Indian Motorcycle Community

Route Chart Holder

I'm looking for a holder for my turn by turn directions when I travel long distance. Anyone ever try something like this:

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/?productId=166231&productGroupId=78447&partNumber=22120017

It's made for dual sport bikes - I'm wondering if it will work on my Vintage.

hey Ken, price looks cheap enough. depending on its size, your eyes, and placement . i d go for it. before you leave, load it up and dump a bucket of water on it to see if the paper stays dry. dont know if its plastic gears or rubber band opperated but take extras for back up.. gary

• Like 1

Verify size of paper as when you print yours and tape the sheets together it gets tricky! I've watch the guys on the canonball do theres and its sometimes comical.

Jeff

More than once I'd like to have had a 3"x4" .. mounted to my handlebars with some quick directions for the day ..... Just a list of roads I want to turn on with approx miles on each....... Just need to get off my ass and 'make' one...

Edited by RickkciR
  • Like 1

I've used a tank bag with a clear plastic front on long rides. I fill out 5x8 cards before hand - one for each day - and use it to find my way through unfamiliar country. I've been in a lot of places where if you make a wrong turn you could end up in the middle of bum-fuck-nowhere, or in the middle of places like Ferguson MO.

More than once I'd like to have had a 3"x4" .. mounted to my handlebars with some quick directions for the day ..... Just a list of roads I want to turn on with approx miles on each....... Just need to get off my ass and 'make' one...

That's been my approach - just something like "L @ US-2 - 9 miles" things like that chained together. On trips like I'm planning up to Maine I research where I want to go and plot the course in advance... all that research and plotting fills the void of winter until I can put the plan into action the following summer.

• Like 1

You are on a bike. If you get lost or miss a turn, does it reallly matter? :moped:

No and yes... depends if you have a dozen or two folks behind you ... when you have to do a U turn... there always seems to be a 'fail' with one of them? lol

• Like 1

I've used a tank bag with a clear plastic front on long rides. I fill out 5x8 cards before hand - one for each day - and use it to find my way through unfamiliar country. I've been in a lot of places where if you make a wrong turn you could end up in the middle of bum-fuck-nowhere, or in the middle of places like Ferguson MO.

That's been my approach - just something like "L @ US-2 - 9 miles" things like that chained together. On trips like I'm planning up to Maine I research where I want to go and plot the course in advance... all that research and plotting fills the void of winter until I can put the plan into action the following summer.

Great ideas Ken.. something I want to do when leading group rides... as hinted by Mt95, if I'm out riding ... just putt'n around... I don't care... there are no wrong turns... but... sometimes you need to get from Point A to Point B, without a spider web route :)

Edited by RickkciR

Great ideas Ken.. something I want to do when leading group rides... as hinted by Mt95, if I'm out riding ... just putt'n around... I don't care... there are no wrong turns... but... sometimes you need to get from Point A to Point B, without a spider web route

Like when you need to meet a bunch of fat old guys for lunch. :grin:

• Like 2

This is the 20th century or is it 21th century or maybe its the 19th century. You ole fuckers are a bunch of tight asses now I know some of you ole boys have got some money look at all the motorsickles some of ya got and the custom paint jobs. Spend the money and get yourself a GPS. And no I don't have one on a motorsickle. I still get lost if I suppose to go that a way I go the other way. Last trip we took to Georgia my son had wrote all the directions down on cards he had of the turns.

Which reminds me of years ago before I gots married. The girl I married live in Flatonia and I lived about 26 mile from there in Smithville. After I took her home I would get with her brothers and ride the rodes a drinking till the wee hours. Well after I left them boys I was on my way home and stop in Cistern to take me a piss. After I completed this task I get back in my car and commence a driving home. I start coming to lights of a town and stop at red light and looks around and says hmmmm this don't look like Smithville it was Flatonia some how after I tooks me leak I got in the car and turned around and headed to Flatonia. :ooh2: Dan chit now I had to turn around and drive 26 mile back to Smithville. Maybe it was the draw of that hot female body that caused me to turn around.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a holder for my turn by turn directions when I travel long distance. Anyone ever try something like this:

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/?productId=166231&productGroupId=78447&partNumber=22120017

It's made for dual sport bikes - I'm wondering if it will work on my Vintage.

We used those ( and similar) turn chart holders for Enduros. You use a roll of cash register tape and write whatever you want on the roll and feed it in. GPS would be easier.

But who cares if your lost, unless you're low on gas!

GPS huh....

I bought one of those while I worked at PPHD - I had an employee discount - the problem I have with it is that I can't figure out how to download a specific route that I want to take. What I'd like to do is fiddle around with Google maps and set the route, then (somehow) download that into the GPS. I can't seem to do that. If you can't download the specific route you want to take your GPS will decide the route for you, and often this is freeway the whole way.

