Indian Motorcycle Community

It's a way to get rid of full time workers with benefits and hire seasonal part time workers with no benefits. HD did the same thing in May 2013. Most companies do the same thing including Polaris/Victory/Indian. Here is a better article that explains it http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/03/12/harley-davidson-layoffs.html

"The last major round of layoffs at the plant occurred in May 2013, when Harley announced it would lay off 140 employees. At the time, the company was restructuring to create a more flexible workforce in order to adjust better to cyclical demand. The company laid off permanent employees and then hired "seasonal" workers who could help out during demand surges.

The recent layoff announcement in Kansas City is likely no different."

I believe they still have to provide benefits and health care to seasonal workers under Obamacare....

Really?

Even part timers?

This layoff is a cost savings at the bottom line or why do it at all?

Must be nice to have the summer off to ride, but wonder if they get called back after September.

The cost savings comes from laying the people off. They only have to provide it while they're employed.

The days of working for a company till retirement are quickly going away. They'll take the chance on getting rid of skilled workers,whom learned some hands on skills,to save on the bottom line.

Part time,or temp staff workers what ever u call them. Hmmm I feel for the floor supervisor.His/her job just got harder.

The days of working for a company till retirement are quickly going away. They'll take the chance on getting rid of skilled workers,whom learned some hands on skills,to save on the bottom line.

Part time,or temp staff workers what ever u call them. Hmmm I feel for the floor supervisor.His/her job just got harder.

Yep, same thing happening in the military. They're cutting people loose before they're eligible for a retirement and putting more inexperienced people in their places. There's a move afoot to drastically change the military retirement system too (reduced annuities, huge health care premium increases, extending the years to be eligible up to 25 years from 20 years, mandatory participation in a 401K in lieu of retirement pay, etc). Luckily, old guys like me will be grandfathered.

People in the civilian sector really need to start and continue contributing to an IRA or something similar if they don't want to be working until the day they drop.

Edited by dk007
  • Like 1

When 'they' shitcan these 'benefits' remember they are not 'gifts'.

Rather they are part and parcel of the total wage package agreed upon received for work done.

When they are eliminated through 'creative job restructuring' it's just a legal maneuver to pick your pocket.

The contract is essentially broken.

This is where creative CO0s earn their stripes.

• Like 1

:I-Agree[1]: You hit the head on the nail. The government considers retirements and Social Security as government gifts. They're not gifts when you work and pay for them. They're only gifts when they're given to people who have done nothing to earn them......but the government calls those "entitlements".

• Like 1

My best friend worked at AMD for a lot of years, and got laid off about a year ago. He then got a temp (contractor) job at another place, but now is contract is up and his current employer isn't renewing it. So next month he's starting at AMD again as a contractor.

This NWO of employment sucks. Glad I got out when i did.

I believe they still have to provide benefits and health care to seasonal workers under Obamacare....

I could be wrong but I think they don't have to provide health care if you work less than 30 or 29 hours and are part-time help.

When 'they' shitcan these 'benefits' remember they are not 'gifts'.

Rather they are part and parcel of the total wage package agreed upon received for work done.

When they are eliminated through 'creative job restructuring' it's just a legal maneuver to pick your pocket.

The contract is essentially broken.

This is where creative CO0s earn their stripes.

Yes they are benefits. Where I work they tell you how much they pay for your Health Care. The price it costs to cover each employee has gone up because of Obamacare and we get less coverage for the same cost. The company is paying the same 19,000.00 per year but we get less coverage through Blue Cross & Blue Shield. I have a what they term a high deductible heath savings account. I pay up to 4,000 deductible and any thing after than is paid in full no matter what it is. The change is, in 2008 when I had my lung cancer and they took a lung from me the deductible was 3 hundred dollars and they paid every thing after.

Edited by Vintageroger

These same companies also need to remember that health care costs for employees are something they must provide. Not every job is hazard free, like school teaching, etc. Some jobs have dangerous equipment or dust in the air that over a career causes serious health issues right about retirement time. Given those factors, who was responsible for causing that? BINGO--the employer.

Trust me, I know about what I speak. After working for over 35 years in a coal fired power generation plant, they are hazards aplenty. The health issues I know of in some of our retirees is only caused by this type industry, and the company should be held to pay for the health care costs. How is that for a benefit??

My bad.....did a little more research.

Starting in 2014 (but now delayed until 2015), health care benefits will be required of employers for all employees who are considered full-time. The government definition of full-time is anyone who works at least 30 hours per week or 120 days a year. So, I was in error about the part-time requirement, although it can be argued that anyone who only works 30 hours a week for 4 months of the year is really considered a "full-time" employee.

Employees that work less than 6 months annually or whose schedule cannot been reasonably determined to exceed 30 hours per week may be considered seasonal or variable hour employees and may be excluded from coverage.

..........if they'd bought PII with their 401k funds, they'd have been better off when HD f*cked 'em over with no KY?

Just remember Polaris does the same thing.

TRUE. Company board of directors are only really interested in the bottom line, so as long as it's so much cheaper to ship jobs overseas they'll continue to do so.

Less government regulation, lower business taxes, and possibly import tariffs would help.

only if they meet the hours per week requirement.

only if they meet the hours per week requirement.

Yeah, 30. Not sure how that's considered full-time.