Indian Motorcycle Community

Indian larry dies

(Here's the article in today's Charlotte paper):

Posted on Tue, Aug. 31, 2004

Custom bike-builder dies after crash

Associated Press

CONCORD, N.C. - A custom motorcycle builder known for his appearances on cable's Discovery Channel, died Monday after crashing during a weekend stunt at an arena outside Charlotte.

"Indian Larry," whose given name is Larry Desmedt, fell off a moving motorcycle Saturday while performing before 8,000 people at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center in Concord as part of the Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series.

Desmedt, 55, died at 3:45 a.m. Monday at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, a hospital official said.

"Indian Larry was a man with great skill and talent as a mechanic and metal sculptor," said Robert Freeman, the chairman of the Cabarrus board of commissioners. "He will be truly missed by his fans here in Cabarrus County and throughout the nation."

The "Indian Larry" Web site also said: "In loving memory of our friend and beloved husband Indian Larry. We'll always keep you in our prayers." Messages left at his Brooklyn, N.Y., headquarters were not returned.

Indian Larry was appearing at a three-day motorcycle event when the bike he stood on began to wobble, and he was unable to regain control, said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County's deputy manager. Desmedt was not wearing a helmet and suffered head injuries, county officials said.

Indian Larry appeared in movies and television shows, once riding a motorcycle through a wall of flame on "The Late Show With David Letterman."

Recently he had been featured on the Discovery Channel's Biker Build-Off series, in which well-known motorcycle builders design and build bikes from scratch, then have them judged by motorcycle aficionados.

ON THE NET

Indian Larry Web site: http://www.indianlarry.com

Monday while driving home from work my father (IndianChief335) called me to let me know Indian Larry had passed away and I was stunned.  About a Month ago at Super Sunday in Connecticut, my Boyfriend MET Indian Larry, got his picture taken (thanks to my father) and has it framed on the TV. He was devistated.

Its sad, and He will be missed.

R.I.P Indian Larry

My wife & I met "Indian Larry" at the Easyrider bike show that was held in Columbus, Ohio last Spring.

He was VERY APPROACHABLE and made himself so to everyone who wanted to talk to him, have pictures taken, sign autographs, etc, etc.

More so than most of the "TV made" biker celebrities he was down to earth and humble about the accomplishments and contributions he made "today's" motorcycle lifestyle as we know it today.

HE WILL BE MISSED!!!!

Indian Larry was a very talented craftsman! Its sad to see him pass, however , a man with his experience should have known that doing stupid stunts on a motorcycle without the proper protection could lead to failure!

Heres, something that should prove this point (or should have for IL) , A couple months back Billy Lane the famous bike builder from Florida (and the Discovery channel Biker buildoff) , had done just as stupid a stunt in Hawaii , damn near killed him as well , he cant ride or work because of his injuries for at least a year !

Im pretty sure Indian Larry could read , did he not read any of the motorcycle trade magazines or the local papers about people doing stupid shit on there bikes, and dying?

Well , I guess not, at least he went doing what he loved to do , but the price he paid wasnt really justified! He was in his prime , his business had skyrocketed in the last couple years , I dont see any of the other master craftmen like Arlen Ness,Eddie Trotta,or Mitch Bergeron doing senseless shit like that , most of these guys did stupid shit while riding crotch rockets , thats why crotch rockets are made!

Sorry to see you go Larry ,

...... most of these guys did stupid shit while riding crotch rockets , thats why crotch rockets are made!

Our local motorcycle recycling places (junkyards) are "FILLED" with them (crotch rockets).

Many a time I have been passed by crotch rockets on the Interstate going so dam fast and plus you can't even hear them coming behind you (loud pipes save lives!!!).

Yes, Indian Larry became a victim of his own quest for speed and the thrill of stunt riding.  Hopefully we can all learn from his tragic demise.

Well, call me plumb stupid, but I'm of a mind that if ya check out, then doin it on iron, livin large at the top of your game with a fat roll in the bank, appreciated by friends and acquaintances, and with having put your mark on the way of life that you love, it beats hell out of a whole lot of the alternatives that befall us mortals.

If he was stupid, then he must have been some lucky because he managed to cobble together a respectable life and he snuffed it doing something that others don't. Selfish... sure. My heart breaks for his near and dear. But, with time, the ends of legendary men punctuate their story.

Here's to Indian Larry. He died like he lived, taking chances and riding hard. I hope that when my day of judgement comes, those that knew me will be able to say the same.

Archived