Indian Motorcycle Community

Slingshot Recall??

Ran into an acquaintance at the coffee shop this AM that has a Slingshot.

Says they're grounded.

Bad bearings in the steering rack.

Surprised hadn't seen it on here yet, course hadn't been here in a few, but nothing back four pages.

Had it out Sunday , doing twisties at 80, that have a 30mph sign, that I normally do at 55-70 on the bike. On an onramp right after that, began to master 'drifting' up it about 20 over the 25mph posted speed. These things are incredibly fun and a blast to drive. I've beaten the shit out of this more in 700 miles, than I have my Corvette over the last 10 years. By summer, I plan to have a Turbo or Supercharger in it, to up the fun factor.

They beat the crap out of these things with dealers testing them, etc, etc. interesting that this just came up. I'm on a slingshot forum, and no one has reported any issue ( you know, steering fails, over cliff, lol )

I've been getting emails and texts and calls from folks the last 24 hrs on this subject. Not sure if they are worried for me , or laughing .... sort of funny actually.

• Like 1

The closest I've come to a slingshot is the one sitting on the floor at the dealer. As far as Indian is concerned I think having the slingshot at the dealer is an unwanted distraction.

Interesting vehicle - good engineering. Not for me though.

The closest I've come to a slingshot is the one sitting on the floor at the dealer. As far as Indian is concerned I think having the slingshot at the dealer is an unwanted distraction.

Interesting vehicle - good engineering. Not for me though.

When I saw LoneStar Indian preparing to put one on the floor .. first thing I thought was "WTF"? They don't belong there or next to a Victory bike for that matter. IMHO, they belong on the showroom floor with the 4 wheelers and other toys along that route. I don't buy into the "it's a bike " theory, though due to most state laws, it's a trike, therefore a motorcycle. I see that value of this simply being .. no airbags and all that other govt BS. This product skirted the letter of the law in most states, just as the TRex and other vehicles have.

For me.. it's just a toy .. no more, no less. I think of it as a 3 wheeled, street legal go-cart.

• Like 1

And there's something wrong with that?

of course not.. but if you follow this subject on the 'net, there is a hostile environment receiving this .. most from the .. 'this is NOT a motorcycle " crowd..

Funny part is ... park it in front of a 'biker bar'.. hell , just stopping for gas.., and just the opposite happens..... sort of like parking an Indian near a bunch of HDs .. same effect.

Ran into an acquaintance at the coffee shop this AM that has a Slingshot.

Says they're grounded.

Bad bearings in the steering rack.

Thought this might interest you .. or .. your acquaintance

"My slingshot was the first of two units that reported problems with the steering rack. After a few days of some occasional odd clicking and knocking sounds, it failed completely in an underground parking structure, no doubt exacerbated by repeatedly turning the steering all the way from one side to the other. I notified Polaris immediately. Fortunately, as a writer for Motorcycle Consumer News, I’ve had access to the folks at Polaris working on the Slingshot as far back as this summer. So, at least I knew who to call. I’d covered the Polaris launch for another publication, so they knew who I was as well. Polaris jumped on the issue immediately, instructing my dealer to overnight the steering components to Minnesota so they could determine the cause.

Unfortunately I was in the dark for a couple of weeks as they did their investigation. I learned yesterday of the Stop Sale and Stop Ride notice to all of their dealers and the same day got a call from the product manager for Slingshot. We made arrangements to talk this morning and I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago. My original suspicion that a snap ring or circle clip holding the steering shaft into the rack and pinion, which incidentally was also one of the possibilities Polaris engineers considered, proved not to be correct. Instead, the problem was with the roller bearings inside of the rack itself. After ruling out a host of other potential causes (e.g. my running it into a curb, for instance), they discovered that the bearings in my rack were different than the bearings in other racks. They traced it to a set of bearings from their supplier that were not up to spec, which they suspect was due to incorrect heat treatment. The result was that these bearings were not able to withstand the force placed on them by the rack. Engineers know that the recipe for heating metals to achieve desired properties (how hot, how long, etc.) is critical. Doing it incorrectly, may result in bearings that look right but won’t function properly when put under stress.

Once they had the cause, they reassessed their design to make sure they were still confident in it. They were. The root cause was indeed, only the bearings. Next step was to come up with a remediation plan. Concern for customer safety is a big thing for Polaris, so the Stop Sale and Stop Ride notice is not a surprise. They are now putting a plan in place to find new, correct replacement parts and get them into the queue to go to dealers while creating and testing instructions for the dealer techs to follow to fully repair the problem on the units with the bad bearings. I suspect they may just decide to replace them all. Polaris has a goal of getting the instructions to dealers by January 21 with the parts available for order by January 22nd.

A couple of years ago, my wife experienced the catastrophic failure of a bevel box on a new, 2013, Morgan 3-wheeler. It took Morgan 5-6 weeks to identify the cause, then another 6 – 8 weeks to get the fix out to their dealer network, recalling all the affected machines. About 3 months in all. Polaris is ahead of that schedule and I know they have a goal of getting this wrapped up by the end of January. Which, if they are successful, would be extraordinary. It is indeed fortunate no one was injured in either of these failures."

I see you are from Texas. I read that Texas was one of the states that wouldn't register and tag the Slingshot as a motorcycle. Did they finally resolve that issue?

Not yet. Its going to legislation to get fixed. Dealers have to sell them to out of state customers. I put my dad, whom lives in AR, as co-owner. We titled it in AR.

Problem solved:)

yeah they belong in the powersport dealerships next to personal watercraft, snowmachines, and UTV/ATVs....my opinion. Not in a bike shop next to Indian for sure....and barely by Victory...as it is neither Indian nor Victory...but Polaris Power SPort product.

• Like 1

Local Dealer had their SS parked near a he new CanAm Spyder F3-s .. guess it's their muscle bike version . For fun I threw a leg over it in the showroom... thing was actually comfortable... everything on it was adjustable. Have to admit.. felt like I was sitting on a street legal 4 wheeler ( yes, I know there was only 1 tire behind me). Got to be a weird sensation through the twisties, sitting upright on this thing...

Which brought back memories: Last summer I was on the coast at the local fav' biker hangout when about a dozen spyders pulled up and attempted to park in front ... it was a multi minute fiasco where they stopped all west bound traffic trying to back in, direct each other.... complete gaggle f*ck.... i was laughing .. out loud .. to the point mama' asked me to STFU.... funniest thing I'd seen in-awhile.

Just thought I'd share ;)

• Like 1

So what club rides Spyders? The Hecks Angels? The Outlawyers? Sons of Mischeif?

• Like 5

So what club rides Spyders? The Hecks Angels? The Outlawyers? Sons of Mischeif?

LOL .. mix of geezers, chicks and ... vespa type dudes..