Indian Motorcycle Community

Old School Biking Courtesy

As most of you know, the T3 shot craps on me last week on one of the busiest stretches of highway leading to the Lake of the Ozarks

While stranded on the side of the road, seat off, cell phone in hand, there was probably 100 - 125 bikes that passed by in the hour and a half I had to wait for a tow. NOT ONE so called biker stopped to offer assistance, use of a cell phone, or to lend a tool. The only one who stopped was a highway patrolman.

There was nothing anyone could have done to get it running, but stopping to at least ask would not be out of the ordinary..

I still stop for guys on the side of the road, even if in the car. Most of the time not much I can do, but there have been a couple of times I did get them going, or took them to town for gas or a tow. I stopped for some 1%'s a couple years ago, and they said they had it covered, but were very thankful for me stopping.

I guess REAL BIKERS don't stop anymore.

• Like 3

Us old(er) farts need to lead by example a little more. However, pretending to be broke down is a common ploy among thieves, so watch your back and cover your weapon. However however, I have always been met with "thank you's" not bullets when I offer to help someone on the roadside.

Have Gun Will Travel

Greg - IIRA Wannabe

Ya you right it is a different type riding motosickles these days. They just ride on by most don;t even look. We were coming back from Sturgis one year and fellow with us had a flat and one after another just kept on going. Finally one fellow stopped and told us about a Harley dealer in the next town. We were waiting on a tow truck to pick up his bike had to put a new tire on. Thats the type of people you got in this world now days.

i stopped to check on a black couple on the side of the road a couple weeks ago ,they acted so surprised when i pulled up ,she said her ass was just numb from riding on the back so long and thanked me over and over and offered a cold brew , paybacks taste good

I almost always stop if it's a single bike and it looks like they need help. A couple months ago I passed a bagger sitting on a bridge and the rider was leaning on the guardrail talking on his cell phone. I was in my truck and pulled over to the berm and started backing up. He waved me on. So, he either had help on the way, was just resting his butt or having phone sex. I obviously couldn't help in any case. :no:

Most (not all) of the newer generation "bikers" won't stop, when I had my latest flat tire I had 4-5 cars stop & offer assistance, one guy stopped and gave me a large bottle of water even though I had one. not one motorcycle stopped or even looked my way when they rode-by. I will stop if it's one or two peeps, if there is more than that they have enough help.

• Like 2

Actually when my rear tire blew out near Wichita I had two bikers stop to see if I was ok. One of them was a young guy riding what looked like an old Honda 750 four. I also got help in the motel parking lot from a group of strangers when my bike tipped over (wouldn't sit right because the kickstand was too tall)

The people who passed you by may have seen that you were on your cell and decided you were ok.

I pulled over to help a kid on one of those KTM Duks & he looked at me & got real scared and said he was OK, I asked him if he had a phone and he said NO (I don't know how he had help coming) I wrote my number on the back of my bizz card and handed it to him & told him to call if his help didn't show, i guess he had watched too many biker movies...

• Like 3

A few weeks ago meet a guy stranded in the parking lot on a custom crotch rocket. Damn thing was like nothing I ever saw said it was custom built by some shop. anyway just died on him so I went through it found they didn't secure the starter relay block to anything and it grounded out. got him going, sometimes ya just need a seconds set of eyes.

• Like 1

I was stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident about a year ago. Seems a car cut off a crotch rocket and sent him to a slide. Car ended up hitting the median. Kid was in armor and sitting on the side of the road. Two Harley riders came past me and pulled over. One sat with the kid and the other inspected the bike, even though the cops were on site, Kind of stuck with me...

• Like 1

The Gilroy Vibrator died on me in southern Saskatchewan on the way to Branson in '11. Three guys in pickups stopped to check on me. All bikers. The first guy was on his way to a well site to do some service work. He said he'd stop on the way back to help out. Turns out he's also a v-twin mech. Long story which I won't bore you with here, but over the next couple days in a small town with no bike shops he got me on the road again. Sad to hear that things seem to be changing.

• Like 1

It's the LOOK AT ME SYNDROME. Started when early 90's when there was a waiting list for HDs. You weren't sh*t unless you had a Scoot. It was the RUB's era!!! (rich urban biker for those who go ?????? )

They are still around, and you can pick them out of a crowd just by looking at them. Some of the newbies (IRIP) in my opinion are cut from this cloth. They are also the ones you DON'T want to ride with because skill come from experience, and years in the saddle. Just my 2c.

I have not survived all these years for a mid-life crisis wannabe kill me because he doesn't know what to do in a scenario , or checking out how he looks on his scoot...

Survived a crash at 125 mph,( my stupidity alone). This was enough fall down and go boom for me....

• Like 1

Vinny, Carrie, and I were riding home cutting through Ohio, on our way back from West Virginia.

A kid was on the shoulder of the highway sitting against the guardrail next to his bike. He was looking like he just lost his best friend.

We pulled over to see if we could help. Carrie was the first to talk to him. She asked him a few questions. He said help was on the way. Talking to him, it sounded like he ran out of gas. Carrie went through a few things on his bike and found out that he didn't know what the reserve position on the petcock was all about.

She flipped it to reserve and the kid fired up his bike.

Hopefully he'll repay the courtesy to someone else stranded on the side of the road.