Indian Motorcycle Community

Garage Floor Coating Ideas

Howdy all, we are building a new house and I am looking to turn the garage into something nicer than just a garage, starting with the floors. I've seen epoxy based granite chip floor coverings, and am wondering if anyone here has any experience, pros and cons on DIY methods. Has anyone tried an epoxy process and had good results?

Thanks!

That was my original thought a few years back.. ... but ... ending up going with locking tiles ...

Seal and polish the concrete and go with the interlocking tiles. I put the epoxy on mine (one coat) and it's not enough, peeling and chipping. By sealing the concrete well you can pull up the tile and clean if needed and by the time you put multiple coats of epoxy down you might as well go with the tiles.

As hard as I try not to, I usually coat mine with 20-50 Castrol GTX, Red-Line Shockproof, Bel-Ray 85W & Bel-Ray 30wt. fork oil... :grin:

• Like 5

I put down the Rustoleum Epoxy-Shield floor coating on my garage floor back in 2003 or so. I bought it at Lowe's and it's pretty tough and held up everywhere except where the car tires sit. The rest of the floor still looked great but last year I decided to go with the new and improved version with the "no-peel" guarantee. It still came up in the same places.

My brother-in-law had Nature Stone put down in his garage and it looks awesome and it'll probaby last forever. This is what I'd like to go with but, unfortunately, it is very expensive.

A friend of mine just bought a new retirement condo and they had the new epoxy-based granite chip coating put on their garage floor. It looks great and is about 1/3 the cost of the Nature Stone. However, they haven't been there long enough to judge its durability.

I use a section of locking tiles over bare concrete in garage. Am considering buying more tiles. Got the [expensive] conformal designer coating sprayed over concrete patio about one year ago. Conformal coating is holding up well on patio.

I used the rust oleum kit. I did one bay at a time. It came out really great. Looked great. Then I did the other side. Looked just as good. After a few months, it all started to flake off. (I did do the acid wash before I did anything, btw.)

Why the tiles? Not sure if I have seen those anywhere, am curious.

The more I read up on Prep, etc, etc... more horror stories I found. So I decided to do the tiles. I think I spent about $2k to do a 24x50 area if memory serves me correctly. Snapped them together /installed in one day. "Will handle vehicle rolling loads in excess of 80,000 pounds without any damage to the floor. "

Bought mine here http://www.racedeck.com/. However, COSTCO has some as well, similar

Edited by RickkciR
  • Like 1

I used the epoxy system sold at Home Depot and it has held up great for the last 15 years. I am at the point where I need to strip it and do it again as there years have worn on it. I was very happy with it and it only took a day and a half to treat and apply then another 24 hours to complete dry. Well worth it.

• Like 1

I had the dirt covered with concrete.... so far it's holding up very well....

• Like 2

I had the dirt covered with concrete.... so far it's holding up very well....

I couldn't do that to my KM ;)

I would call a floor guy to get a base cost to compare. I hire these guys often for work, and prep s everything plus installation on green concrete is an issue in itself. My local guy quoted me $2000 to do my 900 sq ft garage in a professional system.

I have priced out doing the job myself with professional materials and it was almost a wash having a pro do it.

I have seen $50K in flooring peal up in sheets cause they guy tried to rush it.

I did the rustoleum from Home depot on a new garage in Tn but I did a little welding, well maybe a lot of welding on it and the whole floor ended up pealing up.

Point being if you shop around you might be able to get a professional grade floor cheaper then you think, but I would expect to pay about $2,000 for a 2 car garage.

• Like 1

As hard as I try not to, I usually coat mine with 20-50 Castrol GTX, Red-Line Shockproof, Bel-Ray 85W & Bel-Ray 30wt. fork oil... :grin:

C'mon - you ride a Gilroy Vibrator - you must have a lotta Red Loctite on that floor as well.

Here's something that uses recycled tyres. If Mike Holmes endorses it, it's good enough for me. I've seen him use it on a stable floor, patio, ...

http://duraroc.com/residential-2/other-applications/

C'mon - you ride a Gilroy Vibrator - you must have a lotta Red Loctite on that floor as well.

Here's something that uses recycled tyres. If Mike Holmes endorses it, it's good enough for me. I've seen him use it on a stable floor, patio, ...

Silly man, There's only 3 fastenerz on a Garlick that needs red,,,

• Like 1

I painted my floor red so I can't see the loctite

• Like 2

I used Reflectonium . . . works way better than having to wear shoe or boot mirrors. Wink wink. Nudge nudge. Say no more.

I use the cheapest light gray floor paint I can find. My garage is part work shop/part mancave. My work bench,wood working equipment are all set up on caster rollers . Every few years I'll take a couple days roll everything out ,clean or repaint the walls,and repaint the floor . Then roll everything back. I also have a battery leaf blower that I use weekly to blow out/dust the floor.

What the hell kind of garage does this guy own . . .

imag0011.jpg

No motorcycles, no mountains of once used exercise equipment, no boxes of unidentified junk (aka treasures), no tools, no freezer or fridge . . .

Silly man, There's only 3 fastenerz on a Garlick that needs red,,,

Yeah - three on the seat, three on the front fender, three on the rear fender, three on the ....

imag0011.jpg

No motorcycles, no mountains of once used exercise equipment, no boxes of unidentified junk (aka treasures), no tools, no freezer or fridge . . .

He hasn't unloaded the moving truck yet ...

imag0011.jpg

Thats NOT a garage, it's more like a closet...

Thats NOT a garage, it's more like a closet...

I've heard rumours that there are some people who actually park cars and trucks in those buildings. Pretty rare - I've never met anyone like that.

• Like 1