Indian Motorcycle Community

Bear At 10 Yards...

Some of you know I am avid outdoorsman...I enjoy hunting and canoeing more than most everything else in my life except my family. More than vettes, more than photography, more than fishing, more than Indian motorcycles. Yes...hunting especially with traditional or primitive archery equipment is only challenged by upland hunting with an old side by side 20q over a versatile hunting dog.

Anyhow....17 years ago I went to northern Saskatchewan on a bear hunt...lots of bears...lots of anxiety....no bear brought home but was one of the best hunts I had ever been on because of the people, the location, and the plethora of wildlife though I returned empty handed. I vowed to return one day and redeem myself when I was more experience...and after facing down wild boar in spot and stalk situations a few years and a host of other life adventures both professionally and personally...I finally was able to go this year with all the stars aligning (stars of work, wife and checkbook). LOL

Any how I went to northern Saskatchewan again...near Carrot River once again and hunted for 6 days with my recurve and some wooden arrows I built out of douglas fir shafts the week prior tipped with hand sharpened broadheads and with turkey feathers for the fletching.

The result of 6 hard days of hunting over 13 miles back in the bush...was a nice bear on my last day though I passed a couple others during the week.

The bear ended up with 19' skull (green) and weight of 306 lbs...and it had no fat on it other than about a 1/4 inch on each haunch in area about size of hand....so guessing the bear was well over 400-450# in its prime coat and fat in lat Fall before hibernation. Bear was down in 10-15 seconds and heard it crash in bush but no death bawl so did not go in after it immediately...walked out 3 miles to contact guide and get help as I knew we could not drag it out close enough for the quads ourselves and otherwise would need to cape it and quarter it in bush and pack it out on our backs.

Glad to be home but ecstatic with the results.... oh, and found out after recovery it was a dry sow that had kicked out her cubs already. From the head and some other absent but normally good indicators of it being a sow....we all thought it was boar from video and initial look once recovered. Big old sow...yellowing teeth that were wearing down..... Going to score head again and see if I can get our state biologists to age the bear with a tooth...as Canada stopped doing it a few years ago due to budget cuts.

411415121.jpg

411415113.jpg

411415114.jpg

411415065.jpg

411415045.jpg

• Like 1

Nice hunt and good story, Brock.

I've struggled enough with an old Bear Alaskan recurve bow to know you've got skills.

This is my opinion but that bear lookie better than you. You did good.

Cool, with a recurve to boot ! Way to go.

I knew a guy that went Kodiak bear hunting with a pistol, years ago, and they put him in a baited tree stand. When a monster showed up, he was afraid it would hear his heart beating. No way he would risk wounding it.

He stayed in the cabin the rest of the hunt drinking beer. Never again, he said. :rotfl:

Congratulations and good for you! Looks great and enjoy the meat.

• Like 1

Meat is murder ....

Damned Californian..... may the soy-bears hunt you down.

:rotfl:

• Like 2

My oldest daughter got on a vegetarian kick for a few years... the wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner one year during this time and was served soy-turkey... tasted like cardboard.. and I was sick afterward for a couple of days. Nasty shit that.

Ken your a better man than me ,i would serve real food and if my son didnt like it i would point his ass towards the door .

• Like 1

Ken your a better man than me ,i would serve real food and if my son didnt like it i would point his ass towards the door .

We were at her house.... I tried it with some trepidation... didn't like it.... NOT AT ALL.

My daughter has regained her sense these days... and eats meat.

• Like 1

My daughter did that too....goes to these shows and they hand out PETA and anti hunting shit. She bought into it.... So told her...you can eat grass but we are not cooking extra food for you. You can eat salad or whatever vegetables we eat or get your own. It lasted about a month and we had a family cookout and I was smoking venison sausage and tenderloins and then grilled ribeye steaks, corn, asparagus, etc...and had jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon.

Halfway through meal she dumped her ruffage in garbage and grabbed a big medium rare steak and just started eating and chewing each bite like 50 times as to not miss any flavor. She never did that shit again. LOL

• Like 4

This is my opinion but that bear lookie better than you. You did good.

I would have never thought you wuz into bestiality, and we don't want to hear bout your favorite ewe "Lucy" either :no:

• Like 1

Ron - I gotta lot of respect for a hunter who respects the animal enough to hunt it with tools made with your own hands. Sorta evens the odds.

