Indian Motorcycle Community

Lack Of Interest In Victorys

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/barrettken/library/Indian

I was at the Colorado Motorcycle Expo yesterday. This is a HUGE show - maybe 3x bigger than any Easy Riders show I've been to. I hadn't gone in years and had forgotten how crowded it gets... A lot of MC's were there - the Banditos all arrived together - 300 - 400 of them walking in at once... which was impressive. The Hells Angles, Mongols, and Sons of Silence were also there along with a bunch of smaller clubs. No trouble at all of course.

Anyway I went because the local Indian dealer asked me to go and hang around their booth for a bit.

The dealer had a Sling Shot with custom paint set up at the front of the expo as a stand alone display. At their booth they had 2 Indians, a Vintage and a Chieftain, and 2 Victorys.. don't know the models... George's bike and Jane's bike I guess.

So NO ONE was looking at the Victorys - NO ONE. People would glance at them while walking over to see the Indians - and THAT'S where the crowd was. People were lining up to ask questions and talk to us about the Indians. The Victorys were just obstacles that were in the way.

Frankly the Victorys were wasted floor space. If the dealer had used all 4 spaces for Indians, plus brought in a couple more sales guys they could have gotten a lot more contacts and possibly sold some bikes at the show. Wasted opportunity on their part.

• Like 1

4 or the top 5 anyway. They're usually around at these shows. We have a COC in this state so there's never any trouble -- or at least there's never any trouble that I see.

Am not a fan of the "ness inspired" bikes either. But, I hope they develop them into something viable such as a potential race track operation for instance. Just don't want to see them drag down the Mothership too much.

21826365-us-coins-collection1.jpg

cheers

The very first yr the Victory's came out those were some ugly bikes, you don't find any around in stock trim today. Ness waas hired and both Polaris stock and Victory bikes started looking a lot better and started to sell. Hireing Ness saved there ass, now it's dragging them down, but that heaven they learned from there mistakes and didn't let Ness get involved with the Indian and especially thankful they learned from the mistakes of the first yr designers and got a new crew with the ability to take a fresh look but keep the heritage appeal.

Am not a fan of the "ness inspired" bikes either. But, I hope they develop them into something viable such as a potential race track operation for instance. Just don't want to see them drag down the Mothership too much.

21826365-us-coins-collection1.jpg

cheers

The are a good reliable bike they just need a face lift

From my point of view it doesn't seem like Polaris sees any need for the facelift. It's too late now anyway because Victory is known for the Jetson look.. It's their signature.

• Like 1

Ken, you must be mistaken. Victory is doing GREAT. They will be around forever. Polaris carried out the order of execution the day they acquired the Indian name. Will it be a slow natural death or will Polaris go with lethal injection? I think if they just leave it alone, Victory will commit suicide. They have been trying for 18 years. Victory needs new people on the engineering/design teams. Quick. My only hope is that Polaris doesn't try to move them to Indian. They have done this to a degree already.

• Like 1

You can nail a Boardwalk for about the same $$$ as a Scout...not bad.

HQWk6y4.jpg

I think it was wrong to use a Duck billed Platypus for a seat on this bike. Just my opinion.

Scientia-platypus-swimming.jpg

• Like 4

I think it was wrong to use a Duck billed Platypus for a seat on this bike. Just my opinion.

A bigger tank and Corbin seat & some saddlebags will solve that...new headlight & fairing ... maybe a tail light make over.

It's a decent ride with good giddyup at half the cost of a Chieftain.

• Like 1

.... this Victory model is only for Australian market :)

Not to mention that F'ugly rear fender. Damn is that awkward looking :smileypuking:

you realize how many design meeting it took to get final approval on that? Dozens. At the end the overall opinion was.... Man that's awesome. Sure winner.
  • Like 2

They are selling like "hotcakes" out here, I seen 2 of them on Sunday... that makes 4 I've seen on the road in 18 years :grin:

• Like 3

If they do go under and have a fire sale I would scoop one up. Remember when Buell went under they were selling them off brand new for $5000 up here. I still kick myself for not grabbing one.

Al

• Like 2

Victory Motorcycles......Performance or experimental Division ?

Polaris to Trademark Electric Victory Charger......

Polaris has filed a trademark for a 'Victory Charger,' potentially the first electric motorcycle it will produce since acquiring Brammo. 'Bad' Bart is seen lighting up the wheels of a Brammo Empulse above. It didnt take long for Polaris Industries to provide an inclination of its intentions for Brammo. Hot off the heels of the January 15 announcement that it had acquired Brammos electric motorcycle business, Polaris Industries filed a trademark for a Victory Charger on January 27, 2015. The trademark covers Electric motorcycles and structural parts thereof. No other details are available, but Polaris previously stated it plans to begin manufacturing electric motorcycles during the second half of 2015 in its Spirit Lake, Iowa facility.

Victory currently offers 10 base models in its 2015 lineup, all powered by its 1731cc Freedom 106 V-Twin. Parent company Polaris also owns the Indian Motorcycle Co., a business it acquired in 2011. Since the acquisition, it seems like the thrust of Polaris energy has been focused on re-launching the iconic brand while new developments at Victory have taken a back seat. Last year Victory offered 15 base models, but long-standing motorcycles like the Jackpot were nixed in 2015. An electric motorcycle might just be the catalyst Victory needs to reinvigorate the company.

