Indian Motorcycle Community

Is An Indian Chief Vintage To Much For A New Rider?

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I would like your experience to answer. First I'll start with a little about me. I'm 40 yo 6'4" and on the chunky side. Never ridden a motorcycle in my life. I have always loved the indians, but never had the chance to get one, well now I do. I am looking into taking a riding corse first, but I have been told by several people that I should not get this as my first bike. I wanted to get others thoughts on this. Is this really a difficult motorcycle to learn on? or does it mostly depend on the riders maturity. I hate the idea of riding around on a smaller bike for a couple years to learn and loose this opportunity to own an indian. i look forward to your input.

It's a hard one for me to answer. I have been riding since I was a kid.

My son took the riding class and I still won't let him ride mine and he is 23.

If it was me, I would buy a used Honda Rebel, 250-500 and get some seat time in first. Just to get used to the road and handling. I hear you can sell them for what you buy them for a few months later.

I hadn't ridden regularly in 30 years when I bought my '02 Chief. It was a little too much for me at first although I practiced plenty, especially at low speed maneuvers, starting, stopping, etc. It took me a while before I started feeling comfortable on such a big bike. My new Dark Horse feels more nimble, probably due to better frame geometry, modern technology and a lower center of gravity but I still don't think I'd classify it as a beginner's bike.

Some people have a knack for riding and pick up things quicker than others and I know the desire to start off with what you want is strong. But, like the other guys said, especially if you've never ridden, it would be worth your while to start off with something a little smaller until you master the basics and start feeling comfortable. It will make owning a Chief that much more pleasurable when you get it and not nearly as intimidating.

Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear but from my perspective, the guys have given sound advice.

• Like 2

Agree. Get a small 250 or something first. You can learn the basics and gain confidence which is super important!

Take the rider course and pick up a cheap smaller bike ride and rude some more, when you start to develop some sklls , rent a sporty , then. Dyna then a fat boy or road King , when you feel confident on the King. Go get you and Indian

Ya I agree with what has been said.

Take the rider course and pick up a cheap smaller bike ride and rude some more, when you start to develop some sklls , rent a sporty , then. Dyna then a fat boy or road King , when you feel confident on the King. Go get you and Indian

Doesn't the rude part come after being on this forum for a while? Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Like 2

I was 12 years old and learned to ride on a worn out 57 rigid panhead. You learn quick on something like that.

At 6'4, get a mid size,used jap cruiser. Do several thousand miles on it and figure it all out....

Then......get a Chief

If you think u will feel like a dork riding--- after the class get a dirt street type bike 250cc or so and hit the trails for the summer then go from somthing like a sporty or scout on the street then on to a chief if chief is what u want.

• Like 1

I agree with getting a cheap used bike. If/when you drop it you won't feel as bad dropping a $3,0000 bike as a it will feel dropping a $20,000+ bike.

If you are chunky I'd go with a Honda shadow instead of a rebel, a rebel may not have enough power. Go with something like a 750. The 600 is top heavy, the 750 feels more like a chief.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Never ridden a motorcycle in my life.

I would suggest getting a used dirt bike or enduro. Learn to ride off road where you are safe from cars ... falling on dirt hurts a lot less.

Once you get to the point that shifting, breaking and such are second nature then move to the streets.

• Like 2

I would suggest getting a used dirt bike or enduro. Learn to ride off road where you are safe from cars ... falling on dirt hurts a lot less.

Once you get to the point that once you get to the point that shifting, breaking and such are second nature then move to the streets.

Amen !!!

Now all you guys make me feel awful. Most of us all rode when we were kids, so it's like getting back into the saddle, but before I got my first Indian , I was out at the West coast visiting and came back to Calgary telling my wife that my nephew had a Harley and I wanted one too. She told me that if I was getting a Harley she wanted one as well. I told her OK , but she would have to take a riding course first and that I would take it with her so she had support. I remember her coming home in tears some days. To make a long story short.... I bought an Indian and 2 months later a Heritage Softail Classic showed up on our doorstep. Her first ever bike was the Harley , she's 5'7" . Once you get the wheels turning it rides itself, She's only dropped it twice, good thing there's crash bars ;-) Buy the Indian buddy , Get er done . The new Indians ( Polaris) are so easy .

• Like 2

I agree with getting a cheap used bike. If/when you drop it you won't feel as bad dropping a $3,0000 bike as a it will feel dropping a $20,000+ bike.

If you are chunky I'd go with a Honda shadow instead of a rebel, a rebel may not have enough power. Go with something like a 750. The 600 is top heavy, the 750 feels more like a chief.

This! A mid sized Honda like a Shadow or similar. You are a bit too big for a rebel. If you get a deal on one you can sell it in 6 months for about what you paid.

I can tell you many stories about guys buying too much bike to start, none have a happy ending. Don't let your ego get in the way of common sense. These are powerful, heavy, motorcycles and you can get hurt.

Now all you guys make me feel awful. Most of us all rode when we were kids, so it's like getting back into the saddle, but before I got my first Indian , I was out at the West coast visiting and came back to Calgary telling my wife that my nephew had a Harley and I wanted one too. She told me that if I was getting a Harley she wanted one as well. I told her OK , but she would have to take a riding course first and that I would take it with her so she had support. I remember her coming home in tears some days. To make a long story short.... I bought an Indian and 2 months later a Heritage Softail Classic showed up on our doorstep. Her first ever bike was the Harley , she's 5'7" . Once you get the wheels turning it rides itself, She's only dropped it twice, good thing there's crash bars ;-) Buy the Indian buddy , Get er done . The new Indians ( Polaris) are so easy .

Agree with Ron here...

Buy the Indian now.

Fugetabout the rice toys.

You rode a bicycle?

You rode a horse?

You can ride that Indian too.

Take all the Riders courses for a few weeks and mess up their bikes.

Buy the Indian now as an incentive to learn.

You're in New Mexico one of the most unpopulated states.

I say go for it now.

• Like 3

You're in New Mexico one of the most unpopulated states.

That maybe so but also the most drunk drivers per capita ...

I second thought ... just jump out a buy a big twin.
Who needs to have the basic skills covered to ride one.

What could go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSrEIuOwX4

Should be good with MSF course training and a few ride along buddies.

There's a lot of desert out there.

Depends on the individual.

If you w8 till your 80 to learn, you will have problems even with a moped or Vespa.

Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki all three make 250cc beginner bikes. Kawasaki used to make a 500cc Vulcan cruiser and Honda used to make the VLX 600 cruiser. Good used examples of any of these are out there.