Indian Motorcycle Community

Helmet Buffeting

We love the Roadmaster, but the wife is having issues with the wind buffeting her helmet, she say's at times she feels like a bobble head doll.

I've tried adjusting the windshield up and down, as well as adjusting the lower vents, but she still has problems.

Besides leaving her home or turning off the intercom headsets, any suggestions as to how to help her?

• Like 1

My wife had same issue . I put some 1/2 inch foam in behind the harness inside to make it tighter seems to work much better .Which made helmet smaller by about a inch . Helmet may just be to lose on her head

• Like 2

we don't always wear helmets, but when we do .. we don't f**k around... also wear a HANS device

adjustable-web.jpg

We love the Roadmaster, but the wife is having issues with the wind buffeting her helmet, she say's at times she feels like a bobble head doll.

I've tried adjusting the windshield up and down, as well as adjusting the lower vents, but she still has problems.

Besides leaving her home or turning off the intercom headsets, any suggestions as to how to help her?

Make sure the thing is pulled down so that the top of the face opening is just above the eyebrows. In other words, no "high helmet" as in "high hat" wearing.

hi-res-107859984_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=

Wear-your-motorcycle-helmet.jpg

• Like 1

article-2506919-196554E500000578-32_306x

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/30EHI4S38u4

..put an IOA sticker on the back of it and you are ready to hit every restaurant within 25 miles !

.....no more more buffeting......just buffets !

Edited by harleynot
  • Like 3

Ride slower...so less wind. ;)

• Like 1

Sounds like if adjusting the windshield and the factory lowers don't work, the only option left is a helmet adjustment or a new helmet altogether.

What type of helmet is she wearing now? Full face, 3/4, half? I noticed I get more buffeting when wearing my full face helmet than my half helmet.

maybe drill a hole in the top of the helmet

Maybe one hole in the front and one in the rear

• Like 1

Maybe one hole in the front and one in the rear

WARNING! REMOVE HELMET BEFORE DRILLING! ( this is a special notice for the mentally changed among us, cause someone will try it and post it on youtube)

• Like 2

WARNING! REMOVE HELMET BEFORE DRILLING! ( this is a special notice for the mentally changed among us, cause someone will try it and post it on youtube)

Damn, you take all the fun out of it.

i only see one true solution here ,leave mama at home to cut the grass while you ride and drink cold beer ! :outdoor:

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/30EHI4S38u4

..put an IOA sticker on the back of it and you are ready to hit every restaurant within 25 miles !

.....no more more buffeting......just buffets !

Hell any smarter and i will send the Helmet out for a ride without me. Come to think of it this helmet is smarter than some riders i know.

I wonder if it is the helmet as well...so many buy helmets TOO LOOSE for their noggins....and then they want to wear them back on head like a ball cap rather than having the lid just over eyebrows so it is square on head....then they wear the straps loose.

When I had my halfie helmet (still have it but when I wore it and nothing else)....and especially with no windshield the air would get up under the edges and throw it all over if I was lazy and did not get it seated on the noggin properly with a snug chinstrap fit.

Over miles if I felt it hitting top of head...I adjusted position....or used windshield more. Just like wind will buffet your body without windshield MUCH MORE with loose clothing than tight. Get your leather jacket too large so it is loose and comfy....and it will catch air and have same effect. You need them large enough to give you range of motion and comfort without being baggy or flappy in wind.

Check helmet fit and position.........try the lowers or taller windshield. Only other fix is have rider adjust where and how her head is held... all of that makes difference.

All else fails...leave her home. After a couple times with you having fun without her she will stop complaining about wind on her helmet. LOL