Indian Motorcycle Community

Philip S. Zanghi -- Back Froom The Grave

Who would ever have thought that Philip S. Zanghi and the Indian marque would come together again?

1IndianMotorcyclecigar.jpg2IndianMotorcyclecigar.jpg

Are you enjoying riding motorcycles and smoking a fine cigar once in a while, or maybe doing both at the same time? July brings back Indian-branded cigars in the spotlight, as businessman Phil Zanghi will launch two flavors at the 2015 Trade Show of the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association.

The 83rd IPCPR Trade Show will take place July 17-21, 2015 at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the cigars are expected to become available in specialty stores after the event. No word on whether Indian Motorcycle dealers will also carry the two tobacco products.

Zanghi of Debonaire Cigars reacquired the Indian Tabac trademark after previously selling it to Rocky Patel in 2002. The Indian Tabac Cigar Company initially created from the partnership between the two, will now launch a new brand called Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium Cigars. According to cigar-coop.com, the new product also has marketing input from Polaris, Indian's parent company.

Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium Cigars will be a little less expensive

The same source quotes Zanghi's words in mid-November, 2014: "What I’m going to concentrate on is making whole new brand called Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium – directly working with the people at Polaris and making another luxury brand along the lines of Debonaire that will be a little less expensive.”

Even though the design of the cases is lot exactly a luxurious one as some cigar connoisseurs were maybe expecting, the new products surely go well with the recent image Indian has and will integrate quite well with the official apparel and accessories.

Two new blends will be used for the new issue of Indian cigars, a Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper, complemented by a Habano one. The Habano variety uses Dominican Habano as opposed to the Nicaraguan Habano used for the upscale Debonaire Habano cigars.

Each variety will come in 20-cigar boxes, but the price was not disclosed yet. Definitely a must-try if you like bikes and cigars, even if you don't ride an Indian.

• Like 8

Some of you likely have no idea who this guy was/is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0t_nlKTJM

O.C. Man Found Guilty of Indian Motorcycle Scam

Fraud: Jury says he bilked investors of $830,000. He says he was serious in efforts to revive the famed trademark.

August 13, 1997 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — An Orange County man who claimed he wanted to revive production of America's first motorcycle has been convicted of bilking investors in his Indian Motocycle scheme out of $830,000.

A U.S. District Court jury deliberated for less than three hours Monday before finding Philip S. Zanghi II guilty of 12 counts of securities fraud, three counts of tax evasion and six counts of money laundering.

Judge Frank Freedman scheduled sentencing for Zanghi, 51, of Mission Viejo, for Dec. 9. The maximum penalties he faces total 221 years in prison and $14.5 million in fines.

Zanghi, who acted as his own lawyer, maintained he was serious in his attempts to revive Indian, which built motorcycles from 1901 until 1954.

"Maybe I'm a con man," Zanghi told the jury in his closing arguments. "Maybe I'm a promoter. But I brought the Indian trademark back."

Government prosecutors said that he did little else.

A colorful promoter, Zanghi once spent a year in an Italian prison awaiting extradition to face grand theft charges in a California real estate deal--charges of which he later was acquitted.

When he started promoting the idea of resurrecting Indian in 1990, he told investors he wanted to build the big bikes in Springfield, where the original Indians were built. When that fell through, he said he would open a Connecticut plant.

In actuality, government prosecutors showed, he did little but license T-shirts.

They said he used the proceeds from stock sales and licensing agreements to finance a luxurious lifestyle with a Rolls-Royce and a Ferrari, furs, Rolex watches and international travel.

Zanghi's companies ended up in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, along with several other ventures to revive the famed motorcycle. (This Bankruptcy is how the Canadian's 'won' the right to start building Indian Motorcycles. They purchased CMC in Gilroy California and turned it into the Indian factory)

Engineer Oscar Hedstrom and high-wheel bicycle racing champion George Hendee launched America's love affair with two-wheeled power in Springfield with their "motocycle" in 1901.

Within a few years, their teepee-shaped Springfield plant was the largest motorcycle maker in the world. And their big bikes, which are still prized by collectors, gave birth to the motorcycle subculture in the U.S.

Of the dozens of American motorcycle companies that followed Indian, only archrival Harley-Davidson Inc. of Milwaukee survives.

• Like 5

and... he appears to have Polaris backing..... ain't that interesting. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 2

great look n box.

guess it was close, Indian won out over the bill an monica flavor.

• Like 3

Uhhhh, that's politically incorrect.

Why?

Everything else is nowadays.

• Like 1

Man those 221 years in prison just flew by with time off for good behavior I guess...

14 + million in fines?

Wonder what PII's cut will be?

