Indian Motorcycle Community

Roads To Ride

I'm starting to look at my itinerary for my September trip from Colorado to Maine.

Between here and there - any suggestions on nice picturesque locations to see or roads to ride?

Nothing in Ohio.....stay on the freeway and get through as quickly as possible. Your only memorable experience will probably be a traffic ticket.

• Like 1

Ken,

just a thought, maybe cool to ride north into WY and SODAK and northern MN, WI , MI and cut across Canada Eh? toward Maine. light on the traffic, heavy on the scenery and..."cripes da fish fry's and cold beer"

• Like 4

The North Shore of Lake Superior from Duluth to Thunder Bay is stunning that time of year, but then you gotta go through Canada eh? The south shore is nice, especially if you take a side trip to Copper Harbor while in the Upper Peninsula of MI. A bit out of route to go from Colorado to Maine, but well worth the trip doncha know....

Do it as a loop, northern through MN, the MI UP, through Canada to ME, then drop down on the way home, basically circling the Great Lakes.

• Like 1

You need to make a loop south at the end of september and come hang out at the barn. 3 or 4 days of good fun and hospitality for all.

Jeff

• Like 1

Rt. 30... The Lincoln Highway...

Actually I believe it's US-50 that's the Lincoln Highway. I've done that from Kansas all the way out to Sacramento CA, and will probably to the eastern part on my way home from Maine.

Ken,

just a thought, maybe cool to ride north into WY and SODAK and northern MN, WI , MI and cut across Canada Eh? toward Maine. light on the traffic, heavy on the scenery and..."cripes da fish fry's and cold beer"

Unfortunately Canada is not a possibility - you need a passport to return to the US, and mine is way out of date.

Actually I believe it's US-50 that's the Lincoln Highway. I've done that from Kansas all the way out to Sacramento CA, and will probably to the eastern part on my way home from Maine.

Unfortunately Canada is not a possibility - you need a passport to return to the US, and mine is way out of date.

WTF? You can't be bothered to get a passport? Get with the program man - I had to get a passport to go to 4 IRIPs - you can get off your fat ass and get one to come up here. :nod:

• Like 1

WTF? You can't be bothered to get a passport? Get with the program man - I had to get a passport to go to 4 IRIPs - you can get off your fat ass and get one to come up here. :nod:

That's true. The reason that I've not renewed my passport is that I'm too fkn lazy to get around to it.

You can also apply at the DMV for an 'Enhanced License' that has an encrypted chip embedded with your personal

info and is totally accessible to law enforcement===border patrol===DHS data bases.

That 'Enhanced License' should also cost less than a passport & is much handier to carry with you.

You will need a birth certificate & social security card along with you current driver's license.

I just finally applied for mine last week and with it in hand, I can return to my own country from Canada at will.

Funny thing, the last time I returned to the US with just a drivers license was a huge hassle, took hours and

was told I could not do it again under any circumstances without an 'Enhanced License' or Passport.

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99
  • Like 1

You can also apply at the DMV for an 'Enhanced License' that has an encrypted chip embedded with your personal

info and is totally accessible to law enforcement===border patrol===DHS data bases.

That 'Enhanced License' should also cost less than a passport & is much handier to carry with you.

You will need a birth certificate & social security card along with you current driver's license.

I just finally applied for mine last week and with it in hand, I can return to my own country from Canada at will.

Funny thing, the last time I returned to the US with just a drivers license was a huge hassle, took hours and

was told I could not do it again under any circumstances without an 'Enhanced License' or Passport.

It's been more than 3 decades since I've ventured into the beauty that lies north of our border, and it's definitely time to go back. I just got to stop making excuses and get off my ass to make it happen.

Actually I believe it's US-50 that's the Lincoln Highway. I've done that from Kansas all the way out to Sacramento CA, and will probably to the eastern part on my way home from .

If you rode the Lincoln Highway through Ohio or PA... It was US 30.... It's different route numbers in different states...

• Like 1

If you rode the Lincoln Highway through Ohio or PA... It was US 30.... It's different route numbers in different states...

I did not know that.

Didn't the original Lincoln Highway start in NYC someplace? I think on the west end it went out to SF.

Rte 50 also goes through St. Louis, and around my area . We have taken it West ,and to the Indiana border. It is kind of a roll through small towns, and the road is in really good shape

If that's your route give me a call and we can raise a few.

• Like 1

I'm starting to look at my itinerary for my September trip from Colorado to Maine.

Between here and there - any suggestions on nice picturesque locations to see or roads to ride?

this site is often helpful...I use it when I'm bored with just getting lost...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/info/#sthash.GMUA5jWP.dpbs

2014-top-5-mw.png

Edited by harleynot

Google maps lists both I-80 and I-70 as reasonable choices. I'd take 70 for the following reasons:

1. Crossing Nebraska is just as boring as crossing Kansas. Just replace wheat fields with corn.

2. Crossing Missouri is much more interesting than crossing Iowa.

3. I-80 from Chicago to Cleveland is to be avoided like the plague.

Alternate routes to I-70 aren't many but I'll list my favorite:

1. US24 from Manhattan to Lawrence is nicer than the interstate.

2. Consider I-435 to bypass Kansas City.

3. I much prefer US50 through Missouri.

4. Same for Indiana and Ohio.

From Cincinnati to Cleveland, there are many choices. I prefer US42. I can also recommend Cuyahoga Valley National Park as a place to visit. Once past Cleveland, US20 beats the interstate all to hell. From Buffalo, I'd head up to Niagara Falls and continue on to Lake Ontario. Follow NY18 to the Lake Ontario State Pkwy to NY390 and drop down to NY104, then NY3 and NY49 past Oneida Lake. Pick up NY8 and take it across the Adirondacks to Lake George. From there, head north to Ticonderoga and take the ferry into Vermont. From there, consider VT73 all the way across the Green Mtns. From there, there are a number of routes north to Montpelier. Pick one. From there, get on US302 and get off at NH112, the Kancamagus Hwy. across the Whtie Mtns. From Conway, NH, get back on US302 and, joila, you're in Maine. Just like that!

It's been more than 3 decades since I've ventured into the beauty that lies north of our border, and it's definitely time to go back. I just got to stop making excuses and get off my ass to make it happen.

Passport cost me $240 I think but the Washington state enhanced drivers license is $25 which is good for Canada & Mexico. I would have to guess Colorado is probably the same. Just a trip to DOL and back. Well in Washington the damn places are usually packed with people so it could involve a 3 day trip just to get out of there.

That's true. The reason that I've not renewed my passport is that I'm too fkn lazy to get around to it.

Well that's different. I can totally understand that!

Passport cost me $240 I think but the Washington state enhanced drivers license is $25 which is good for Canada & Mexico. I would have to guess Colorado is probably the same. Just a trip to DOL and back. Well in Washington the damn places are usually packed with people so it could involve a 3 day trip just to get out of there.

Holy fkg crap!! $240. I hope it's at least good for 10 years at that price.

Holy fkg crap!! $240. I hope it's at least good for 10 years at that price.

The government needs the money.....

Yeah. The gooberment is now taking in the most tax revenues in history and they want more.

The founding fathers went to war over a 3% tax increase

America founded by generous and now run by idiots !

• Like 2