Indian Motorcycle Community

Polaris Acquires Electric Motorcycle Business From Brammo

MINNEAPOLIS (January 15, 2015) — Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) today announced it has acquired the electric motorcycle business of Brammo Inc. In addition, Polaris is acting as a leading investor in a recapitalization of Brammo that enables the company to focus exclusively on the design, development and integration of electric vehicle powertrains.

Going forward, the two companies will leverage Polaris’ leading position in the global powersports industry to market a variety of electric vehicles utilizing Brammo’s award winning lithium-ion electric drivetrain technology, while freeing Brammo to continue developing its innovative electric vehicle powertrains. Brammo supplies these products, including the Brammo Power™ battery pack and Brammo Power™ vehicle management systems, globally to a wide range of OEMs. As part of this transaction, Polaris will utilize the assets acquired to begin manufacturing electric motorcycles in the second half of 2015 at its Spirit Lake, IA facility.

“We have enjoyed our involvement with Brammo Motorcycles over the past three years, and our excitement about their industry-leading lithium-ion electric drivetrain technology has increased commensurate with their improvements in cost and performance. Polaris and Brammo share a goal of adding the most advanced and highest capability electric solutions to Polaris’ portfolio of leading powersports products,” said Scott Wine, Polaris Chairman and CEO. The agreement allows both companies to be more agile during the development cycle with clear accountability toward selling products that exemplify Polaris’ standard for delivering world class vehicles.

Polaris has been a strategic investor and partner with Brammo since 2011. During that time, the companies have collaborated on a number of projects in motorcycles, off-road and on-road vehicles. “Today’s announcement strengthens not only Polaris’ commitment to bringing our consumers lithium-ion electric solutions, but also this partnership’s ability to continue innovating and developing leading electric drivetrain technology,” said Wine. “We anticipate a return on these investments and believe the new alignment brings us that much closer to delivering world-class electric solutions across our products.”

Brammo has designed and developed numerous electric vehicles, including the award-winning Enertia and Empulse motorcycles. Testifying to its capabilities and technology, Brammo motorcycles have won a number of awards including: 2013 Playboy “Motorcycle of Year” and “Best Electric” (Empulse R), 2012 GQ “Best Stuff of the Year” (Empulse), 2011 Popular Science “Best of What’s New” (Empulse), 2011 Motorcycle.com “Best of 2011” and a 2010 Silver Edison Award. In addition, Brammo’s motorcycles have won numerous racing championships including the 2013 FIM eRR North American World Cup Champion and 2012 TTXGP World Championship.

• Like 6

Well... There you go. Now we know the new Indian Four will be powered by four batteries....

• Like 4

Well... There you go. Now we know the new Indian Four will be powered by four batteries....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its hard to be cool when you ride a brammo...

Does it have a radiator?

Nope, just a canteen on the desert model.

Hi,

As long as it will hit 100 MPH - I'm in!!!

\/ Say 110mph in the specs page

http://www.brammo.com/empulse_specifications/

Motor Motor Type Permanent Magnet AC (PMAC) – Empulse

Parker GVM IPM – Empulse R Motor Controller Sevcon Gen 4, Size 6 (650A peak) Peak Motor Power 40kW, @ 6,000 rpm (54 hp) – Empulse

40kW, @ 4,500 rpm (54 hp) – Empulse R Peak Torque 63Nm (46.5 foot pounds) – Empulse

90Nm (66 foot pounds) – Empulse R Final Drive Direct Chain Drive (14/48) 520 O-ring chain Transmission IET™ 6 speed gearbox with multi-plate, hydraulic activated wet clutch. Emissions None Battery Pack Battery Type Brammo Power™ BPM15/90 Lithium-Ion (NCM Chemistry) Battery Pack Capacity 9.31 kWh (nominal), 10.2 kWh (max) Battery Pack Voltage 103.6 V (nominal), 117.6 Vdc (max) Recharge Time 2.0 hrs (typical, Level II charging from 20 to 80% SOC)