• Like 3

Man those 221 years in prison just flew by with time off for good behavior I guess...

14 + million in fines?

Wonder what PII's cut will be?

No shit ...not even in dog years

• Like 1

I'm wondering in PI did its due diligence here?! Seriously, don't assume it did ... or anything else for that matter.

• Like 3

I'm wondering in PI did its due diligence here?! Seriously, don't assume it did ... or anything else for that matter.

If they did not, beyond negligent, don't ya think? If they did...well that is even worse.

• Like 2

Polaris has blinders on when it comes to anything having to do with the ownership of the Indian Motorcycle brand prior to their interest during the KM days or after 1953.

• Like 5

Like saying they built the first new Scout in over 70 years ?

• Like 2

I love to smoke a cigar every now and then but I'm not sure if I can smoke these with whats behind them even if IMC sends them to me for free... Looks like a smoke screen to me lol

• Like 1

Like saying they built the first new Scout in over 70 years ?

Yup. When I had that conversation with their designer of the new Scout, he said they were completely unaware of what Indian was during those years. He was working for HD at the time.

• Like 1

He was a shithead then, and he hasn't changed a lick. Piss on his cigars....

Hell, if Patel and Tabak are involved, I'll smoke the heck out of them Rolling down the road.......

Well maybe not while riding. Don't want people think I'm riding a Harley....

• Like 1

it would be nice if some of that 14mil would go to fix the 2003s that people got with thunder hart parts my bikes got 800miles still setting got it new no one to fix it but me I guess.

Good Gawd all mighty. Them are some dumb fuckers. When do they release the John Holmes condoms?

• Like 2

I guess Polaris does not do any inquiry as to background of their partners. They will work with a fucking felon but wont help out with a charity calendar or other more worthy causes run by people that actually have some integrity. fucking ridiculous..... they really got their head up their asses.

• Like 1

Just for the record.... These cigars are from Philip S. Zanghi III , the felon is Philip S. Zanghi II

It's his SON. I am someone who is a Jr and I have son that's a III. I'd hate to have my kid be penalized for some of the shit I've done in my life. Jus' sayin.

• Like 3

Yep, that is correct. It is his son.

Cigar News: Phil Zanghi Reacquires Indian Tabac Trademark, Will Launch Indian Tabac Ultra Premium Cigars (Exclusive)

November 27, 2014 William Cooper Cigar News,

Phil Zanghi of Debonaire Cigars was a special guest on the Stogie Geeks 3 Year Anniversary Show and announced he has re-acquired the Indian Tabac Cigar Company trademark and will launch a new brand called Indian Tabac Motorcycle Ultra Premium Cigars. The line of cigars will be a collaboration with Polaris, who owns the Indian Motorcycle name and will feature an retro Americana theme. Zanghi says the brand is being targeted for a launch at the next IPCPR show.

“It’s signed, sealed and delivered. I have gotten back my original trademark, Indian Tabac Cigar Company. But I’m not going to concentrate on that. What I’m going to concentrate on is making whole new brand called Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium – directly working with the people at Polaris and making another luxury brand along the lines of Debonaire that will be a little less expensive.”

Indian Motorcycles were originally manufactured from 1901 to 1953 out of Springfield Massachusetts. After the original Indian Motorcycle Manufacturing Company went bankrupt, several companies acquired the brand, including one by Zanghi’s father. In 2011, Polaris Industries acquired the company and have since focused on an early Americana theme for the bikes made during that 1901 to 1953 period.

Indian Tabac Cigar Company was originally a partnership between Zanghi and Rocky Patel. In 2002, he sold the company to Patel to focus on other areas in the cigar business.

For this project Zanghi is working with Polaris. The cigar line will keep to the early Americana theme reminiscent of Indian Motorcycles from 1901 to 1953 – consistent to what Polaris is doing. Zanghi says it won’t be so exclusive because he has to work with lot of other places due to working with Polaris.

In terms of the blend and sizes, things are still in process right now. He has some unique names planned with the names of the vitolas.

Zanghi is not planning to bring back the original Indian Tabac cigar line. “I’m not going to mess with Indian Tabac right now. I got my original baby back, but it’s not in the place it needs to be. I don’t think I can ever bring it back with the pride and glory that it once had. I’m going to let it be a moratorium and let it sleep for a while. “

Zanghi is also very excited about working with Polaris. “They are doing Indian right. They are a big company. They are huge. This could be something really special for me.”

Just for the record.... These cigars are from Philip S. Zanghi III , the felon is Philip S. Zanghi II

It's his SON. I am someone who is a Jr and I have son that's a III. I'd hate to have my kid be penalized for some of the shit I've done in my life. Jus' sayin.

Let's not muddy this with facts....

• Like 2