, Robin is probably SOL.

I ain't gonna quit 'em, just gonna be careful what I post or use them for.............................

• Like 2

More on this. My uncle sent it to his son, my cousin, senior counsel for a worldwide corp, The first response;

It says a few things. If you post content on PayPal, you grant PayPal a free, worldwide, perpetual license to essentially use the content for anything it wants. So you’re not giving up your ownership rights, but you’re giving PayPal a free right to use. You also waive any rights you may have which would provide you a cause of action against PayPal. Finally, you represent and warrant (i.e, you promise) that your content does not infringe anyone else’s rights. The language is just shy of requiring an indemnity for any such infringement – so it could be worse!

Then his next response;

But just to put a finer point on this – if Robin creates something really cool and posts it on PayPal, and then PayPal turns it into a Pepsi commercial and makes a bundle, Robin is probably SOL.

I ain't gonna quit 'em, just gonna be careful what I post or use them for.............................

Thanks for that post, Robin.

Hmm....they used to be "separate" companies until Ebay realized PayPal was making a ton of money off of auction purchases, especially theirs.

Then his next response;

Ok, someone explain to me why anyone would post anything on Paypal. Is there a social section I am unaware of? Even so, post what, a detailed experience about how cool it was to pay for a gasket kit bought on ebay?

• Like 2

Ok, someone explain to me why anyone would post anything on Paypal. Is there a social section I am unaware of? Even so, post what, a detailed experience about how cool it was to pay for a gasket kit bought on ebay?

That's the part I found strange too. Don't know what one could put on there that might be worth something to anyone else. But then that's exactly why I don't facebook or allow my kids that do to post anything from around the house.

Hmm....they used to be "separate" companies until Ebay realized PayPal was making a ton of money off of auction purchases, especially theirs.

Paypal and Ebay became one but it only lasted for a minute, like Eraserhead said I was informed shortly after they partnered up they split up. I think it had something to do with the Ebay executive sitting down to pee lol.

The data they are after is spending trends , particular products etc. they mine the data and sell it to manufacturers , they may also use to to offer marketing opportunities for retail , I. E. Airpirate buys Indian brand tee shirts 4 times a year you should check it out etc

I think this is a lot about nothing.....all they can see is your spending habits and what percentage are services vs goods vs gifts unless you do the auto pay for a company. I personally dont think it is any different than any other online retailer...they are all tracking trends and data...amazon, best buy, target, facebook, google, etc. some need to get their tinfoil hats resized. lol

Thanks, xv62, for this info. It's good to hear from an unbiased lawyer(s)on this. And even though, from what I heard the English guy say, it may be mostly for the sellers, why would it be required of EVERYONE to sign it if it weren't going to be aimed toward us. Seems like since the Homeland Security way of phone and IT tapping has (supposedly) been slowed, this is the next phase in owning our information, and now, it seems, everything we may buy from tricky corporate entities. I'm now looking into how to completely rescind any formerly signed contracts I may have been duped into, although I'm pretty anal about reading anything I sign. But, just as I've read recently on Aging Rebels blogs about "evidence dumping" by slick corporate lawyers, where mountains of information in thousands (tens of thousands?) of pages, are handed over to the other side, knowing full well it would be like hunting for a needle in a hay stack to find the one thing needed to use in court. Contracts are in legal language, they are boring, and if the signer isn't careful, dangerous. Damn, it's like walking through a mine field these days, and it just keeps getting worse. This video is an excellent case in point.

Get used to it everyone, there is no privacy and we haven't had it for a while. Do not expect it get any better unless you plan to live a disconnected, cash only existence. I just don't worry about it, I just discard or block unwanted emails and ignore the targeted ads in my browser. If anyone is so interested they want to see the dirty texts I send my girlfriend, they can have at it.

• Like 2

I think this is a lot about nothing.....all they can see is your spending habits and what percentage are services vs goods vs gifts unless you do the auto pay for a company. I personally dont think it is any different than any other online retailer...they are all tracking trends and data...amazon, best buy, target, facebook, google, etc. some need to get their tinfoil hats resized. lol

Actually, there haven't been any "tinfoil" hats since WWII. They use aluminum now. Tinfoil is an outdated ambiguous term.

• Like 1

I think the most interesting posts on this thread may just be Blu's --x rated texts to his girlfriend---Blu could you post some of thoes

with pics for our reading pleasure---- LMAO

no need for Blu to post xrated text ,pay pal has already sent them to my email .

• Like 1