Indian Motorcycle Community

Kerry caught fudging

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

KERRY CAMPAIGN BACKTRACKS ON FIRST PURPLE HEART AWARD

Campaign Says May Have Been Self-Inflicted

Washington—In a reversal of their staunch defense of John Kerry's military service record, Kerry campaign officials were quoted by Fox News saying that it was indeed possible that John Kerry's first Purple Heart commendation was the result of an, unintentional, self-inflicted wound."

"GARRETT: And questions keep coming. For example, Kerry received a Purple Heart for wounds suffered on December 2, 1968. But in Kerry's own journal written nine days later, he writes he and his crew, quote, "hadn't been shot at yet," unquote. Kerry's campaign has said it is possible this first Purple Heart was awarded for an unintentional self-inflicted wound -- Brit." (Special Report with Brit Hume Aug.23, 2004)

A recent television ad from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth featured Doctor Louis Letson who treated Kerry for his minor injury and Grant Hibbard who served as John Kerry's direct commander on the mission where he claimed his medal. Both men say Kerry did not deserve the medal given the fact that Kerry received a very minor wound requiring no more than band-aid treatment and because the wound was not a direct result of hostile fire, a requirement for a Purple Heart commendation.

"When Grant Hibbard and Doctor Letson appeared in our ad, they were attacked and vilified by the Kerry campaign but now we see news reports saying the Kerry campaign is now sheepishly acknowledging that what we said was true," said Admiral Hoffmann, founder of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. "John Kerry's own journal reinforces the fact that neither Kerry nor his crew had seen hostile enemy action. John Kerry's first Purple Heart medal is based on fiction."

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth is calling on the Kerry campaign to apologize to Grant Hibbard and Doctor Letson as the men did nothing more than come forward to speak the truth about the situation involving John Kerry's first Purple Heart medal.

This is not the only incident in which Kerry campaign officials have changed their story concerning Kerry's prestigious war medals. The incident on the Bay Hap River in which Kerry received his third Purple Heart and Bronze Star has also been the subject of considerable waffling by Kerry officials. 

During the Democratic National Convention, Kerry used the Bay Hap River incident to suggest that he alone returned to rescue Jim Rassmann—a Special Forces solider—who was on Kerry's boat and was tossed into the river.  Kerry described this incident to the American people as "No man left behind."

However Kerry officials were forced to acknowledge that Kerry's boat actually left the scene when another swift boat—operating on the other side of the river—was damaged by an underwater mine.  Kerry officials now admit that Kerry's boat returned after several minutes to pull Rassmann from the water while three other swift boats remained on site to render assistance to the injured crew of the one damaged boat.  Campaign officials once claimed that Kerry returned to the scene under withering hostile fire to rescue Rassmann after all the other swift boats left.  But other accounts from eyewitnesses of that day confirm that the other boats stayed on site and that Kerry returned to the scene, facing no enemy fire, only seconds before another swift boat was preparing to retrieve Mr. Rassmann from the water.

"John Kerry's stories are falling apart," added Hoffmann. His statements don't even match up with his own journal entries.  We are going to continue telling the truth about John Kerry's military service record so that the American people can make their own decisions about John Kerry's qualifications to be the next Commander in Chief."

It seems that if Kerry hadn't popped Mr. Rassmann out of his boat because of his driving, he never would have had to be saved.

For us veterans the thought of self inflicting a wound in order to receive a purple heart is detestable.  Such a person would be dishonorable and a disgrace, especially when this person used the 3 purple heart rule to get out of country and not complete their tour of duty.  Of course what do I know, I was a Marine.

You know what bothers me most about all this mud slinging is people loose sight of what mattered some 30 plus years later. Both men served their country honorably in a time where there were alot of people were hiding and doing everything they could to stay out of it, dodging the draft etc. You have 2 men that were in the military one served in the states and one was in the thick of it, doesnt matter "They served their Country" weather it was behind a desk, behind a Camera, behind a M16, on the flight deck of a carrier, or in the seat of a fighter jet. Alot of times it was the luck of the draw on where you went......Main thing is neither man ran away, they went and did their job......

It sure wasn't  LUCK that got him 3 Purple hearts.

The 3 wounds and you are out rule. Got him OUT of Viet Nam.

One of them Was self Inflicted.

Now he recants.

Should have finished out his tour.