• Like 1

Brock you are the man. I admire your respect for the animal and the hunt. Not seen these days much. You should guide and teach these things to young people. All they think of is a high powered rifle with a big scope.

• Like 2

Great story! Congrats on a successful hunt! :buttrock:

Brock you are the man. I admire your respect for the animal and the hunt. Not seen these days much. You should guide and teach these things to young people. All they think of is a high powered rifle with a big scope.

Hey! Nothing wrong with high-powered rifles with big scopes. :no::grin:

99% of hunters I know have respect for the prey and the environment. Like with everything else, you always have a few bad ones.

Congratulations and good for you! Looks great and enjoy the meat.

This Saturday morning I will be cooking a pack of bacon in an old cast iron skillet....after we make a couple BLTs the remaining bacon will be put on paper towels as I heat the grease hotter and then put in a bear roast that has marinated in sesame oil and teriyaki sauce overnight. I will sear it on all sides completely so it is crusty looking and then set it in the crock pot or a dutch oven. Then will cook up some mushrooms, onions and green bell peppers in the same grease and renderings.....putting them in the pot after they carmalize. Then going to add some Cream of Mushroom soup, some beef stock, salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaves, new red potatoes.....put water about half way up...put on lid and let it slow cook all day long until internal temp of meat is 170* minimum since bears, like pigs and mountain lions, can have trichinosis and the only sure way of killing the parasite is through cooking over 160*. Once done will pull roast and vegetables out....and put some corn starch and flower in the juices and make some gravy out of part of it.

After I drop the wife, both daughters off at Cruise Terminal here in Charleston to meet her sister in law and 5 of her cousins.....then that afternoon myself, my brother in law and my son in law are going to eat bear stew over rice with cold beers and bourbon watching a movie......while the women are away the next 5 days on the cruise ship. :)

• Like 2

Good for you, Brock. It all sounds good.....except for the mushrooms. :no:

• Like 1

hahahahahaha mushrooms put lead in your pencil!!!!!

Edited by Brock

Depends on a few things...like most animals. Taste is product of their diet, their hormone levels, and how they were taken care of immediately after the shot before being eaten.

Bears that are garbage dump bears are nasty. Bears that eat fish (dead or alive) taste bad. Male bears (boars) that are in the RUT...taste bad. Femail bears (sows) that are nursing can be tough.

Bears that the meat was not cooled quickly as the hide and fat tends to retain heat longer than a white tail...will taste strong and gamey if not cooled quickly and processed in reasonable time.

Bears that are chased by dogs (same for deer, mountain lions, hogs, etc) will taste stronger due to the chemicals and hormones in body from the fight-flight conditioning.

I have had bear meat before ...last one was from young boar pre-rut that was feeding 95% on grasses and berries....and rest on oats soaked in deep fryer grease and a little bit of beaver carcass. Tasted awesome. This bear should be grass and berry fed mostly as well...even though older.

Bear meat has marbling in the meat like beef but also has a layer on outside that is really tallow. Recommend removing 100% of the tallow from outside of muscles before cooking.

Depends on a few things...like most animals. Taste is product of their diet, their hormone levels, and how they were taken care of immediately after the shot before being eaten.

Bears that are garbage dump bears are nasty. Bears that eat fish (dead or alive) taste bad. Male bears (boars) that are in the RUT...taste bad. Femail bears (sows) that are nursing can be tough.

Bears that the meat was not cooled quickly as the hide and fat tends to retain heat longer than a white tail...will taste strong and gamey if not cooled quickly and processed in reasonable time.

Bears that are chased by dogs (same for deer, mountain lions, hogs, etc) will taste stronger due to the chemicals and hormones in body from the fight-flight conditioning.

I have had bear meat before ...last one was from young boar pre-rut that was feeding 95% on grasses and berries....and rest on oats soaked in deep fryer grease and a little bit of beaver carcass. Tasted awesome. This bear should be grass and berry fed mostly as well...even though older.

Bear meat has marbling in the meat like beef but also has a layer on outside that is really tallow. Recommend removing 100% of the tallow from outside of muscles before cooking.

Bar fat is good for greasing the axles on your Indian, and as a hair restorer when ya start to go bald. Just sayin ...