The Victory Charger could also be Polaris answer to Harley-Davidsons LiveWire. Harley has been actively promoting its electric motorcycle with nation-wide tours and marketing campaigns. Though the LiveWire has been billed as a prototype, the consensus is the electric Harley will soon be a production model.

Brammo isnt the only electric vehicle company under Polaris umbrella. Polaris also owns Goupil, a French-based manufacturer that designs electric vehicles, as well as Global Electric Motorcars.

Heres the info Polaris filed for the Victory Charger with the US Trademark and Patent Office.

Word Mark VICTORY CHARGER

Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Electric motorcycles and structural parts therefor

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 86515128

Filing Date January 27, 2015

Current Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) Polaris Industries Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 2100 Highway 55 Medina MINNESOTA 55340

Attorney of Record Andrew S. Ehard

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

If they do go under and have a fire sale I would scoop one up. Remember when Buell went under they were selling them off brand new for $5000 up here. I still kick myself for not grabbing one.

Al

One? I wanted (2) of the larger ci models & couldn't even get close to one, they went fast down heah...

• Like 1

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/barrettken/library/Indian

I was at the Colorado Motorcycle Expo yesterday. This is a HUGE show - maybe 3x bigger than any Easy Riders show I've been to. I hadn't gone in years and had forgotten how crowded it gets... A lot of MC's were there - the Banditos all arrived together - 300 - 400 of them walking in at once... which was impressive. The Hells Angles, Mongols, and Sons of Silence were also there along with a bunch of smaller clubs. No trouble at all of course.

Anyway I went because the local Indian dealer asked me to go and hang around their booth for a bit.

The dealer had a Sling Shot with custom paint set up at the front of the expo as a stand alone display. At their booth they had 2 Indians, a Vintage and a Chieftain, and 2 Victorys.. don't know the models... George's bike and Jane's bike I guess.

So NO ONE was looking at the Victorys - NO ONE. People would glance at them while walking over to see the Indians - and THAT'S where the crowd was. People were lining up to ask questions and talk to us about the Indians. The Victorys were just obstacles that were in the way.

Frankly the Victorys were wasted floor space. If the dealer had used all 4 spaces for Indians, plus brought in a couple more sales guys they could have gotten a lot more contacts and possibly sold some bikes at the show. Wasted opportunity on their part.

I went to the Minneapolis show this weekend. Victory had visitors and a decent sales people. Indian was staffed well, though the Mies Outland people seemed far more outgoing than Twin Cities Indian. Young man from Mies even knew that Indian built a bike in 2002..

Indian had young ladies taking pictures of people sitting on bikes and then would email the pics to you. Some pics ended up with unknown people walking behind the bike. How hard would it be to put up a green screen? Email a pic of you sitting on a Chieftain in front of Mount Rushmore? Along the PCH? The Keys? Sedona? Is there any salespeople left in the world? Or just ordertakers...

I was treated well by all manufacturers except one.... I happen to even own some stock in that manufacturer.... Sat on every bike they had, even threatened to tip a couple over (reminded me of my experience at Indian Sturgis). Could not get a HD salesperson to talk to me. Far and away the most uncomfortable bikes I sat on....and that includes the BMW F series with their 47" seat height. I guess they don't want middle aged guys in their target market. Funny, I get the same experience at Twin Cities Harley Davidson....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Everyone mistakenly thinks of the Vision when they hear Victory. It just ain't so. My neighbor bought a 2014 Cross Country similar to the one pictured below. There have been a couple of times where his XC gets more attention than my Chieftain. Just today we stopped by a friend of his who went nuts talking about how great his bike looks. After a couple of minutes or so he said that my bike is nice too. A while back, a couple did a u-turn to check out his bike and hardly even looked at the Chieftain. She was riding a V Star 650 and he was on a Suzuki M109.

vp3800927_1.jpg

IMO, Victory is aimed at attracting the metric crowd, including those coming off sport bikes, with cutting edge looks and better performance, especially in the corners. Indian is aimed more at the Harley crowd with smaller cockpits and a more traditional "heritage" look and feel. Both are great bikes and you won't go wrong picking which ever one appeals to you.

• Like 2

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Everyone mistakenly thinks of the Vision when they hear Victory. It just ain't so. My neighbor bought a 2014 Cross Country similar to the one pictured below. There have been a couple of times where his XC gets more attention than my Chieftain. Just today we stopped by a friend of his who went nuts talking about how great his bike looks. After a couple of minutes or so he said that my bike is nice too. A while back, a couple did a u-turn to check out his bike and hardly even looked at the Chieftain. She was riding a V Star 650 and he was on a Suzuki M109.

vp3800927_1.jpg

IMO, Victory is aimed at attracting the metric crowd, including those coming off sport bikes, with cutting edge looks and better performance, especially in the corners. Indian is aimed more at the Harley crowd with smaller cockpits and a more traditional "heritage" look and feel. Both are great bikes and you won't go wrong picking which ever one appeals to you.

:rotfl:

Attachment-1_zps1e6a2b57.gif

Edited by harleynot
  • Like 1

Edited by harleynot