Who was as IRIP last year? We took a group ride over to Idaho City.. it was a great ride. They guy leading our group was using a GPS to find his way.. We got to Idaho City fine.. but then he unwittingly took us first on a twisted tour of Idaho City.. up to the top of a hill at some hotel resort... back down and back through downtown, then off on some back woods road over a mountain - where there were these vintage military planes on display in the middle of nowhere, then back down the other side of the mountain, then this way and that way until we finally found our way home. Afterward he told us that his Garmin was giving him all the "RECALCULATING" crap and sending him in all the wrong directions.

So old fashioned paper directions seems like the best idea to me.

Edited by KenB
  • Like 1

GPS huh....

I bought one of those while I worked at PPHD - I had an employee discount - the problem I have with it is that I can't figure out how to download a specific route that I want to take. What I'd like to do is fiddle around with Google maps and set the route, then (somehow) download that into the GPS. I can't seem to do that. If you can't download the specific route you want to take your GPS will decide the route for you, and often this is freeway the whole way.

Who was as IRIP last year? We took a group ride over to Idaho City.. it was a great ride. They guy leading our group was using a GPS to find his way.. We got to Idaho City fine.. but then he unwittingly took us first on a twisted tour of Idaho City.. up to the top of a hill at some hotel resort... back down and back through downtown, then off on some back woods road over a mountain - where there were these vintage military planes on display in the middle of nowhere, then back down the other side of the mountain, then this way and that way until we finally found our way home. Afterward he told us that his Garmin was giving him all the "RECALCULATING" crap and sending him in all the wrong directions.

"recalculating" is bad enough in the car...no way I would want that in my helmet. I ride to get those voices OUT OF my head

GPS huh....

Even if you have one of the fancy motorcycle GPS units that let you load a route into it... it still doesn't follow your planned route. A route is planned with waypoints, and the GPS tries to find it's own way between the points. The GPS won't allow you to put in enough points to force it into submission. Pretty much useless for planning a specific route. Using the "avoid highways" option means, to the lady in the GPS, "Find me the most f'ed up way possible, make sure to use unmarked roads going up steep inclines with switchbacks if you can, and , hey, I'd like to go 50 miles out of the way too..."

• Like 2

"recalculating" is bad enough in the car...no way I would want that in my helmet. I ride to get those voices OUT OF my head

Even if you have one of the fancy motorcycle GPS units that let you load a route into it... it still doesn't follow your planned route. A route is planned with waypoints, and the GPS tries to find it's own way between the points. The GPS won't allow you to put in enough points to force it into submission. Pretty much useless for planning a specific route. Using the "avoid highways" option means, to the lady in the GPS, "Find me the most f'ed up way possible, make sure to use unmarked roads going up steep inclines with switchbacks if you can, and , hey, I'd like to go 50 miles out of the way too..."

which is why I continue to make my own notes and follow my own directions.

Actually I think this thing is too small, and I'll probably stick with my tank bag or find something similar like this:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/River-Road-Luggage/River-Road-Map-Pouch-Large/139976.html?gclid=CJ-twM-jlMMCFUE0aQod_X4ADg

Actually I think this thing is too small, and I'll probably stick with my tank bag or find something similar like this:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/River-Road-Luggage/River-Road-Map-Pouch-Large/139976.html?gclid=CJ-twM-jlMMCFUE0aQod_X4ADg

That, and similar, held your score card for Enduros. That would be a good option, be careful looking down if you're on the move. You know how quick them cars can pull out of a side road...................... :shocked:

kind of big, have to tape the front side during monsoon rain and replace the orings with heavier. but this is what we used on the Cannonball.lindas-i-phone-589.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

picture-450.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

• Like 1

Like when you need to meet a bunch of fat old guys for lunch. :grin:

Live to Ride, Ride to Eat

• Like 1

Kinda' liking this. In addition to the GPS I sometimes utilize, this is exactly what I need. Easily tucked away when not in use.... SCORE!

kind of big, have to tape the front side during monsoon rain and replace the orings with heavier. but this is what we used on the Cannonball.lindas-i-phone-589.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

picture-450.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

Gary - I've looked on line - but can't find anything like this... the closest I came was what I linked to in the original post.

Ken, there brand name is Touratech. they have one similar to what you showed. also a 6", a 8.5" which i used . they also have map cases. here is a deal on them. well not a deal but where to find them.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/aqsCNZ/01-020-0030-01.jpg?size=prodfull

http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/rWNRTp/CM-1.jpg?size=prodfull

hope theres something there that will work. gary

touratech roadbook holder

Edited by colo.gw