Indian Motorcycle Community

Indian Motocycle Bloodlines

How long has the Indian Motorcycle been in your familys heritage?

My dad used to hill climb an Indian back in the early 1940's.

About 35 years ago he showed me the place they used to have tournaments,

which is a very steep hilly area down by the river. It is all overgrown with trees now

but you can still see the general layout where it used to happen. I always go for a ride past this special place

as a tribute to the past. There is a little rest area right at the base of the hills but no mention of what actually took

place there. Aside from my dad and all the others involved at the time, I don't think anyone knows what ever existed there.

Knowing that my father used to ride an Indian way back then was the whole attraction of the brand for me.

If it wasn't for pops old hill climbing stories, I doubt I would be sitting on an Indian today.

OK you old fuckers….lets hear them stories. :grin:

Old Fuckers :ooh2: well I guess that includes me. Only thing I got to add is my dad use to have on of them Indian 4 cyl back in the day. Course that would be before I was a born. But I do remember him riding in course back then he was carrying me around in his ball sack. :rotfl:

• Like 1

According to my father, his father (my grandfather) had a mid to late teens Indian. He was a farmer / school teacher in Wartrace TN and would ride his Indian into town to teach school. Later after he moved to Detroit to work for Henry Ford (at 5x the salary he made as a teacher) he would ride his Indian around the neighborhood. I have no idea whatever happened to that bike - I never saw it and my grandfather, who was a pretty gruff and unfriendly guy, never said anything to me about it.

My father had an Indian after WW2 when he got out of the service. He stripped it down and hot-rodded it. I took my first ride on a motorcycle on that bike - I was 2 weeks old at the time. My parents strapped me in between them and off they went. Apparently I slept really good when they took me for rides. I vaguely remember that bike being around the house when I was growing up - but I have more memories of riding with my father on his Matchless.

My father died in 2002 and he left me some money. With that money I bought my 2003 Gilroy Chief.

first-motorcycle-s_zps43a0add3.jpg

Edited by KenB
  • Like 2

OK....I was not allowed to have a motorcycle, as a kid, in Toronto and later new york city metro area. After hitchhiking west in summer of 1974, got into cal poly university on central coast of californi. At Poly [and 23 yrs old] I learned to ride a dirt bike while living in dormitory. Later after graduation I talked my dad into backing me in the purchase of a brand new BMW R60/7. 1977 the same year HD introduced (willy g's) XLCR cafe racer style bike. No way dad would have gone for an XLCR.

Did I get that HD model designation correct.

cheers

:)

Have HDs and Indians in my family's history going back to Ireland where my great aunt Molly McGrath rode an HD with a sidecar as her daily rider and my grandfather riding Indians during the war. According to him, anyone could ride an HD. It took a gentleman to ride an Indian.

• Like 6

Have HDs and Indians in my family's history going back to Ireland where my great aunt Molly McGrath rode an HD with a sidecar as her daily rider and my grandfather riding Indians during the war. According to him, anyone could ride an HD. It took a gentleman to ride an Indian.

Ok... how did you end up on one?

• Like 1

Grandfather had a 1916 Roadmaster back in 1918, but at the age of 18 decided he wanted to farm, so he traded the Indian for a tractor. I've tried to track it down, to no avail though.

Dad rode them as a teenager & rode them as an MP.... Funny thing is he rode English & rice when he got older, but he loves to talk to me about mine

• Like 1

My family were Irish rebels, on the old mans side many hanged by the Btits, the ones that made it here became saloon owners and cops, no heritage on bikes, moms side real American injuns and gangsters , no info on riding , my dad was a father at 17, no bike history.

I always had a thing for bikes and cars, dad bought me a used Honda 50 for my 9th b day in '70 , I'd collect pop bottles earn 4 bits and ( enough for a tank of gas and a few sodas and spend all day riding trails with a bunch of other miniature hoodlums

Moves up to an Honda XL 100 and then raced motocross on Suzuki RM 125 and then 250's.

First street bike was a Kawasaki KZ 900 in '79

Then a Honda 1100 Intersepter , a Harley Softail , had two friends legs in accidents ( drunk drivers).

Sold the bike , moved the high country and went 20 years without a street bike , n

Visited my brother in Chicago and rode his Fat Boy and forgot how much I missed it, decided to buy a bike for my 50th b day 5 years ago, was looking at Fat Boys and saw my Spirit listed on eBay , thought it looked better then any Harley I ever saw , it had no bids so I threw out the minimum a few seconds before it ended and got it , first I saw it was when the was pushed off the shipping truck at my mechanic shop

Had a few minor things done , it's been a great bike , I will probably also get either a 2000 Chief or a new Darkhorse this summer

Edited by Airpirate

Ok... how did you end up on one?

Their standards fell with Gilroy's...didn't you see that?

• Like 2

Their standards fells with Gilroy...didn't you see that?

Naturally - that's when I bought one.

• Like 1

Naturally - that's when I bought one.

I bought four. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Some didn't realise their standards would slip that much.

• Like 3

Back in the late 60's into the 1970's my dad and I road the Jap scramblers,and road the trails /or old forestry roads with a group here in the mountains of N.C.I also raced for a few years on the moto-tracks around here.

My grandpa,on my dads side of the family ,bought and road a new 1918 Pope.I have a pic of him and his brother with that bike.

Its rather funny that my dad and I have had dozens of HD's. We found them in barns, buildings, abandoned, in sheds, basements and old houses from the 60's through the 80's. At one time we had 28 Harleys in our barn that we had found and bought. The thing is we never found an old Indian, or had one presented to us.

My first Indian was a 46 frame, fork, and some odd parts I bought for $5 at a scrap metal yard in 1971 when I was 18. My first real Indian was the 03 T3 I bought in 2005.

• Like 1

I bought four. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Some didn't realise their standards would slip that much.

Maybe you're a slow learner? .... Just like the rest of us.

• Like 2

Maybe you're a slow learner? .... Just like the rest of us.

Yeah...

• Like 1

My Dad rode a motorcycle once. Here is how he said it went. He enlisted in 1954 and when he was at training camp one of the guys was riding around on an old suicide shift Harley. He asked my dad if he wanted to take it for a spin and he said sure. Well he dumped the clutch and the bike took off. He went straight through one of the tents out the other side and into a pit latrine. Those old bikes did not die so here he was in the pit trying to get away from the bike. Its still running slinging shit everywhere. His Sargeant major is on the edge screaming at him that he is on charge he was screaming back to go fuck himself. He ended up spending the weekend in the brig and that was the last time he rode a bike. He did go on to serve 26 years.

Al

• Like 9

My Dad rode a motorcycle once. Here is how he said it went. He enlisted in 1954 and when he was at training camp one of the guys was riding around on an old suicide shift Harley. He asked my dad if he wanted to take it for a spin and he said sure. Well he dumped the clutch and the bike took off. He went straight through one of the tents out the other side and into a pit latrine. Those old bikes did not die so here he was in the pit trying to get away from the bike. Its still running slinging shit everywhere. His Sargeant major is on the edge screaming at him that he is on charge he was screaming back to go fuck himself. He ended up spending the weekend in the brig and that was the last time he rode a bike. He did go on to serve 26 years.

Al

Best place to park one of those... :rotfl:

• Like 2

My grandfather had a two-tone red/creme '37 Scout my Dad used to ride all the time in the late 40's. He never rode again until I started riding dirt bikes in the early 70's. We always had Japanese bikes but I always liked the Indians......just could never afford one and never knew when they would be in business.