Indian Motorcycle Community

Indian History And Polaris

Even thought I have only been riding Indian since 2004, we have all seen several incantations of the product.

Indian came out in 1901, died in 1953, and was picked up and morphed by several companies, they were the good, bad and the ugly.

In my opinion, no matter what Polaris's take on the subject is, if a motorcycle was manufactured, and titled as an Indian, than that period belongs in Indian's history. I'm sure not saying much of it was good, but they were still badged and titled as Indian. Ignoring some of these abominations won't make them disapear.

I also seem a little surprized that they dishonor the Gilroy years especially. I honestly believe the Gilroy Guys wanted to build a great motorcycle, it just didn't work out that way. There are still a large amount of us out there who ride the Gilroy years, and alot more of you who may have gotten ride of your Gilroy, but still acknowledge the time frame and the bike you have.

I'm not asking Polaris to ramp up parts, but at least give this era some credit. When AMF bought Harley, it wasn't a great time for them sales or quality wise, but it did keep them afloat until the buyout, and yes, they do list that time frame in their archives.

Anyway, as long as my Gilroy will run, I'll ride it.

• Like 4

Keep in mind that not even HD supports bikes much older than 10 years.

And Mercedes and BMW support every model they've ever made.

• Like 3

And Mercedes and BMW support every model they've ever made.

and Toyota.

I got a RECALL fixed on my 1984 Land Cruiser in 2009...gas tank and all hoses and valves. Some parts they ran out of but most parts you can still get serviced and replaced from OEM. Was never told ONCE that the vehicle was too old and they wont work on it... :)

Edited by Brock
  • Like 1

To be fair, auto makers can recover the cost of making and storing parts because they have demand for them. There are 1000's of old BMW's, M-B's, and land Cruisers still around. Producing, distributing, and storing parts for a couple hundred bikes...that is a money losing proposition for sure.

To be fair, auto makers can recover the cost of making and storing parts because they have demand for them. There are 1000's of old BMW's, M-B's, and land Cruisers still around. Producing, distributing, and storing parts for a couple hundred bikes...that is a money losing proposition for sure.

Absolutely...but compared to the few hundred 50 years old Mercs and Beemers out there on the road...the numbers are similar. Total BMW 507s made were 252 but any full dealership will service and get parts for them. I have a neighbor with one and he still drives it and gets it services at the dealership here.

I've owned several Mercedes cars and they will service them for life, including my 1939 170V. I heard, as long as they have a part number, they will get you the part or make one for you. They don't throw away any of the old castings or molds so, although it wouldn't be cheap to get a new part made, they will still do it.

2bb . . . I agree . . . Polaris seems to be suffering from selective memory loss.

Now, when I've been to the dealership, the sales guys have a different attitude. They all stood around and ooo-ed and ahhh-ed at The Iron Beast and asked plenty of questions. Go figure.

In recent news releases they tout their "One Year Anniversary" Not sure if my 2012 was even made by them even though it says so. Of course they even have 2011 on the tank badge which was KM's watch. To fucking big for their britches, I don't care though as I will ride Indians FOREVER. I agree their historical perspective really blows.

Yep they have selective history. I will probably get a new one in the next few years just cause I have problems going long distances now on the Scout (bike is getting old not me :grin: ) But will keep my gilroy and it will always be my favorite Indian.

Al