3.5 hrs (maximum, Level II charging from 0 to 100% SOC)

8.0 hrs (maximum, Level I charging from 0 to 100% SOC) Battery Life 1,500 cycles (approx.100,000 miles) to 80% initial capacity Performance Max Speed 110 mph / 177 km/h Driving Range City: 128 miles* / 206 km

Highway: 58 miles** / 93 km

Combined: 80 miles*** / 129 km

*SAE City Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles

(variable speed, 19 mph / 30km/h average)

**SAE Highway / Constant Speed Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles

(70 mph / 113 km/h sustained)

*** SAE Highway Commuting Cycle (.5 City weighting, .5 Highway weighting)

Regenerative Braking Under deceleration, energy is returned to the battery system to both extend driving range and provide familiar rider feedback. Data Collection Brammo DDC™ (Dynamic Data Collection) records key motorcycle parameters at 1Hz (1 sample/second) for analysis and service support. Key Components Frame Brammo E-Beam Aluminum, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy Sub-Frame Tubular Steel, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy Swing Arm Tubular Steel, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy Suspension – Front Fully Adjustable 43mm Marzocchi Forks

(Empulse uses Semi-Adjustable 43mm Marzocchi Forks) Suspension – Rear Fully Adjustable Sachs Shock (Empulse uses Semi-Adjustable Sachs Shocks) Brakes – Front Dual 310mm Brembo floating disk with twin four piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Calipers, Radial Mount. Brakes – Rear Brembo single disk with dual piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Caliper Wheels – Front / Back 17” x 3.5” Marchesini / 17” x 5.5” Marchesini Tires – Front / Back Continental 120-70 ZR17, 58W / 180-55 ZR17, 73W Instrumentation LCD display; speed, tach, odometer, gear position, energy consumption, battery status, estimated range and system status Dimensions Weight 460 lbs / 213 kg Seat Height 31.5” / 80.0 cm Width 31.8” (bar end-to-bar end) / 80.77 cm Height 42.6” (highest portion of the dash) / 108.2 cm Length 81.3” / 206.5 cm Ground Clearance 7.3” / 18.54 cm Rake/Trail 24° / 3.8" Storage Capacity Optional Brammo hard side bags by GIVI. Carrying Capacity Cargo Capacity 368 lbs / 167 kg

(838 lbs / 380 kg total combined motorcycle, rider, passenger and cargo) Wheelbase 58.0” / 147.32 cm Warranty Two year limited factory warranty. Five year or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, limited warranty on the battery modules. www.brammo.com/battery_warranty/ Colors Empulse: True Blood Red, Eclipsed Black,

Empulse R : True Blood Red, Eclipsed Black, Maillot Jaune Yellow, Neodymium Silver Metallic

Edited by CHIEF DOC 99

Probably to compete with HDs electric bike. Good move, but not for me until battery technology improves significantly.

• Like 1

Range -- 58 miles. Recharge - 2 hrs

Spend more time in the bar recharging than riding--- but for some, that's all you need.

B

• Like 2

Don't laugh. If they can find a way to slap a few Indian stickers on it they will. May be one of the "new" models they have been working on for "years".

I guess this is to compete with HD's new electric bike? What? You haven't heard of it? That's because it's such a BRILLIANT IDEA! :ghostface:

I'm not knocking the idea of this concept. Though I appreciate things old-school, I like seeing technology move forward.

• Like 1

Embrace the future my friends and stay thirsty. You ain't seen nothing yet......

Last time I heard that I got stuck with a BetaMax VCR and 500 useless plastic content storage devices.....

I'm holding out for The Hover Bikes Polaris is obviously developing...look at the lines...

6FA52C40-C9E2-4EB6-A990-38BB8CFAD055_zps

Edited by harleynot
  • Like 1

I have mixed emotions about technology.... I'm putting an 8-track player on my Segway....

• Like 2