This is turning into NONSENCE - Kerry was in Nam - I salute him !! Bush was not - thats great he was not dodging the enemy !! I know people that were there and WISHED they were not !!

Everyone MUST let this go to bed !! lets get on with the campaign - who would run a better country !!

Personally - I feel we need a change - alot of things must be changed in this country ----- Jobs - need more, no more overseas, returns on investments - suck, our environment, safety, .....

Jersey

Everyone MUST let this go to bed !! lets get on with the campaign - who would run a better country !!

Kerry made it the center of his campaign... "I'm John Kerry and I'm reporting for duty."

If he did not want it to be so he should not have made it so.

It would be great if he would have chosen to make his Senate Record his campaign platform but he did not.

People make choices, this was his.

I wish he would talk more about his Senate records...

Starting with when he sat in front of the subcomittee ratting on his comrades in arms.

Up to his voting record against the military.

Against a powerful America. Strength in arms.

Judge him by his actions

Not his indecisive words

No way can I picture John Kerry as a Leader

Now the radical right is stooping lower than ever to discredit Kerry.  Now they have former POW's stating on record that Kerry's self-serving protesting caused their treatment to worsen.  

What is that radical right doing, amassing all those medal of honor winners, former POW's, and Navy Commanders and such against Kerry.  Why are all these people risking personal ruin to step out and denounce Kerry.  My only guess is because

IT'S TRUE AND THEY HAVE GUTS!

Like LR said, Kerry chose this avenue as his central platform.  In one of his speeches Kerry even said "Bring it on!"  Well, here it is......

Kerry was in Nam - I salute him !! Bush was not - thats great he was not dodging the enemy !! I know people that were there and WISHED they were not !!

self inflicting a wound is USUALLY considered dodging the enemy.

Using the 'three - hearts - out' rule to get out should also be considered dodging the enemy.

:uhoh:

You know if you look at his record he did serve nearly 4 years in the navy. He requested duty in Nam and was then sent for 10 or 12 weeks of PT Boat training prior to actually seeing action.

You can see most of his record on the Kerry campaign website under the biography section. Shows all his time in the Navy when he enlisted, not drafted by the way, where he was stationed etc. It makes for an interesting read.

I'm like everybody else here, lets get on with it and get to the issues at hand.

The issues at hand are that Kerry is not fit for duty.  According to him, his most valid credentials are is "War Record."  He lacks credentials.

:blues:  I find it sad that both side are slinging Bullshit! Kerry at least he was there! Bush did his flying time! But time to look at what you think will be best for all. Don't matter what side you take! I'm just tired of both sides trying to make the other look bad! Why can't we have people that talk about what is best for the country! Seems all we get is each side saying that the other is assholes and not fit to lead! I would love to see someone run that don't have to bury the other side! Need a party that is a common since party and not far left or far right! Seems both are trying to divide us down the middle. One say we are right and if you don't think so you are a dumb ass. I find it sad that anyone tryed to make anyone out to be a bad person because he didn't do this or do that! Why not say what they will do that is best for all and not try to bad mouth the other! Seems all is far left or far right anymore. How about being able to work things out that is best for everyone! Anyway, Just me. Later Royce

like someone said above...Kerry put this misery on himself...self inflicted once again. He should not have made his wartime duties the basis for his campaign, if he knew it would come out later. Not to mention he'd be yet one more president that thinks lying is ok..just like clinton. Some people should not be allowed into politics at all. I wish there were a national law that would ban folks who are caught lying from participating in politics....guess there'd be no one left though to run things....The Kennedys would have been out long ago. They are not america's royalty as they have been portayed...they are liers and cheats...look at skackle or whatever his name was ...blugeoned a girl to death with a golf club...they finally caught up with him too. Being a Kennedy cousin didn't help him.

Mud-slinging is the nature of the political process in this country. You should read what candidates said about each other two-hundred years ago. Even a physical 'caning' wasn't beyond the realm of possibilities. And for the record, 'character' was one of the central themes of almost every campaign in those days. Clinton tried to say it didn't matter. I say it does. Any man who would lie about his war service is unfit to be commander-in-chief, be he a republican or a democrat. I shudder to think where we'de be if Gore were president duing 9/11. If Clinton had displayed any courage to rest of the world, 9/11 probably wouldn't have happened at all! As for the rest of the world, I believe that those who refuse to respect us, had damn well better learn to fear us. Kill any who don't fall into one of those two catagories.

Archived