Indian Motorcycle Community

Waldo Fl Disbands Police Force

Its the little things in life that makes me happy.

Story copy below

Most people have never heard of Waldo, Florida, a tiny town of about 1,000 residents that lies along Route 310 between Gainesville and Jacksonville. But motorists who have driven through the tiny community may know it all too well. For decades, Waldo has operated one of the most notorious speed traps in America

The speed trap has been considered such a blatant money-grab that AAA, one of the nation's leading advocates for traffic safety, has rebuked the town's enforcement practices. In 2003, the organization took the unprecedented step of erecting billboards along Route 310 that warn motorists of the speed traps ahead.

But now, the traffic situation in Waldo may be changing. Last week, the city council voted to disband the town's police force. The vote came on the heels of the resignation of the interim Cpl. Kenneth Smith, the interim chief. Five of the department's officers had told the city council that Smith had imposed a "strict ticket quota," according to The Associated Press.

As a percentage of its city budget, no other municipality in Florida relies on traffic citations as heavily as Waldo. The small town has derived as much as 73 percent of its overall budget from traffic fines. Florida Department of Law Enforcement documents say the ideal ratio of police to citizens is 2.5 officers for every 1,000 citizens. Prior to the resignation, Waldo had eight.

Edited by toycar10

i laugh everytime i go through there on the way back to Clearwater to check on my mom. Lawtey has it to if memory serves me right!

Jeff

I want that to happen in my town. Hell, ALL towns! Parasites, all of them.

Edited by Snowdiver

Unfortunately, because of the government's insatiable appetite for money at every level, many police departments (and Highway Patrols) have just been converted into nothing but revenuers. Writing $150 tickets for 5 MPH over the speed limit has nothing to do with safety. Like most government agencies in search of the almighty dollar, they've lost sight of the real reasons they were created in the first place.

• Like 2

They lie low right down the road from my place, steep grade, sweeping low visibility corner in the middle of absolutely nothing 5 mi form the state line, zero public safety. At that point, how can one respect the law, they do it to themselves.

• Like 2

Hell, you think this is bad?

http://www.forbes.com/2011/06/08/property-civil-forfeiture.html

There's a little podunk town somewhere in Tx named Teneha, near the Lousiana border, that has elevated this to outrageous levels:

http://www.texasobserver.org/preying-innocent-civil-forfeiture/

The moral of the story seems to be: Never drive a vehicle worth more than $350, never carry cash or bling, and wear clothes from 2nd hand stores.

Highway robbery.....literally. When taking your money isn't enough, resort to "confiscating" other items of value. This is criminal.....but, welcome to Hope and Change.

• Like 1